• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder holster

renoglock22

I just took my CCW class and was looking for a holster that would be easy to draw from while concealed. I will OC anytime possible but in winter it gets a little tough to OC which is why I am getting the CCW, just in case thing. I was thinking about a shoulder holster because I usually don't zip up my jackets all the way and thought it may be easier to reach into my jacket instead of lifting the bottom (if my gun were on my hip). My only question is how good is that type of holster? I have heard people on here making fun of them and stuff like that. Also if I get one, should the holster be positioned where the gun points down or is it ok to have it horizontal? It seems it would be easier to draw if the gun was horizontal.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Shoulder holsters have their time and place. Most people recommend that you get a vertical holster so that if you are open carrying people behind you aren't staring at the barrel of your gun. I don't really see this as much of an issue as long as you are using a good quality holster with the proper retention that minimizes the chances of an accidental or negligent discharge. It's more of a perception thing than anything else. Another objection is that when you draw you may have to sweep potential innocent bystanders before you can aim at your target. Once again training helps. If you want to wear a shoulder holster during the winter then feel free to do so, just make sure you practice accordingly because the draw is quite different from using a hip holster.

CCinMaine

If you are thinking shoulder holster you should look into kangaroocarry.com. I have friends that swear by them. They aren't priced that bad and you can wear them on bare skin because they are all cotton. They have a bunch of YouTube videos on them too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GONZO!!!

I wanted to buy newshoulder holster for my full size 1911...I lovethe Galco Miami Classic but the cost was $150 or better and since I would opnly wear it late Fall, Winter and possibly early Spring, it didnt make much sense...

I then found the leather one on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Leath...348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2843addc

After a few emails between the seller and myself, bought it. $69. I love it! Took me about 45 minutes of trying it, adjusting, re-adjusting until I got it where I want it. I carry the muzzle higher than the grips so that it hangs upward diagonally. The Miami Classic straps are attached differently than this model and hangs naturally muzzle high, a few adjustments adn this one hangs perfect.

With the muzzle slightly higher than the grips, the muzzle sort of tucks closer to the meat of my armpit. I am not that big a guy and if I had my 1911 hang horizontal, it would print out the back of my suit jacket. With the muzzle slightly higher and the overall height of the holster up higher, I can conceal very well.

Also, form fit for my 1911 AND the snap button on the retention strap is SOLID. I have no fear of my 1911 hitting the ground.

at $69 plus shipping I found it to be a bargain. Just my two cents worth

GONZO!!!

decklin

As said before shoulder holsters do have their time and place. If you are looking for concealment a shoulder holster may not be the best way to go. It's not like in the movies where the hero is wearing his shoulder holster and still looks slim and tapered.
If you wear a shoulder holster it will look like you have two pounds of metal hanging off of you. You'll have to adjust your wardrobe accordingly just as you would with any other form of concealed carry.
That being said I own two shoulder holsters, both made by galco. I've got the Jackass Rig for my H&K USP9c and a vertical holster for my 1911. I wear them in the winter, while hunting, short hikes, sometimes while in a suit. I actually prefer the Jackass Rig.
If you do get a vertical holster be sure to get one where you can secure the holster to your belt with a tie. This holster is next too impossible to draw one handed without it secured. If the holster does not secure to your belt then you'll want to modify it so it does.
It is possible to draw from a shoulder holster without flagging everyone in the room. It's easier with a horizontal carry.
What firearm are you trying to conceal with this?

renoglock22

As said before shoulder holsters do have their time and place. If you are looking for concealment a shoulder holster may not be the best way to go. It's not like in the movies where the hero is wearing his shoulder holster and still looks slim and tapered.
If you wear a shoulder holster it will look like you have two pounds of metal hanging off of you. You'll have to adjust your wardrobe accordingly just as you would with any other form of concealed carry.
That being said I own two shoulder holsters, both made by galco. I've got the Jackass Rig for my H&K USP9c and a vertical holster for my 1911. I wear them in the winter, while hunting, short hikes, sometimes while in a suit. I actually prefer the Jackass Rig.
If you do get a vertical holster be sure to get one where you can secure the holster to your belt with a tie. This holster is next too impossible to draw one handed without it secured. If the holster does not secure to your belt then you'll want to modify it so it does.
It is possible to draw from a shoulder holster without flagging everyone in the room. It's easier with a horizontal carry.
What firearm are you trying to conceal with this?

I currently carry a Glock 22

WOD

I carry a G 21, and when I started looking for a shoulder rig, the Galco's were all sold out ( on several sites too! ). So, I then went back to my links list from the search, and found a guy in Texas, Black Hills Leather. It was pricey, almost $200.00, but I had added a dual mag pouch, and belt clips. I won't be able to wear this rig out in my lifetime, even if I wore it 24/7. I'm a slender fellow, and in some of my jackets it shows, in others not so much. I'm not worried about "printing, since I do have a CPL, and printing isn't an issue in WA anyways. I'm still trying to break it in, getting rid of the "new leather squeaks", that's the only issue I have with it. Just gives me an excuse to buy a new leather jacket!

The holster portion can be made horizontal or vertical, but I chose horizontal draw, since it's closer to the same motion I use for my paddle holster. There are also tension screws, on both mag pouch and holster, and the support straps are adjustable too. The retention strap is 3/8's of an inch thick or better, as well as, the thumb break tongue. Mine hangs muzzle slanted upwards too.

Boba Fett

haha I laughed when I saw Gonzo's post, because I got my holster from the same seller! I got the Armadillo Glock version in black for my Glock 19. It's the one in my avatar, pictured with my airsoft Glock 19 and two mags.

Fist off, I'm a really really skinny guy. 125lbs and 6' 0". So about the only way I can conceal it is with my winter jacket or sometimes my suit (which is actually a 'modern cut', but still doesn't print too much). The price is a steal, and I was able to adjust it to fit me nicely. There was a little break-in period to make the gun go in and out easily. I absolutely love this holster so everything except these three cons are great. Another cool thing is that there are these holes in the corners of the mag pouches which fit the feed lips of my gas blowback airsoft Glock perfectly. :p

Cons
1. Leaves black 'leather dandruff' if you're wearing a white shirt, but you can brush it off.
2. Since it's made to fit any length Glock, there's some extra space in the end of the holster, which makes it stick out more than I'd like. :(
3. The thumb-break has a habit of coming undone. The holster has no problems retaining the gun anyways, but I still wish it would work better. If you have a Glock with a selector switch, the thumb-break won't stay shut at all.

For $70 it's a pretty good deal. Glad to hear that Gonzo likes it as well. :)

In the car, the seat belt actually makes it a tad uncomfortable, but that wouldn't be a problem if you are normal-weight.

GONZO!!!

Boba...

I bought the tan version and it has been a dream (once adjusted). One con is that during the "break-in period" the front serrations on my 1911 had what I thought was some rust within the valley of the seration...I almost freaked out but then realized that they were small "shavings" from the inside of the holster's leather. As my holster finally broke in the inside leather smoothed out and I have not seen it since. The draw is smooth and the fit is great. However, I have not experienced any of the retention strap button issues. In fact, mine is kind of tight and takes a slight concentrated effort to snap it shut. No biggie. Perhaps you got a fluke or mine hasnt loosened yet.

GONZO!!!

DamonK

haha I laughed when I saw Gonzo's post, because I got my holster from the same seller! I got the Armadillo Glock version in black for my Glock 19. It's the one in my avatar, pictured with my airsoft Glock 19 and two mags.

Fist off, I'm a really really skinny guy. 125lbs and 6' 0". So about the only way I can conceal it is with my winter jacket or sometimes my suit (which is actually a 'modern cut', but still doesn't print too much). The price is a steal, and I was able to adjust it to fit me nicely. There was a little break-in period to make the gun go in and out easily. I absolutely love this holster so everything except these three cons are great. Another cool thing is that there are these holes in the corners of the mag pouches which fit the feed lips of my gas blowback airsoft Glock perfectly. :p

Cons
1. Leaves black 'leather dandruff' if you're wearing a white shirt, but you can brush it off.
2. Since it's made to fit any length Glock, there's some extra space in the end of the holster, which makes it stick out more than I'd like. :(
3. The thumb-break has a habit of coming undone. The holster has no problems retaining the gun anyways, but I still wish it would work better. If you have a Glock with a selector switch, the thumb-break won't stay shut at all.

For $70 it's a pretty good deal. Glad to hear that Gonzo likes it as well. :)

In the car, the seat belt actually makes it a tad uncomfortable, but that wouldn't be a problem if you are normal-weight.

I don't understand why you would be carrying an airsoft... Just curious.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Boba Fett

Yeah, I guess I haven't used mine enough to get all that flaking off. I have noticed it's coming off less though. I guess I need to start wearing it more. lol

I use airsoft for many reasons. I play at the local places and sometimes do scenarios where concealment is needed. Sometimes my church security team has me help them with airsoft drills to improve their system. I also use it to get comfortable with carry, since I'm not old enough to legally carry in my state yet. After 3 years of packing at home, you get pretty used to it. It's part of my "insurance policy" to keep away from the stereotypical "dumb kids" who think it's "cool" to carry and what not as soon as their old enough. Better to make the mistakes at home with a toy gun than in public with real steel. Plus my reputation as a "gun person" makes it to where a lot of people are already comfortable to me open carrying and such. Just preparing to become a responsible carrier.

DamonK

Yeah, I guess I haven't used mine enough to get all that flaking off. I have noticed it's coming off less though. I guess I need to start wearing it more. lol

I use airsoft for many reasons. I play at the local places and sometimes do scenarios where concealment is needed. Sometimes my church security team has me help them with airsoft drills to improve their system. I also use it to get comfortable with carry, since I'm not old enough to legally carry in my state yet. After 3 years of packing at home, you get pretty used to it. It's part of my "insurance policy" to keep away from the stereotypical "dumb kids" who think it's "cool" to carry and what not as soon as their old enough. Better to make the mistakes at home with a toy gun than in public with real steel. Plus my reputation as a "gun person" makes it to where a lot of people are already comfortable to me open carrying and such. Just preparing to become a responsible carrier.

Ah, that makes sense then. Make sure that there isn't any ordinances in your area about carrying a "look a like"

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Boba Fett

I only carry airsoft on private property or every once in a while concealed at church (we have an airsoft team ministry, so at a moments notice I might need to explain what airsoft is to someone interested in the team, so it's handy to have one on hand). Everybody at my (small) church knows me and my airsoft guns. Of course I always practice the "no airsoft in public" rule; you have rights with real firearms, you don't with replicas, and I treat them accordingly. I don't carry to stores or restaurants, or in public. It's still all about awareness and responsibility.

Last edited:

J_Oliver

(Begin Josh's aside)

I only carry airsoft on private property or every once in a while concealed at church (we have an airsoft team ministry, so at a moments notice I might need to explain what airsoft is to someone interested in the team, so it's handy to have one on hand). Everybody at my (small) church knows me and my airsoft guns. Of course I always practice the "no airsoft in public" rule; you have rights with real firearms, you don't with replicas, and I treat them accordingly. I don't carry to stores or restaurants, or in public. It's still all about awareness and responsibility.

I'm wondering how old you are... it's good to see the younger crowd stepping up and wanting to learn what it really means to carry a firearm. I've always laughed at the "tacticool" airsoft guys that wear full riot gear and think they're really a SWAT or special forces sniper. I have a respect for you that puts aside my quims about airsoft. You have a very noble, responsible reason for it and I think that even you don't carry a real firearm that you are wise beyond your carrying experiance and can contribute on my posts any day. Carry on...

(Resume normal thread)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk