• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Video of Student Schooling Officer on OC

mobiushky

lol nice! cheapest of all mods then! i didnt think about stopping by a skate shop i dont even think we have one around here anymore, ill haveto look into that, thanks for the tip!

The stuff I ended up getting is "clear", but ends up being a little white-ish on the gun. It's see through so I figured it would be less obvious. I think maybe I'd prefer the solid black, but it's not ugly. Maybe tonight I'll take a pic and post it so you can see.

LoneEchoWolf

The stuff I ended up getting is "clear", but ends up being a little white-ish on the gun. It's see through so I figured it would be less obvious. I think maybe I'd prefer the solid black, but it's not ugly. Maybe tonight I'll take a pic and post it so you can see.

ya less obvious is always nice, nothing like taking a good looking sidearm and makeing it real ugly. but maybe the black would fit in better.

JamesB

I had almost the same experience at the El Paso County courthouse! hah! Mine was a knife in a backpack.. same result, he gave me the knife to take back to my car at the exit .. rofl..

--Rob

So you are both going out of your way to intentionally break the law and harrass the local constabulary, to the point that you are trying to get attention and start a "situation" in the middle of thier home turf??

Wow, and you all accuse me of crazy stuff...

My point here is:
I have been stopped far more than 7 times. I have been searched far more than seven times. My Glock has been logged in as evidence on five seperate occasions. I have been charged as a criminal numerous times. I have been ARRESTED twice. ALL from simply doing what you do every day. Open Carry of a handgun.

Yes, I live in Colorado which has some of the best laws in regard to firearms. It is also home to Denver and the Denver PD. I don't think I need to disparage the Denver PD anymore at the moment, usually the media does pretty well. But it is easier to get into one of thier uniforms than it is to register for food stamps... And even if I'm not in Denver, that doesn't mean that I can't run into the one guy on the force that just doesn't like guns being in the hands of "ordinary citizens." He would prefer that only those who are properly trained and liscensed should have that ability.

If you don't think this can happen, even here in wonderful Colorado, then I personally invite you here to my home to help me sort through the 3 inch stack of paperwork that is evidence of all I have just said.

Bellum_Intus

So you are both going out of your way to intentionally break the law and harrass the local constabulary, to the point that you are trying to get attention and start a "situation" in the middle of thier home turf??

Wow, and you all accuse me of crazy stuff...

You're joking right?

It's called I forgot it was there, and the LEO was very cool about it and let me take it back to my car.. wasn't intentional anything..

I seriously hope you were kidding..

--Rob

And I believe you.. just SHOCKED that i've OC'd in Colorado for 10 years and have never had anything happen to me.. and I hear 'horror stories' .. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is..

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc&feature=related

This video sums up why I feel the way I do. Don't talk to police. Only what is required by law. Nothing more. You just never know. It's really long, but it's good.

Anything you say can and will be used AGAINST you. Nothing you say can be used FOR you. Thank that through.

I've seen that one.. not bad advice I suppose.. hope I never have to use the advice :p

--Rob

mobiushky

I've seen that one.. not bad advice I suppose.. hope I never have to use the advice :p

--Rob

Agreed, just keep in mind. Say you get the PD bump for your OC. In the course of conversation you say something about a broken law not related to OC. That's now evidence. Not that you would. But wow, we can just be too talkative in our society. Just a thought.

JamesB

You're joking right?

It's called I forgot it was there, and the LEO was very cool about it and let me take it back to my car.. wasn't intentional anything..

I seriously hope you were kidding..

--Rob

And I believe you.. just SHOCKED that i've OC'd in Colorado for 10 years and have never had anything happen to me.. and I hear 'horror stories' .. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is..

Rob, I am kidding.
But I also know that I read in the paper often enough that somebody forgot he had a handgun in his carry on bag as he went through security...nobody ever buys that he "forgot."
I really do think that you are a decent guy, and I promise to not hate you simply because you will be wearing a badge. Just promise me that when you get that shiny badge you won't hate us just cause we don't.
That's my point.

Bellum_Intus

Rob, I am kidding.
But I also know that I read in the paper often enough that somebody forgot he had a handgun in his carry on bag as he went through security...nobody ever buys that he "forgot."
I really do think that you are a decent guy, and I promise to not hate you simply because you will be wearing a badge. Just promise me that when you get that shiny badge you won't hate us just cause we don't.
That's my point.

Ok .. whew.. lol
But yes, it was a forgot.. :p

And.. *IF* I ever get sworn, I won't bother any OC'ers.. heh.. really.. :p

--Rob

Bellum_Intus

But will you stand idly by and watch a fellow badge hassle a OC? No insinuation's on my part just a question.

No I won't , I've already had indepth conversations with Rangers here in Colorado Springs re: OC..
Support and Defend the Constitution of the United States is / was not only the Oath I swore in the US Army, it'll be the one I will be bound by if I'm accepted as a Ranger.

--Rob

Beau

I seem to remember a certain outspoken member hear go off on such a statement, we'll see if he speaks up.
Was it me?

I'm not going to flame ya Rob. (at least not intentionally)
Yes, if they get a call they have to respond. What is wrong with responding as you suggest, with a "hey, how are ya?" "Good, and you?" There is NO requirement that they detain, search, seize, demand id, or interrogate anyone.
There is no requirement that they have to make contact. Where does it say they can't simply observe and report?

As to the video in the OP. It doesn't appear that he was baiting and I feel that he handled the encounter very well. He stood his ground without getting belligerent with the officer. Just because he has video of the incident doesn't mean he was intentionally baiting. I carry a voice recorder and am looking into video for my car/bike and possibly a video pen. I feel that any encounter has the potential to turn bad. Being able to produce as much evidence as I can of the encounter doesn't seem to me to be a bad idea.

As to baiting officers. How do you make the determination a person is baiting? Unless they outright say I am OC'ing to get stopped, how do you come to the conclusion that that is what they are doing? Even if they are baiting I personally don't have a problem with it. If someone is willing to intentionally take all that can come with a negative encounter for the purpose of correcting inappropriate behavior by law enforcement then go right ahead. Not to mention that whether an OC'er is baiting or not the fact remains that the officer chose to violate a citizens rights. So who is in the wrong here? The person lawfully carrying a firearm regardless of intent or the officer that decided they don't care about the law and how dare a mere citizen challenge their authority?

Bellum_Intus

Was it me?
How do you make the determination a person is baiting? Unless they outright say I am OC'ing to get stopped, how do you come to the conclusion that that is what they are doing? Even if they are baiting I personally don't have a problem with it. If someone is willing to intentionally take all that can come with a negative encounter for the purpose of correcting inappropriate behavior by law enforcement then go right ahead. Not to mention that whether an OC'er is baiting or not the fact remains that the officer chose to violate a citizens rights. So who is in the wrong here? The person lawfully carrying a firearm regardless of intent or the officer that decided they don't care about the law and how dare a mere citizen challenge their authority?

Look a few posts up, the florida video I linked.. that is baiting..

--Rob

LoneEchoWolf

Was it me?

There is no requirement that they have to make contact. Where does it say they can't simply observe and report?

As to the video in the OP. It doesn't appear that he was baiting and I feel that he handled the encounter very well. He stood his ground without getting belligerent with the officer. Just because he has video of the incident doesn't mean he was intentionally baiting. I carry a voice recorder and am looking into video for my car/bike and possibly a video pen. I feel that any encounter has the potential to turn bad. Being able to produce as much evidence as I can of the encounter doesn't seem to me to be a bad idea.

As to baiting officers. How do you make the determination a person is baiting? Unless they outright say I am OC'ing to get stopped, how do you come to the conclusion that that is what they are doing? Even if they are baiting I personally don't have a problem with it. If someone is willing to intentionally take all that can come with a negative encounter for the purpose of correcting inappropriate behavior by law enforcement then go right ahead. Not to mention that whether an OC'er is baiting or not the fact remains that the officer chose to violate a citizens rights. So who is in the wrong here? The person lawfully carrying a firearm regardless of intent or the officer that decided they don't care about the law and how dare a mere citizen challenge their authority?

I completely agree the LEO was in the wrong no arguing that, guy seized his sidearm before he was even done speaking. that alone shows me the LEO was ignorant. i also agree that any situation could turn bad, thats why i also have a voice recorder and my phone isn't all that bad at video in a pinch. Also as you said theres almost no way to tell if someones baiting or not unless they outright say it. but theres many ways to say it while your recording yourself that others will look at and come off as wrong no matter what there stand is. Like the guy going fishing to me clearly is baiting by how he starts the video and points out the leo then says something like lets park right in front of him, not saying that wasn't the best parking spot available to him just saying it looks weird to say something like that to a observer. I'm always willing to help the Cause and always behind the people that truly are helping the cause but its getting harder and harder to tell the difference.

zach

Was it me?

No Sir, at least not to my recollection that time that comes to mind. I don't post much, but I observe as often as possible.

To some the actual process of OC'ing is baiting. Look, I have a gun.... Some guys are casual about it, others, well a little more militant. Very few opinions from the anti-gun crowd will be swayed from positive experiences IMO.

Back to the flaming....

Bellum_Intus

To some the actual process of OC'ing is baiting. Look, I have a gun.... Some guys are casual about it, others, well a little more militant. Very few opinions from the anti-gun crowd will be swayed from positive experiences IMO.

Back to the flaming....

Lol.. this has been tame in comparison to the VERY heated conversation I am having with my unfortunately UBER LIBERAL "friend" at the moment.. (not here lol )

--Rob

Beau

No Sir, at least not to my recollection that time that comes to mind. I don't post much, but I observe as often as possible.

Back to the flaming....

Agreed. But it's not just the anti's that are against it. Most of the negativity against OC comes from gun owners of the CC variety. To them there is absolutely no reason to OC and anyone that does is an idiot and asking for trouble. These people hurt us more than any video by someone posting a video of themself standing against an oppressive government.

Bellum_Intus

Agreed. But it's not just the anti's that are against it. Most of the negativity against OC comes from gun owners of the CC variety. To them there is absolutely no reason to OC and anyone that does is an idiot and asking for trouble. These people hurt us more than any video by someone posting a video of themself standing against an oppressive government.

FYI.. I don't have a CHP.. :p

--Rob