• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet Another Cop Encounter, the Best One Ever!!!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
For the past 10 or 15 days, I seem to be attracting cops like June bugs.
Today was the best encounter yet.

Cops, private investigators and folks like myself (bounty hunters) use certain data bases that are not available to the average citizen.
Through such data bases; we can run license plate numbers, get information about an individual's criminal record, any civil court records, addresses they've lived at, current address, phone numbers (including cellular and unlisted), and a whole bunch of other information necessary to an investigation when trying to track down a fugitive or defendant trying to avoid due process. The reason I mention this is because I needed to subscribe to one of those data bases that I don't yet access. They sent me an application, require that I provide certifications and business licenses, along with other documentation to prove that I have authority to access this data for appropriate investigatory purposes.

So, because I needed some documentation from the City of Aurora, I headed over there to get documentation on my business license.

Now the municipal complex at Aurora has several buildings and I wasn't sure which one I'd need to visit. After putting my 1911 in the glove box and locking up the Jeep, I headed toward the nearest building just as a cop came from it. "Hey officer. I'm wondering if you can tell me which of these buildings I need to visit for business licenses?"
"You're headed in the right direction" he said. "Just inside to the left on the first floor!"
"Thanks! I sure appreciate your help!"
He looked down at the empty serpa on my belt and asked "You concealed carry?"
"Well, not at the moment. I left my sidearm in the car." I replied. "While I do have a CCW, I prefer open carry!"
"That's what I prefer as well." he responded. "I'd personally like to see more citizens open carry. It sends a message to the bad guys."
"Wow," I said in astonishment. "I feel the same way. Besides, when something comes up, that second or two trying to get at a sidearm through covering clothing can cost a life! And yeah, I always figure the bad guy will see my sidearm and decide NOT to do anything for fear that I'd shoot his butt. Bad guys aren't all that courageous and prefer to set upon folks unlikely to put up a fight!"
"Exactly!" he replied. "And maybe take their criminal activity somewhere else. Have you been hassled?"
"No." I replied honestly. "Aurora cops are pretty well aware that open carry is legal and I haven't really been bothered."
"Good." he said. "Sometimes they'll check folks out who they don't know to OC. Folks who we know are prone to OC we get to know and leave them alone."
"Well, think about it. How many bad guys feel confident enough to OC to start with? Like I said, bad guys ain't particularly courageous. Me, I'm one of those law abiding sort of citizens!"
He chuckled and said again "We need more law abiding citizens to take up self defense and carry as you do!"

The officer laughed and I thanked him again for pointing out where the business license office was and we parted company.

Looking back, I'd have liked to chat with him more but when you're about to tangle with government folks, even at the municipal level, a guy tends to get distracted by the encounter with the bureaucratic system more than a chance meeting with an LEO.

But I am proud that this particular officer seemed very approving of OC in Aurora, and I'm sure we'll meet up again sometime.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

LoneEchoWolf

Nice enounter with what sounds like a chill educated LEO. What is it with you attracting LEO, i feel somewhat at part it seems to have picked up after our outing if thats the case i appoligize lol.

Semper-Fi
~Wolf~

PFC HALE

wish all LEO's were like this. after reading more and more on this forum im gonna start carrying open. already got the holster for the h&k just need to use it

M-Taliesin

wish all LEO's were like this. after reading more and more on this forum im gonna start carrying open. already got the holster for the h&k just need to use it

Howdy Pard!
We ought to meet up one day soon. I work up in Brighton (part time) and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to slide up to Lochbuie.

Just that Lochbuie ain't got much to do.

On another note, I've carried plenty around Brighton, and nobody there has bothered me at all.
Cops in Brighton evidently know that OC is OK!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Great story, M! It is positive encounters like this that help put folks who want to confidently OC at ease about LEO encounters! And it seems that LEO's are becoming more educated and aware that OC is perfectly legal. I'm excited to go out and OC some more this weekend after only going to work and home pretty much all week. We've got lots of places to visit!

Blessings,

Keens

PFC HALE

Howdy Pard!
We ought to meet up one day soon. I work up in Brighton (part time) and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to slide up to Lochbuie.

Just that Lochbuie ain't got much to do.

On another note, I've carried plenty around Brighton, and nobody there has bothered me at all.
Cops in Brighton evidently know that OC is OK!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

thank god for living in the sticks!

Beau

So would you have been able to OC to where you were going? Would you OC there?

With the exception of Kohl's where I got asked to leave by the head of loss prevention who was retired Denver PD I have never had a bad encounter in Aurora. This last incident with the Aurora PD removing people from their vehicles and cuffing them has me a little worried though.

I have OC'd around Brighton without issue. This includes most of the new stores around Prairie center.

M-Taliesin

Great story, M! It is positive encounters like this that help put folks who want to confidently OC at ease about LEO encounters! And it seems that LEO's are becoming more educated and aware that OC is perfectly legal. I'm excited to go out and OC some more this weekend after only going to work and home pretty much all week. We've got lots of places to visit!
Blessings,
Keens

Howdy Keens!
You may remember tagging along with me on that one serve I attempted, only to find the defendant had moved out and rented out the house to somebody else? We had us a nice LEO encounter that day too.

On another front, I have a serve I'm having trouble nailing down. She is in hiding, but I'll get her sooner or later. Just a matter of time.
Well, while checking her place out, I drove around and found a house that is abandoned nearby, and the lawn is in terrible shape.
So I called my defendant and told him I needed lawn work done, and he agreed to meet me at the address I gave him.
He showed up in his truck, towing a trailer with all manner of lawn care stuff. I waited for him to exit his vehicle then stepped out of mine and shook his hand.
"Hello Mr. xxxxx!
I am an authorized process server with a summons for you to appear in county court at the date and time indicated on this summons. You need to be in court as indicated. You have been served!"

I've been asked if he appeared surprised. I think it was more than surprise. He was actually speechless!

Like I said when we went out to his place and found he wasn't there.... "I will get him!" Well, looks like I did that one!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Howdy Keens!
You may remember tagging along with me on that one serve I attempted, only to find the defendant had moved out and rented out the house to somebody else? We had us a nice LEO encounter that day too.

On another front, I have a serve I'm having trouble nailing down. She is in hiding, but I'll get her sooner or later. Just a matter of time.
Well, while checking her place out, I drove around and found a house that is abandoned nearby, and the lawn is in terrible shape.
So I called my defendant and told him I needed lawn work done, and he agreed to meet me at the address I gave him.
He showed up in his truck, towing a trailer with all manner of lawn care stuff. I waited for him to exit his vehicle then stepped out of mine and shook his hand.
"Hello Mr. xxxxx!
I am an authorized process server with a summons for you to appear in county court at the date and time indicated on this summons. You need to be in court as indicated. You have been served!"

I've been asked if he appeared surprised. I think it was more than surprise. He was actually speechless!

Like I said when we went out to his place and found he wasn't there.... "I will get him!" Well, looks like I did that one!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Hello,

Outstanding job! I'm happy to hear your little trick you told me about worked! I knew he'd come out and meet you himself for a "big, expensive job"! Now I hope this teaches him a lesson not to scam people and that the judge will smack some sense into him. Now for the lady in hiding, let me know if you want me to tag along, I'd would love to see someone's face when they finally get caught! Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Blessings,

Keens

M-Taliesin

Howdy Mahk!
Sometimes it is good to be the jerk!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

But it's always good to be the king.

Howdy Again Mahk!
Sometimes both are true at once.

The thing is, I ain't much of a fan of dishonesty. But when somebody has used dishonesty to rip off another, then I can see using it to even the playing field.
I don't go out of my way to be a jerk. But then again, I won't cut much slack when somebody tries to jerk me around either.

At the end of the day, I got the job done. At least my part of it.
Now it is up to the client to prove her case before a judge.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin