Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Questions regarding CT Open carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2

    Questions regarding CT Open carry

    First off, Hi! I've been lurking on here for some time now trying to keep up with my open carry rights within the limits of CT. Finally got around to registering, and wanted to ask some questions in hopes to clarify a few things, that is if you folk wouldn't mind taking a moment to answer them.

    Typically speaking, I'm not an argumentative person especially with law enforcement since 99% of the time they're doing their job. Now,

    -If a LEO stops me and asks to see my Carry Permit, I've read that unless I've been suspected of commiting a crime I don't have to show them? Is that true?

    -Can I choose to oblige to their request and show them my permit, is there any downside to this? If it makes them happy and go away faster I'm more than willing to make the officer happy and be on their way.

    -This one is more a personal preference, but If you get pulled over for a traffic violation, do you guys inform the officer once he comes up to your window that you just want to let them know you have a CT state carry permit, and have a loaded firearm on your person? From what I've been told this is up to your judgement, though one guy told me I will get arrested and go to jail if I tell a state trooper that.....Last I checked the idea was to make the officer as comfortable as you can so he might go easier on you and let you off with a warning .

    -Finally, a lot of times my firearm is exposed because the clothing I wear isn't very baggy, and sometimes my shirt rides up and gets caught behind my holster. As to avoid any issues with LEO's, is there something I should print out and carry with my? Like a section of the state statute?

    Maybe this, http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...emo-Dec-5-2011 ?

    Thanks again for your responses. Its much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
    First off, Hi! I've been lurking on here for some time now trying to keep up with my open carry rights within the limits of CT. Finally got around to registering, and wanted to ask some questions in hopes to clarify a few things, that is if you folk wouldn't mind taking a moment to answer them.
    Almost all of these questions are asked and answered in this forum already, many of them recently. I would recommend spending some time reading through the volumes of threads here.

    -If a LEO stops me and asks to see my Carry Permit, I've read that unless I've been suspected of commiting a crime I don't have to show them? Is that true?
    The police are not supposed to be stopping you without at least RAS per Terry v Ohio. What you do based on this is up to you and your decisions (as always) need to be based on a sufficient legal education. Your decisions will have consequences and you need to be prepared for this.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...produce-permit

    -Can I choose to oblige to their request and show them my permit, is there any downside to this?
    You can do whatever you want to do.

    -This one is more a personal preference, but If you get pulled over for a traffic violation, do you guys inform the officer once he comes up to your window that you just want to let them know you have a CT state carry permit, and have a loaded firearm on your person? From what I've been told this is up to your judgement, though one guy told me I will get arrested and go to jail if I tell a state trooper that.....Last I checked the idea was to make the officer as comfortable as you can so he might go easier on you and let you off with a warning
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...a-traffic-stop
    http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/f84f0...5-9b33aa28c913

    That 'one guy', never listen to him again.

    -Finally, a lot of times my firearm is exposed because the clothing I wear isn't very baggy, and sometimes my shirt rides up and gets caught behind my holster. As to avoid any issues with LEO's, is there something I should print out and carry with my? Like a section of the state statute?
    No. There is no law or magic piece of paper that makes carrying unconcealed anymore legal that it already is.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...pen-carry-quot

    Do you carry exclusively in Wethersfield? If not, a Wethersfield policy memo is not likely to be important to another town's police officers.
    Last edited by Rich B; 06-28-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    The police are not supposed to be stopping you without at least RAS per Terry v Ohio. What you do based on this is up to you and your decisions (as always) need to be based on a sufficient legal education. Your decisions will have consequences and you need to be prepared for this.
    Makes sense.

    That 'one guy', never listen to him again.
    Yeah I pretty much disregarded everything he said. As soon as he told me I don't have the legal right to take my firearm off my person and put it in my door pocket while I'm driving the vehicle because I'll go to jail I knew he was full of ****.

    Do you carry exclusively in Wethersfield? If not, a Wethersfield policy memo is not likely to be important to another town's police officers.
    I live the next town over, but I do carry into Wethersfield.

    Thanks a lot Rich! I'll definitely read these through the rest of my work day, its slow today haha! Are there ever any local Get togethers? I saw a thread about one, but it didn't seem very successful.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
    -Finally, a lot of times my firearm is exposed because the clothing I wear isn't very baggy, and sometimes my shirt rides up and gets caught behind my holster. As to avoid any issues with LEO's, is there something I should print out and carry with my? Like a section of the state statute?
    Perhaps the State Police letter (which I can't locate on the site when I need it) issued before the open carry rally at the capital might be worth having? Hopefully someone will have the link.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646

    Here ya go

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnedknuckles View Post
    Perhaps the State Police letter (which I can't locate on the site when I need it) issued before the open carry rally at the capital might be worth having? Hopefully someone will have the link.
    This one?

    http://www.ccdl.us/attachments/100_M...%204-10-10.pdf

    It's on the CCDL web page.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoaster View Post
    This one?

    http://www.ccdl.us/attachments/100_M...%204-10-10.pdf

    It's on the CCDL web page.
    Seems like the concern for the safety of an individual carrying is not even important.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnedknuckles View Post
    Perhaps the State Police letter (which I can't locate on the site when I need it) issued before the open carry rally at the capital might be worth having? Hopefully someone will have the link.
    You can always try, but in my experience, municipal police don't feel obligated to use the CSP's interpretation of the laws.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Seems like the concern for the safety of an individual carrying is not even important.
    David, it's been that way for a long time. Any time there's any question of police over-reaction the number one comment coming back is "Officer safety" "officer coming home at night in one piece".

    The only person interested in YOUR well-being in these types of interactions is YOU.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoaster View Post
    David, it's been that way for a long time. Any time there's any question of police over-reaction the number one comment coming back is "Officer safety" "officer coming home at night in one piece".

    The only person interested in YOUR well-being in these types of interactions is YOU.
    Yup ... the police have no duty to protect anyone ... only themselves. "to serve & protect" .. protect who? Only themselves.

    Now I don't disagree with the police's duty or lack thereof in respect to individual persons but they come off saying like they do actually have a duty to protect individuals ... at least be honest with people.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Yup ... the police have no duty to protect anyone ... only themselves. "to serve & protect" .. protect who? Only themselves.

    Now I don't disagree with the police's duty or lack thereof in respect to individual persons but they come off saying like they do actually have a duty to protect individuals ... at least be honest with people.
    I'm not sure how this comment makes me feel.. Protect who? IMO All of us. Both the good and bad ones.

    As an individual and permit holder, I will always protect myself and others from harm. It's only the right thing to do as being a human being.

    Now, if I was an officer (i'm not), I would think due to the number of 'bad' it may very well out way the good. This would tend to have me think that human nature is to be on edge 'waiting' for the bad to happen.

    Defining the good and bad is where the grey will exist and it needs looked at from outside the situation or as we know it 'in court'.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by cbnlnk121 View Post
    I'm not sure how this comment makes me feel.. Protect who? IMO All of us.
    Sorry to disappoint but I think that the police have no duty to protect any individual person and from this, anyone (because each of us individually make up the whole).

    The police are not soldiers. Soldiers go to prison if they do not follow orders. Policemen go home, not to prison, if they do not follow orders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •