• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting From Colorado

RR_Broccoli

Whatever you do, stay out of Illinois. If you take a wrong turn, hop out, cross the median with the firearm while the wife turns around.

Keens

You could come over on I80 and then enter WI at Dubuque. From there are several picturesque routes North to Eau Claire.

Thanks! I may just have to do that! I'm willing to take a different route to avoid the MN hassle of not honoring my permit and their silly car transport laws. I will have to convince my fiancée to take the route you suggested. I saw on the OCDO travel map guide that you can't OC in a car in WI?!?! What's the deal with that? So I have to CC in the car? Ain't like that in CO, where we can drive with it on our lap, loaded, unloaded, CC, OC, on the dash, it doesn't matter, permit or not. Only one rule here in CO, long guns or shotguns can be loaded, but not chambered. Old hunting law.

Keens

Whatever you do, stay out of Illinois. If you take a wrong turn, hop out, cross the median with the firearm while the wife turns around.

Haha, we are going to do our best to stay the hell away from IL! I think she's going to be a bit peeved that I'm going to have to set the route to WI around my sidearm and the carry issue. I've got some map studying to do after work tonight. Gonna be interesting what she's going to say when I tell her the route is!

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

.. I saw on the OCDO travel map guide that you can't OC in a car in WI?!?! What's the deal with that? So I have to CC in the car? Ain't like that in CO, where we can drive with it on our lap, loaded, unloaded, CC, OC, on the dash, it doesn't matter, permit or not. Only one rule here in CO, long guns or shotguns can be loaded, but not chambered. Old hunting law.
You can carry in whatever manner you desire. There are no restrictions on Open Carry in WI whether or not you are in a vehicle. The only restrictions are on Concealed Carry which is prohibited unless you are a licensee or out of state licensee. Long guns may not be loaded at any time in a vehicle or on a vehicle in motion. Long guns may not be concealed.

AaronS

Thanks! I may just have to do that! I'm willing to take a different route to avoid the MN hassle of not honoring my permit and their silly car transport laws. I will have to convince my fiancée to take the route you suggested. I saw on the OCDO travel map guide that you can't OC in a car in WI?!?! What's the deal with that? So I have to CC in the car? Ain't like that in CO, where we can drive with it on our lap, loaded, unloaded, CC, OC, on the dash, it doesn't matter, permit or not. Only one rule here in CO, long guns or shotguns can be loaded, but not chambered. Old hunting law.

No no, you have a permit. You can open or conceal carry in and out of your car in Wisconsin. Your permit clears it all up.

Keens

Thanks guys for clearing that up! Yes I do hold a Colorado CHP and is honored by WI. Sounds like WI is very OC friendly like CO. I will find out from my fiancée what the plans for the weekend are. We should arrive around 5-6 PM Fri evening, going to set up camp (Chippewa Falls i think?) then not sure after that. Sat is the family reunion that starts at noon and goes til whenever. Then we are off to a different campground in the Eau Claire general area for Sat night and leave sometime on Sunday. So there may be time to have a Meet and Greet if you guys are up for it! Just let me ask her first and I will see what the final plans are cuz I don't want to mess up the schedule. I'm thinking Sunday morning M&G breakfast?

Blessings,

Keens

Keens

Man, I hope you have AC in that tent of yours. I got 102 showing right now...

Yea this heat is killin' me. Its been in the triple digits here for the past week and a half. I think our campsite is near some water, so I could always go for a swim. Looks like we are leaving on Thursday right after work instead of Friday. We will be driving all through the night to avoid the heat and traffic. Looks like we will have most of Friday open so if anyone wants to have a OC meet at a resturant, let me know!

Blessings,

Keens

Keens

We are staying at Eau Galle Lake. I see that it is Army Corps of Engineers property. Is OC or CC allowed? I noticed on their website it said "no firearms allowed." I don't know if that means I can't CC. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings,

Keens

M

McX

keep my Coors cold! tell anyone who asks you carry to protect my beer!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
We are staying at Eau Galle Lake. I see that it is Army Corps of Engineers property. Is OC or CC allowed? I noticed on their website it said "no firearms allowed." I don't know if that means I can't CC. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings,

Keens
Well,unfortunately, H.R. 1865: The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act of 2011 has died in committee. Meaning we can't carry on COE controlled land. Sorry, Keens. :(

Keens

Well,unfortunately, H.R. 1865: The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act of 2011 has died in committee. Meaning we can't carry on COE controlled land. Sorry, Keens. :(

Thanks for replying. Yea I just found out a little while ago where she reserved a camping spot at and I'm pretty bummed. I looked at handgunlaw.us and found the rules. *sigh* looks like can't even have it in the car. I'm going to see if I can find somewhere else to camp that doesn't infringe upon our rights. Gonna have to convince the fiancée and she ain't going to be too happy that I want to change her plans she worked hard on. That or I gotta leave the sidearm at home. I'd prefer to have on me to protect my family and myself while driving through the night. Gas stations are a creepy place in the middle of the night. Well I'm going to go see if I can find a campground that's available for 2 nights.

Blessings,

Keens