Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Heading to Indiana in the next couple months

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    55

    Heading to Indiana in the next couple months

    Quick run down:

    I will have my Ohio CCW by the time I go to Indiana.

    Car carry: No duty to inform, no specific requirements as to the concealment (I can open carry in the car?), no specific requirements as to how it can or cannot be loaded.
    Hotel carry: As I understand this is not regulated and is up to the hotel to handle.
    Restaurant carry: I assume this is a lot like Ohio, no alcohol (obviously). Pretty much for the restaurant to handle.

    Please inform me of any changes I need to consider while I go over the Indiana Code.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    warren
    Posts
    5
    You can carry in bars or anywhere alcohol is served in Indiana you can oc if your permit is not a ccw

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    260
    you can open carry on your Ohio concealed carry permit.

    Indiana law does not differentiate between concealed and open carry.

    "No guns" signs don't mean anything, but if they ask you to leave, you have to leave.

    You might run into county police that don't know that open carry with a license is legal. Not as many lately, but still there are probably some out there.

    Transport however you want in your car if you have your license. There's no law concerning hotels or restaurants and bars.

    This is your friend: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

  4. #4
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire825 View Post
    you can oc if your permit is not a ccw
    Incorrect. MI only issues concealed carry licenses and I can (and do) legally open carry in IN just like you.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    55
    Thanks for the responses all.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    55
    Now I'm a bit worried. i know on handgunlaw.us it says Indiana honors all other states' permits, however, on another forum I read that if you don't have the Indiana license and you open carry, you're gonna be in a world of BS.

    Can anyone confirm or deny this?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Avenelle View Post
    Now I'm a bit worried. i know on handgunlaw.us it says Indiana honors all other states' permits, however, on another forum I read that if you don't have the Indiana license and you open carry, you're gonna be in a world of BS.

    Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Indiana law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry. Indiana simply requires that you be licensed (by a state or a country) to carry a handgun. Ergo, if you open carry with any carry license, Indiana will have nothing to charge you with.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    Indiana law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry. Indiana simply requires that you be licensed (by a state or a country) to carry a handgun. Ergo, if you open carry with any carry license, Indiana will have nothing to charge you with.
    Alright, thanks.

  9. #9
    Regular Member bohica_a_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    13
    Welcome to Indiana

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    55
    Had no problems in the fine state of Indiana. however you guys need to stop taxing food, I'm not used to it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member whitewolf68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    29
    Glad to hear your trip was a success. I am heading back to my home town of Fort Wayne for a day visit as well and will be OC.


    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Avenelle View Post
    Had no problems in the fine state of Indiana. however you guys need to stop taxing food, I'm not used to it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN.
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    you can open carry on your Ohio concealed carry permit.

    Indiana law does not differentiate between concealed and open carry.

    "No guns" signs don't mean anything, but if they ask you to leave, you have to leave.

    You might run into county police that don't know that open carry with a license is legal. Not as many lately, but still there are probably some out there.

    Transport however you want in your car if you have your license. There's no law concerning hotels or restaurants and bars.

    This is your friend: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/
    "No guns" signs don't mean anything? With all due respect I must say that is a myth. I was told this by a friend who is a criminal lawyer and also an old friend who spent 20 years as a local leo. Even though Indiana is basically a gun friendly state, any business has the right to prohibit firearms inside. Think about it, it is their place of business.

    And even though it is your 2nd amendment right, you can be legally kept out of any place with a "No guns" sign. Just like if I went to one of your homes, you could say come on in, but leave the pistol in your car. I say "it is my 2nd amendment right" and you say, "I don't care, it is my home - I pay the house payment and bills on it and if your comin in, the gun stays outside. If you don't like my rules you don't have to come inside". See the point?

    In a neighboring town, the police chief persuaded many of the down town businesses to post no gun signs. I disagree with his tactics as he his obviously an anti-gunner and is pushing his agenda.

    I don't see why they anti's don't wake up and smell the coffee. If someone armed with the intent to either rob a place or hurt someone - that sign will not stop them. If they are going to post anti-gun signs they might as well also post one saying "Attention Thieves, robbers and muggers. For your safety, security and convenience, we have barred all licensed gun carriers from entering this building".

    Another thing I don't get, is every time someone goes on a rampage and shoots up a school, theatre or whatever, the government wants to make things harder for those who didn't do it.

    Sorry, i am getting off topic and ranting.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockcarrier View Post
    "No guns" signs don't mean anything? With all due respect I must say that is a myth. I was told this by a friend who is a criminal lawyer and also an old friend who spent 20 years as a local leo. Even though Indiana is basically a gun friendly state, any business has the right to prohibit firearms inside. Think about it, it is their place of business.

    And even though it is your 2nd amendment right, you can be legally kept out of any place with a "No guns" sign. Just like if I went to one of your homes, you could say come on in, but leave the pistol in your car. I say "it is my 2nd amendment right" and you say, "I don't care, it is my home - I pay the house payment and bills on it and if your comin in, the gun stays outside. If you don't like my rules you don't have to come inside". See the point?

    In a neighboring town, the police chief persuaded many of the down town businesses to post no gun signs. I disagree with his tactics as he his obviously an anti-gunner and is pushing his agenda.

    I don't see why they anti's don't wake up and smell the coffee. If someone armed with the intent to either rob a place or hurt someone - that sign will not stop them. If they are going to post anti-gun signs they might as well also post one saying "Attention Thieves, robbers and muggers. For your safety, security and convenience, we have barred all licensed gun carriers from entering this building".

    Another thing I don't get, is every time someone goes on a rampage and shoots up a school, theatre or whatever, the government wants to make things harder for those who didn't do it.

    Sorry, i am getting off topic and ranting.
    Hey no problem with the rant. Seeing "no guns" signs ticks me off too.

    Let me clarify my earlier post that "'no guns' signs don't mean anything." I was talking about their legal force. They have none.

    They do have a meaning, and the meaning is that it is the opinion of the property owners that they would prefer that you not bring a gun inside. However, a sign alone does not have the force of law like it does, say, in Texas, with their 30.06 law.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Avenelle View Post
    Had no problems in the fine state of Indiana. however you guys need to stop taxing food, I'm not used to it.
    Welcome to Indiana! Home of the International Cornhole Association...(Yes it's true...)

    1: Gun laws are pretty self-explanatory. Worst areas are up near Chicago, and down around Bloomington....

    2: More laws on fishing in this state than gun ownership. I'm still trying to figure out some of the fishing laws...

    3: State is more restrictive on people with metal detectors and where they can "Treasure hunt", than gun ownership.

    4: They don't "tax food" here...what you are getting is a "luxury tax added onto your meal" to help pay for the new football stadium (Lucas Oil Stadium), or to help finish paying for the old one (The RCA dome), that wasn't even fully paid for BEFORE they brought it down....

    Welcome to Indiana...
    Murphy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Go back to sleep....Your Government will take care of you...."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •