• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Google CENSORING guns from shopping!!!

Lephi

Yahoo! doesn't allow ammo or firearms in their shopping search either, just toy gun parts and accessories, Bing.com still has ammo and firearms included and is much cleaner surfing experience IMO anyways. You should give them a try.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've no misconceptions that my personal boycott of Google will do anything except make me feel ever so slightly better about myself... But it does do that...

I used to use Google Shopping several times a week for significant purchases. Yahoo Shopping or Bing will do the same for me now.

I don't YouTube much anyway, so can easily get my fix with MetaCafe.

My biggest impact so far is my web browser. I really liked Chrome. I'm using Mozilla Firefox again, and it's often doing something I liked better on Chrome.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Does anyone use Craigslist, eBay?
Same thing.

Don't confuse Google search with Google Store. Google Store has similar policies to these.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Craigslist and eBay make it pretty clear from the get-go that they are anti-gun.

Google seems to enjoy a reputation of being the ultimate experience, than pulls the rug out from under us. Don't see that as the "same thing," no, but you have a point that many of our common tools are anti-gun. We should shop accordingly.

I don't confuse Google Search with the Shopping. But I do hold Google responsible as an entity, and have acted accordingly.

Redbaron007

Craigslist and eBay make it pretty clear from the get-go that they are anti-gun.

Google seems to enjoy a reputation of being the ultimate experience, than pulls the rug out from under us. Don't see that as the "same thing," no, but you have a point that many of our common tools are anti-gun. We should shop accordingly.

I don't confuse Google Search with the Shopping. But I do hold Google responsible as an entity, and have acted accordingly.

Actually, they didn't make it well known until they were exposed...then they didn't mince words and stated their anti gun policies.

My comments about Google search and Google Store were not directed toward you, but for general comment. I hope you didn't take them as such. I do agree, Google is sneaky! I really never used Google Store; however, I do still use eBay/Craigslist/Amazon; not too many alternatives.

Super Trucker

Well, for my part, I've switched all three of my business E-mail addresses to Yahoo. I've switched from Google Chrome to Firefox for my browser, and now have Yahoo as all my default search engines. It's taking a little bit of getting used to it, and I still miss Chrome, but as far as I am concerned, everything Google can now kiss my ass.

I used to use Google Shopping for significant purchases (most non-firearm anyway) every week. Yahoo Shopping is different, but is so far getting the job done.

Unfortunatly it will not matter to them.
I have always used "other" products becuase google is anti-gun, glad to see you are know aware. Too many others are blind and continue to worship google, even after you point it out to them.
A friend of mine used to own a gun forum and could not have a for sale section on the forum if he was using google ads to help pay for the forum. Almost all gun forums that have no for sale section are for the same reason.

With the size of google, 3 of us not using them will not matter.

Superlite27

Okay, not that I'm subversive, or spiteful......but for what it's worth....

I sometimes find myself searching Google Shopping just to see how thorough they are. They seem to have been rather tedious as some terms such as "Winchester" have "O search results"...Wha? HUH? You mean Google (Google Shopping, to be specific), the most expansive and tedious search tool in existence is too stupid to find ANYTHING with the name "Winchester"? Nope. They have obviously weeded this term out and removed it from results.

Oh, yeah? Well, I have a pointless sense of determination and lots of time on my hands, let's just see!

AH HA! They missed something! (Of course, there's no listed seller, and it IS, unfortunately, only airsoft....but you DO get a result for "Remington 870"!

http://www.google.com/products/cata...t6umwDQ&ved=0CFMQgggwAA#scoring=tp|checkout=1

Found some stuff under "1911 grips" too!: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=sh....,cf.osb&fp=f23b631bca303931&biw=1280&bih=619

Of course, this has spawned another idea for pointless activism that is probably futile (I'm really good at cooking up ideas that serve absolutely no purpose other than a warm, fuzzy feeling.)

How about we flame them with overwhelming requests for firearm related items? I'm talking you and all your friends spend as much time as possible searching for firearm related items to buy on Google Shopping. Don't they keep track of search terms? I wonder what they'll think when they see millions and millions of dollars worth of merchandise sought, and unable to be found? Comments can be left to rub salt into open wounds by leaving remarks such as "Could not find this item on Google. Went to Bing with excellent results!"

Whenever you do find gun related items that slip through the cracks....make sure to rate it +1 on their rating device to up the reccommendation for the gun related results.

I will also be submitting "feedback" in their feedback request link in the Remington 870 airsoft search. I'll be informing them that their online shopping service completely blows and that I'll be encouraging everyone I speak with to patronize Bing Shopping as their service is outstanding. See: http://www.bing.com/shopping/search...t=Completions&tk=&spv=&sl=C&sc=&st=&ast=#x0y0

gobbly

boycotting google is tricky. It's likely that they are the marketplace for the adds you see on a huge number of sites that you never imagined that google was profiting from. You could be using sites hosted on their cloud service and not even know it, or searching a site using their engine. They are not an easy company to get away from online.

Super Trucker

Fortunately for us, there are around 85 MILLION gun owners in the USA. That might be enough for them to notice.

I agree with that idea, but pay attention to the threads you read on almost any forum, and you will see Google, Youtube etc over and over.
The majority of the 85 million gun owners you mention are too lazy to think, and then actually switch their habits so as to prove a point.

Actually just visiting a gun forum with google advertising (we are both guilty of this) will keep google rolling in the dough.

CCinMaine

boycotting google is tricky. It's likely that they are the marketplace for the adds you see on a huge number of sites that you never imagined that google was profiting from. You could be using sites hosted on their cloud service and not even know it, or searching a site using their engine. They are not an easy company to get away from online.

I'm new here, but I do seem to see a good number of YouTube videos posted here with some frequency. We going to boycott YouTube as well? That is Google too...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus(A strictly Google phone that I'm now kinda ashamed of) using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have, but I must admit that was easy for me as I almost never used it.

My phone has ties with Google as well. I know the Android Market just became the Google Play Store. But I did switch its browser to Firefox mobile.