• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flap Holster CCW

cuba

Hi you all, this might be a stupid question, but I've been wondering if I carry my pistol completely concealed in a flap holster would that be considered open carry even though the pistol is concealed in the holster and under the flap.:question:

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Hi you all, this might be a stupid question, but I've been wondering if I carry my pistol in a completely concealed flap holster would that be considered open carry even though the pistol is concealed in the holster and under the flap.:question:

Wouldn't think so.

Rich7553

No case law on point. Chances are you would at least be stopped and questioned. Arrested? Perhaps. Prosecuted? I highly doubt it.

Interestingly enough, should the police remove the firearm from the holster in order to run the serial number, they have violated the Supreme Court decision in Arizona v. Hicks on plain view.

77zach

No case law on point. Chances are you would at least be stopped and questioned. Arrested? Perhaps. Prosecuted? I highly doubt it.

Interestingly enough, should the police remove the firearm from the holster in order to run the serial number, they have violated the Supreme Court decision in Arizona v. Hicks on plain view.

I love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jfdEbe7e9GE

I'm sure they'd find a way around it. The highest court just said a fine for failing to buy something = a tax, so we can't depend on precedent or logic, lol.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The highest court just said a fine for failing to buy something = a tax, so we can't depend on precedent or logic, lol.

It's pathetic. This SCOTUS decision is obvious and blatant TREASON. Yet no one makes a move...

I'm reminded of Monty Python. "This calls for immediate discussion!"

America has doomed itself by using good manners as an excuse to let it's government do any damn thing it pleases...

It's too late. You had your chances. Enjoy what your lethargy and ignorance have earned you! I've abandoned this sinking ship. Your only nope now is mass assassination of virtually the entire government. You wouldn't take action when the problem was small, I'm pretty sure you won't take action now that it is huge and right in your face...

There's one thing you can depend on. Your rifle. But without riflemen, it just sits there. A nation of cooks.

77zach

There's one thing you can depend on. Your rifle. But without riflemen, it just sits there. A nation of cooks.

I shot rifleman at the Appleseed. But shooting is such a degenerative skill for me I couldn't shoot anything now. Regardless, I'm a cook in all the other ways, lol. Americans are too comfortable and entertained still. Nobody will lift a finger. The GOP will say they will, but they've never repealed anything.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
this might be a stupid question,

if I carry my pistol completely concealed

would that be considered open carry even though the pistol is concealed in the holster and under the flap.:question:

You're asking that if a completely concealed handgun is not concealed?

lolwut.jpg

It's pathetic. This SCOTUS decision is obvious and blatant TREASON. Yet no one makes a move...

and what action are you taking?

77zach

You're asking that if a completely concealed handgun is not concealed?

If the gun is completely concealed but you can still clearly see the print of a gun it's not considered concealed. If the holster completely conceals all the plastic and metal making up the gun, but the holster is still in the shape of a gun, then it wouldn't be concealed. If the holster was in a very rough L shape, then (I guess) it's concealed.

cuba

If the gun is completely concealed but you can still clearly see the print of a gun it's not considered concealed. If the holster completely conceals all the plastic and metal making up the gun, but the holster is still in the shape of a gun, then it wouldn't be concealed. If the holster was in a very rough L shape, then (I guess) it's concealed.

Say like in a fanny pack ? I guess anything with a substantial size hung off your waist could be considered a holster concealing a fire arm, I wonder how long would it take for the police to stop me if I was to strap on an empty flap holster, or if I even get questioned at all, your right concealed is concealed but mine and your interpretation might not be the police officer interpretation, I'm sure I'll beet the rap (I think) but not the ride and thats the problem right there the total asinine inconvenience. :(

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

if I can see the print of a gun i wouldn't say it is COMPLETELY concealed.

If the holster is in the shape of the gun - then the gun isn't printing. The holster looks that way with or without a firearm inside of it.

EDIT:

IMO^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:

notalawyer

Do you have any legal citations to support your statements?

77zach

Do you have any legal citations to support your statements?

Yes. Search this forum. After senate republicans killed OC last year, this topic was discussed. A bulge that an officer suspects may be a gun=concealed. If the outline of a gun is clearly visible=not concealed. My comments on the holster are extrapolations.

cuba

Yes. Search this forum. After senate republicans killed OC last year, this topic was discussed. A bulge that an officer suspects may be a gun=concealed. If the outline of a gun is clearly visible=not concealed. My comments on the holster are extrapolations.

If your correct I guees that I probably won't be able to carry in this beaut even if the flap is big enogh to cover the grip.

flapholster.jpg

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
if I can see the print of a gun i wouldn't say it is COMPLETELY concealed.

If the holster is in the shape of the gun - then the gun isn't printing. The holster looks that way with or without a firearm inside of it.

EDIT:

IMO^^^^^^^^^

Ah, I did so enjoy my P38 holster full of Cheerios......

Cop performing illegal search: "What's this?"

Me: "Donut seeds."

cuba

Ah, I did so enjoy my P38 holster full of Cheerios......

Cop performing illegal search: "What's this?"

Me: "Donut seeds."

Are you making this up or what.

I was thinking of doing something along those lines but I hadn't decided what to carry in it yet.

Worst case scenario I'll get to inspect how our hard earned taxes are been spent.

Last edited:

notalawyer

I asked for a citation, not advise to search the forum for discussions.

OCDO Rules:
(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Can you provide any?

Last edited:

hammer6

really. what statute is that?