Thread: Why I OC...

Why I OC...

Because LEO's OC. Armed guards OC. People who deliver to banks/atm's OC. Guards who stand out in front of banks or some stores in bad neighborhoods OC. If people knew or thought they might be unarmed then they would most likely be robbed. Do you every see a BG trying to rob a cop or armed gaurd who's OCing... I've never heard of that happening. There is no way anyone can tell me that when people OC it doesn't deter crime! You will never see a BG OCing. Plus when I go places, the people working there notice me & I usually get service immediately. lol The people who do get robbed are the ones who CC. The more guns BG's see the less crime we will have. Just look at Chicago... 250+ murders this year. Carrying a gun for self defense is illegal in Illinois.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Armed guards delivering or picking up currency have been attacked. They are easily identifiable to BG's who have targeted them specifically and worked out their plan for the robbery. Armed citizens are almost never such targets (can think of one) because BG's don't see them as "food".... unless the citizen makes it obvious he is or has "food" in his possession (think money or something really valuable).
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Because I do not trust anyone to protect myself and my family other than myself and my family. Besides, cops/armed guards don't fit in my holster.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Because I can.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I OC because I love guns and love my right to carry them...however I think all of us would be lying if we said that we didn't OC for any political statement. Haha.(Definitely not a bad thing though)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I don't OC to make a political statement. I OC out of principle. I will not pay to exercise a right, and I get personally offended when an officer tries to make the claim that I'm only OC'ing for attention. No, I believe if I was OC'ing for attention I would sling on an AK47 or AR15 instead of a sidearm. If I was going for political statements it would likely be the same as I'm not one to hold back and that would be the quickest way to get attention for the statement.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyCherokee View Post
    I don't OC to make a political statement. I OC out of principle. I will not pay to exercise a right, and I get personally offended when an officer tries to make the claim that I'm only OC'ing for attention. No, I believe if I was OC'ing for attention I would sling on an AK47 or AR15 instead of a sidearm. If I was going for political statements it would likely be the same as I'm not one to hold back and that would be the quickest way to get attention for the statement.
    Same here I OC because I am not a victim, and do not intend on ever being one. Besides I get all the attention I need by just being ugly.

Wowwy!!!

You have made my no-no's in your very first post...

I advise you to delete it,,, do it soon before it gets quoted!

I see that you are a CCer,
    I see that you think an OCer will get shot first during an armed robbery,
    I see that you belive in the "element of surprise,
    I wont comment on the other points of your post,
    they are the points that could be used against you, someday, in a court of law!

After you have read here for awhile, you will understand that taking my advise now, was the right thing to do.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by American Pride! View Post
    I don't open carry because I'm sick of all these pos criminals getting "life" on my tax dollars! If I go to the bank, walk into the grocery store, etc...and some ****** bag has a weapon to rob the place, he can see your open carry and identify you as a threat before you even knows he's there. I'd rather sit there quiet for a moment until his attention is past me then draw down. He even flinches his weapon other than where I tell him and I'm just going to save everyone a lot of tax dollars. And to show I'm a good sport...I won't even send a bill for the minimum 2 critical defense .40 cal rounds. And SD ammo isn't cheap.
    So you would rather take a chance of either getting killed, killing accidentally an innocent, maybe losing everything that you own, than just preventing it from happening in the first place? And to think CC people try to make fun of OC people. BTW even if the shooting you wish for comes justified, you will lose your firearm, and you should pray to God that the local prosecutor never reads your post.

Sigh, some people just can't help but give anti's ammo...

Buying clothes to CC is not much different than buying maternity clothes.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyCherokee View Post
    While negative attention is indeed attention, it's not the sort of positive image that helps our cause.

Case in point: This afternoon a friend and I were discussing why our city counsel banned open carry during counsel meetings. They never used to have a problem with it, and citizens did occasionally open carry to the meetings. This practice continued until about eight years ago, when some idiot began carrying a shotgun to the meetings both to garner attention and to make a "political statement." Result: Ban on OC.

If I want attention, I can throw a rock through the window of the local police division. Our cause needs respect, not attention.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by American Pride! View Post
    I don't open carry because I'm sick of all these pos criminals getting "life" on my tax dollars! If I go to the bank, walk into the grocery store, etc...and some ****** bag has a weapon to rob the place, he can see your open carry and identify you as a threat before you even knows he's there.so we will start with the assumption that hes absolutley hell bent on robbing that particualr store and hes not gonna be deterred by the sight of a (potential) wolf among the sheep. And we will assume that just because hes robbing a store hes prepared to committ cold blooded murder out of hand. So based on that assumption it seems like places would get robbed even with police officers standing there in line, I mean after all these guys are just killing the threat out of hand and arent about to leave without robbing that store right?

I'd rather sit there quiet for a moment until his attention is past me then draw down.so even though this guy is sooo blood thirsty that hes preapred to just walk up behind the armed citizen and blow his head off without saying a word, we will let him wave his gun around and maybe even point it at us assuming his blood thirsty ass wont just kill you randomly out of hand. (and thats assuming that hes an inexperienced criminal so he cant survey a crowd and pick out the most likely threat exposed gun or no gun like most other criminals can,) or maybe you have managed to gain such steely control of your emotions that in a life threatening situation you can control every inch of your body from your eyes to your hands to the way you stand so as not to broadcast that you might be a threat to the rookie cold blooded killer criminal guy, weeell good for you now you can go all Charlie bronson on this dude just like in the movies.

He even flinches his weapon other than where I tell him and I'm just going to save everyone a lot of tax dollars. ahh so we will again assume that you can draw a wepon from under your shirt or inside your jacket and take aim and dispatch this guy with extreme prejudice before he sees your movement and shoots you (even though his gun is already in his hand..)but why would you wait for him to flinch his weapon, after all hes this crazy homicidal rookie criminal hell bent on robbing the crack and snack even if he has to kill everyone in it and hell you already said you carry your gun around just waiting for this moment.. ..
    now are all these assumptions possible? meh maybe, but it strikes me that this guy will LIKELY go somewhere else where the sheep arent armed but hey what do I know even as a cop I strapped on my body armor and gun belt every night and prayed that id make it home alive, and that id never have to take a human life, maybe we owe a debt of thanks to tough guys like yourself that carry concealed in the hopes that they will get to "smoke a bad guy" I wonder when Budweiser will make a song for you guys..
    Last edited by jrob33; 07-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    I open carry because I'd prefer to die of old age with a collection of firearms that were never used to take a human life.

Quote Originally Posted by jrob33 View Post
    now are all these assumptions possible? meh maybe, but it strikes me that this guy will LIKELY go somewhere else where the sheep arent armed but hey what do I know even as a cop I strapped on my body armor and gun belt every night and prayed that id make it home alive, and that id never have to take a human life, maybe we owe a debt of thanks to tough guys like yourself that carry concealed in the hopes that they will get to "smoke a bad guy" I wonder when Budweiser will make a song for you guys..
    I think Dennis Leary sang a couple songs for them...

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I see that you are a CCer,
    I doubt he even carries.

I have a small collection of "Why I Carry" type papers to DL at http://tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns

Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Please do not use url shorteners. They're unnecessary online and aren't generally trusted.

Among many reasons, I OC because of Little Lizzy -

http://www.handgunrepairshop.com/Why...rry_a_gun.html .

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Please do not use url shorteners. They're unnecessary online and aren't generally trusted.

Sorry but links with bunches of letters and numbers in it can't be remembered very easily. You better not click on any links if your that paranoid, they can ALL be spoofed. I also have the links listed on cards and such where space is a premium. If you don't wanna click to it...don't. But I assure you, my links are all good. I'm not exactly a rookie.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

I OC and CC depending on how I feel but the reason I carry is just in case I have to defend a family member, friend, or myself from and attacker.
    Carrying isn't suppossed to feel comfortable...Its supposed to feel safe.

I OC because, in a wheelchair, unless I wear a shoulder holster, I don't have access to the normal places one conceals a gun and it is WAY too hot here in Louisiana to be wearing an extra layer of clothes! It is also MUCH faster for me to access OC VS. CC in my bag.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

silence is golden

regardless of how you carry, your reasoning should be kept private. dont brag about your pipe dram scenario's.
    you just dont know whe is reading these post.
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

because if I am not armed I could run afoul of the law by not being able to "come to the aid of the civil power when called upon by lawfully authority of a peace officer."
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I carry a gun - Get over it

I carry a gun - Get over it http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/2012/07/30/editor.html
    By Susan Callaway, Editor (AKA MamaLiberty)
    July 30, 2012

I carry a gun. All the time, just about everywhere I go except to bed
    and the shower. Even then, a gun is within a foot or so of my hand all
    the time. An occasional trip into the disarmed victim zone of the post
    office, and my last (and I do mean last) trip to California to visit
    family are the extreme and very temporary exceptions.

So, why do I carry it? I'm asked frequently, so much that I printed up
    cards http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/Guncard.htm to hand out to the
    curious. I've spent a lot of time trying to explain the most important
    reason:

I own my life and am the only one responsible for that life and my
    safety. I can, and do, work with others - including the local sheriff's
    dept. - for mutual defense, but in the end it is the responsibility of
    each person to guard their own safety and that of their legitimate
    dependents.

No, I'm not paranoid or afraid.

The fact that there is little crime where I live is not relevant because
    there is no place where the risk of attack is zero. So a gun is simply
    insurance. But, unlike an auto policy, it can't do me any good in an
    emergency if it is locked up and unloaded. It has to be instantly
    available, in my hand to be effective. And, just as with my auto
    insurance, I sincerely hope I never have to use it.

Of course, free lance criminals and maniacs are not the only, or even
    the most dangerous threats. The entire history of the world demonstrates
    clearly that those who desire to own other people and control their
    lives never cease their efforts to render them weak, helpless and
    unarmed in every way.

Innocents Betrayed http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/ib.htm
    Genocide examples from all over the world: Russia, China, Germany,
    Cambodia, Guatemala, Uganda, Rwanda and more. Examples showing how
    disarmed people in America have suffered persecution, mass murder,
    slavery, and terrorist attacks.

A fast-moving, modern production, Innocents Betrayed presents the
    entirely true accounts of how civilian disarmament made possible the
    killing of millions. The point is made sharply, clearly, unforgettably.
    It’s the factual counterpoint to the lies in Michael Moore’s "Bowling
    for Columbine."
    Then there is the endless mantra of those who think they should decide
    who, where and how a person prepares to defend themselves, if at all.
    They can't seem to get past the rather obvious fact that anyone who
    actually cannot be trusted with the ordinary tools of life should not be
    loose in the first place. Anyone who can't or won't use a gun (or a
    knife, matches, a car, etc.) without deliberately harming others needs
    to be in a cage or a padded room - or dead at the hands of their
    intended victim.

Unfortunately, often it's impossible to know who those people are before
    they hurt others, and most of the time they are left free to harm others
    again and again even when they are apprehended. The insanity of passing
    preemptive "laws," attempting to restrain the vast majority of peaceful
    people in a vain hope of preventing these crimes, is obvious to anyone
    who gives it any rational thought.

Politicians and "authorized journalists," among others, don't seem to be
    capable of much rational thought, of course.

But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other
    person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's
    vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense
    tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.
    Last edited by MamaLiberty; 08-10-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.