• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question regarding OC and cars w/o CHL

b0neZ

Not knowing what your route will be, or for sure what state your Carry Permit is through, I can only suggest that you may want to check with http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html to find the laws of those states that you will be traveling though, to find out if concealed carry will even be possible. If you presently are holding a Nevada permit, it is not honored in Washington State as Washington and Nevada do not have a reciprocity agreement.

Sorry to be a downer but would rather you not get busted for thinking you would be good to go.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't yet have my concealed permit, I plan on going next month for the NV, UT, and FL permits. That should cover me for most states.
I plan to avoid CA like the plague.
Thank you for the link. I'll check it tonight when I have time to read it all. Doesn't hurt to get an education on other states, ya know?

LkWd_Don

Thanks for the heads up. I don't yet have my concealed permit, I plan on going next month for the NV, UT, and FL permits. That should cover me for most states.
I plan to avoid CA like the plague.
Thank you for the link. I'll check it tonight when I have time to read it all. Doesn't hurt to get an education on other states, ya know?

Not a problem, I would not have thought a Florida non-resident permit would get you anything more than the Utah non-resident, but with a Florida non-resident you would get NM and KS. You should plan to avoid Oregon as well. Neither NV, UT or FL have reciprocity with OR or CA. Unless of course it has changed since USA Carry updated their info last.

hermannr

Not a problem, I would not have thought a Florida non-resident permit would get you anything more than the Utah non-resident, but with a Florida non-resident you would get NM and KS. You should plan to avoid Oregon as well. Neither NV, UT or FL have reciprocity with OR or CA. Unless of course it has changed since USA Carry updated their info last.

OR, WA, ID, NV, WY, MT...all have unlicensed OC. Each has their own little caviats (except ID) but all have state constitutions that provide for personal carry for self defence.

In OR you have to watch out for Portland and Salem, loaded in your car or out of your car unless you have a Concealed license of some sort (to OC in a limited carry city the license does not have to be an OR license, but this will not cover "publically owned buildings" think City hall) OR specifically states in ORS 166.250(3) that a pistol in a holster on your hip is not cocealed, you can keep that one in mind too.

In WA, unless you fit one of the exceptions in .060 (like going to, participating in, or coming from an outdoor recreational activity) you cannot carry loaded in a vehicle without a CPL, (or one of the few licenses WA does recognize). However, you can Open Carry loaded on foot practically everywhere, including city hall and the capitol buildings in Oly. Idaho OC is pretty much unrestricted except for federal restrictions. I don't know NV that well, but it my understanding they are more like ID rhan anywhere else when it comes to unlicensed OC.

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

OR, WA, ID, NV, WY, MT...all have unlicensed OC. Each has their own little caviats (except ID) but all have state constitutions that provide for personal carry for self defence.

In OR you have to watch out for Portland and Salem, loaded in your car or out of your car unless you have a Concealed license of some sort (to OC in a limited carry city the license does not have to be an OR license, but this will not cover "publically owned buildings" think City hall) OR specifically states in ORS 166.250(3) that a pistol in a holster on your hip is not cocealed, you can keep that one in mind too.

In WA, unless you fit one of the exceptions in .060 (like going to, participating in, or coming from an outdoor recreational activity) you cannot carry loaded in a vehicle without a CPL, (or one of the few licenses WA does recognize). However, you can Open Carry loaded on foot practically everywhere, including city hall and the capitol buildings in Oly. Idaho OC is pretty much unrestricted except for federal restrictions. I don't know NV that well, but it my understanding they are more like ID rhan anywhere else when it comes to unlicensed OC.

I fully understand your position. In my post to b0neZ, I was warning about carry while traveling (in the car) as I know that in most states that are not constitutional carry, carry inside of a vehicle is considered concealed and without going into what might have been too much detail, I felt a need to make the statements that I did.

amlevin

RCW 9.41.010 (10) (b)-(d) need to go away.

How reasonable is it that a modern firearm with an empty chamber but rounds in the mag is considered "loaded", while a BP firearm with a ball and charge is not, as long as it's not capped or primed?

Whole different animal. If you had no primers in the cartridges you might qualify as unloaded too. Just not practical but achieves the same goal, a firearm that can't be fired unless something is added. Either a fully capable cartridge, a primer cap, or powder in the pan under the frizzen.

alxndrxvier

Very true. One of his arms could be disabled from injury or holding an assailant back. I practice one handed reloads, slide rack, clear a malfunction, etc for exactly this reason. I also make sure I am proficient with both hands.
It's also not taking into account any potential problems with the draw. (Snag, sloppy grip, missed grip)
Also assuming that the slide will not stick and suffer a failure to load.
It really is just better to spend the few bucks to be able to chamber a round. I wish we could just get Constitutional Carry in this State.

Firstly, thank you to everyone for chiming in on this. I appreciate the assistance and the clarification. Secondly you are completely correct decklin, these are good skills to practice, and I do practice most of these. I still haven't mastered loading and chambering a round one handed, but I'm working on it. Though frankly in a situation like this I am more likely to stay in hand to hand or if necessary reach for my knife, as that I can get out and open one handed even quicker than I can draw my firearm. Unfortunately, living in CA, it is a necessity to practice drawing an unloaded weapon and loading it, as CA was a UOC state pre AB144. Also, even if AB144 is repealed, we are unlikely to go back to being a LOC state.

Also I appreciate the link to the law in question hermannr. I had already read it and thought I understood it, I was just asking for clarification of protocol once actually out on the street from those who are in the area OCing. I find that I can get a better feel for the local opinions and LEO attitudes through talking to someone in the area and getting their input.

I just thought of another question, do the LEO in WA treat people differently depending on their rigs? I have a thigh holster, as I have found it to be the most comfortable and easiest for me to use. Just curious as I have no intention of switching.

Anyway, thank you all. I do appreciate all your input and discussion.

LkWd_Don

Firstly, thank you to everyone for chiming in on this. I appreciate the assistance and the clarification. ~~ snip ~~

I just thought of another question, do the LEO in WA treat people differently depending on their rigs? I have a thigh holster, as I have found it to be the most comfortable and easiest for me to use. Just curious as I have no intention of switching.

Anyway, thank you all. I do appreciate all your input and discussion.

If you are OCing here in WA there should be no problem with what rig you use, provided it is not one where you have to constantly have to grab or adjust it when you are away from your vehicle, unless you hold a CPL that Washington recognizes and do not have to constantly unload when you get to your vehicle. Constantly making a move for or toward a holstered weapon it could become a problem.

Last edited: