• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kudos to the Lancaster County Sheriff's Department

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Here's the story: Last week I was at my parent's new house in Quarryville. They had just moved in about a week earlier. They live kinda in the middle of nowhere so I was kinda surprised when we heard a knock on the door. My mom went to go answer the door. I waited a moment and then thought what if it's somebody suspicious trying to get a feel for the place because they knew there were new residents. I decided I would show them my open carry. I walked to the front door and stepped out on the stoop. My mom was talking to a LC deputy. To his credit, he looked at me, looked at my gun and did not say a word about it or bat an eye. I was impressed how he kept his composure. To make a long story short, the deputy was looking for the former residents who were delinquent on some taxes and he handled himself like a professional when I entered the situation open carrying. I hope this is an indication of what to expect in Lancaster County.

Last edited:

derhammer

Sounds good, but remember, it's a lot harder for him to give you trouble for wearing a gun in your own house, with him being the one who initiated contact. You may or may not have more irritating experiences on the street. I personally can't wait to start OCing - it will be really cool if I don't get any trouble, but in any case, counting the number of times the cops get called should be a great way to judge the common-sense level of the town! :D

-derhammer

NelsonE

Here's the story: Last week I was at my parent's new house in Quarryville. They had just moved in about a week earlier. They live kinda in the middle of nowhere so I was kinda surprised when we heard a knock on the door. My mom went to go answer the door. I waited a moment and then thought what if it's somebody suspicious trying to get a feel for the place because they knew there were new residents. I decided I would show them my open carry. I walked to the front door and stepped out on the stoop. My mom was talking to a LC deputy. To his credit, he looked at me, looked at my gun and did not say a word about it or bat an eye. I was impressed how he kept his composure. To make a long story short, the deputy was looking for the former residents who were delinquent on some taxes and he handled himself like a professional when I entered the situation open carrying. I hope this is an indication of what to expect in Lancaster County.

Hello to all,Nelson here and I am new to your forum,thank you for having me.It's good to know that there are LEOs that know the law and the Constitution,I hope I am fortunate enough not to be harassed by LE when/if I decide to open carry because I have heard a lot of horror stories where LE have stopped law abiding citizens,have confiscated their firearms and have even threatened law abiding citizens openly carrying their firearms.If I do decide to openly carry I will also have upon my person a recorder just in case things get out of hand.I know that recording LE is not and I repeat is not illegal here in PA as many people may think or may have heard because there is no presumption of privacy while out in public.

david.ross

I know that recording LE is not and I repeat is not illegal here in PA as many people may think or may have heard because there is no presumption of privacy while out in public.

What you stated isn't the reason why officers can be recorded. Officers can be recorded while discharging in their official duties, which means they can also be recorded on private property.

Here's a memo I like to pass around:
http://unionlawyers.net/_literature_101960/Wiretap_Memo

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, I always freak out when I see a gun .... "GUN !!!!!!!! Hit the deck!" :lol:

I spent most of my military service laying on the ground....so many guns

Last edited: