• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting From Colorado

Keens

Hello Folks,

I will be visiting WI (Eau Claire area) the weekend after the 4th of July. We will be driving up from Colorado and going through Nebraska which is OC friendly except Omaha, and Iowa which i need to do more research on. Seems Iowa is questionable right now. We are not going to be doing anything but fueling up the car and grabbing a bite to eat in those states. We have a family reunion we are heading to in Eau Claire and I wanted to find out from you guys how OC goes in WI and the do's and don'ts. I hold a Colorado CHP and I OC most of the time here with no issues at all. I will keep doing my research so I thought I'd chime in and see what you guys have to say about OC in WI! Thanks for your help!

Blessings,

Keens

Keens

Thanks for the links! I will check them out. I'd like to find out how OC is accepted in WI, specifically the Eau Claire area and how the LEO's react should I get a MWAG contact.

M

McX

be sure to grab a 12 pack of Coors to bring for me there guy. back in the day that was worth more than a keg of sludgewiser.

protias

"Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" If you are being detained, then invoke the 4A and shut up. The police cannot force you to give you your name. If they try to say carrying is disorderly conduct, it is laid out in Act 35 as well as JB van Hollen's memo.

AaronS

be sure to grab a 12 pack of Coors to bring for me there guy. back in the day that was worth more than a keg of sludgewiser.

Wow, I remember the old Coors days. I had a friend whos dad worked in a meat packing plant. He would have the truckers bring a few cases to him. I was a little young, but he gave us a few every month.

Them were the good old days. Cold beers never tasted so good...

Keens

"Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" If you are being detained, then invoke the 4A and shut up. The police cannot force you to give you your name. If they try to say carrying is disorderly conduct, it is laid out in Act 35 as well as JB van Hollen's memo.

Thanks! We do the same "am I being detained?" question here, although I've never had a LEO contact personally In the one year I've been OC'ing *knocks on wood*. OC here is becoming more accepting to LEO's in CO and they are starting to get tired of the sheeple calling in MWAGs. Is OC becoming more accepting by LEO in WI too?

M

McX

yes, the young ones have missed all the good beers; bud- good buzz, but liquid poops, same for pabst. Oldstyle, blatts, and coors went down good, good buzz, and always a nice clean puke if you drank too much. now i am too old to do anything other than remember.

M

McX

Thanks! We do the same "am I being detained?" question here, although I've never had a LEO contact personally In the one year I've been OC'ing *knocks on wood*. OC here is becoming more accepting to LEO's in CO and they are starting to get tired of the sheeple calling in MWAGs. Is OC becoming more accepting by LEO in WI too?

The most important rule: Dont talk to the cops!

Keens

Im sure they sell Coors over in your neck of the woods. Though I don't drink anymore, I've never been a Coors fan. I used to drink Busch or PBR. Most people here prefer Budweiser over Coors.

M

McX

Im sure they sell Coors over in your neck of the woods. Though I don't drink anymore, I've never been a Coors fan. I used to drink Busch or PBR. Most people here prefer Budweiser over Coors.

yes, but it's not THE COORS, from back in the day.
let's see, i dont know if we have reciprocity with your state's CC license, i think the Wis. Dept. of Justice site has a list on it. if you dont have a license, stay out of the school zones- 1000 ft. perimeter around school property, if it's posted you cant enter, if your asked to leave you must, car carry is a bit tricky, and under some debate. License holder can carry in vehicle, some say others can, but for me i would be extra safe, and unload encase, out of reach last i heard was a lower court opinion, but dont take me as gospel on this stuff. no carry to police stations- the cops hate direct competition. parks are up and down, depending upon if they are posted, or who owns them. Doug, where the hell are you? need you to start posting the details there guy. WIS is not a stop and identify state, but cops can ask to see your license to carry. we have stand your ground- limited to home, work if you own it, and your car. License holders can carry all kinds of crap; stun guns, batons, black jacks, knives- no switch blades- that one broke my heart. open carry is protected under the carry license, and generally by state constitution, best to get a contact card from our 'parent' organiztion Wisconsin Carry, so if problems arise you know who to call. around here i have no problems, but i am too broke to go anywhere else realy. get some moon eyes some times, comments from the peanut gallery, but not as bad as the old days. anyone got anything else? did i miss or misquote anything? carry on, carry often, carry out. welcome to our state.

and now a musical interlude to read by:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=372436tJiaM

Last edited:

lance galloway

I live in Eau Claire and have been OCing since 09 and I know of several other guys who do to.

As far as the local police they know it's legal and should not bother you about a month ago I was at Kwik Trip getting gas on the way out of the store I walked right past a parked squad car in the parking lot the officer just smiled and nodded at me. You should be fine.

Just be sure to lock your car I'v had a PA stolen out of my car in broad daylight and last year I had my license plates stolen off of my truck.

Law abider

Protias, wouldn't it be good for him and us to carry those pieces of paper on their official logos in case leos become testy?:question:

Last edited:

protias

Protias, wouldn't it be good for him and us to carry those pieces of paper on their official logos in case leos become testy?:question:

They know the law. If they want to go outside their given authority, then they will have to answer for those actions.

protias

Our Wisconsin forum has a thread with information on the Concealed Carry License/Permits that Wisconsin honors for people who are NOT residents of Wisconsn. Colorado is on that list.

Here is the link:

http://forum.opencarry.org./forums/...2011-Act-35-New-DOJ-FAQ&p=1775025#post1775025

CO is "permitted" to carry in WI.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia (Non-Resident Only)
Washington
West Virginia (issued after 6-8-12)*
Wyoming
Puerto Rico
U.S. Virgin Islands

Keens

Thanks guys! Is there anything else I need to know about OC in WI?

Looks like we are driving to Omaha (questionable permitted OC???), then up north to St. Paul MN then east to Eau Claire. Minnesota does not honor my CO permit, and looks like they have laws about transport in a vehicle. Says on handgunlaw.us that it has to be unloaded and cased in the trunk. We have a minivan and a kid with us, so I'm pondering that *scratching my head* Looks like I gotta unload and lock it up somehow while I'm there til I cross back into friendlier territory. Thought of the glovebox but that could be considered CC. I will see if my fiancée wants to change our route a bit and go through Iowa instead.

Blessings,

Keens