• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is open carry in chesterfield legal.

osmanobma

is open carry in chesterfield legal.

here's their code:
(a) No person who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement by the Missouri Director of Revenue under Section 571.094 RSMo or who has been issued a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, shall, by authority of that endorsement or permit, be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building or portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by the City of Chesterfield.

(b) No person shall carry a concealed firearm into any police facility or police station without the consent of the chief law enforcement officer in charge of that office, which shall be identified as the Chief of Police of the City of Chesterfield or his designee. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the police station shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. No person shall carry concealed firearms at any meeting of the city council. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of city owned property shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises.

(c) This section shall not apply to buildings used for public housing by private persons, highways or rest areas, fire ranges or private dwellings owned, leased or controlled by the city.

(d) No city employee, except police officers, and such other persons as may be authorized in writing by the city administrator, shall carry any weapon on city property, or in any city vehicle. If the city administrator makes such decision, the mayor, or acting mayor, will be notified within twenty-four (24) hours of reaching said discussion.

(e) Signs shall be posted at each entrance of any building entirely owned, leased, or controlled by the city stating that carrying of firearms is prohibited. Where the city owns, leases or controls only a portion of a building, signs shall be posted at each entrance to that portion of the building stating that carrying of a firearm is prohibited.

(f) No person who has been issued a certificate of qualification, which allows that person to carry a concealed firearm before the director of revenue begins issuing concealed carry endorsements in July of 2004, shall be authorized by that certificate, or be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building or portion of a building owned, leased, or controlled by the City of Chesterfield.

(g) Carrying of a concealed weapon in a location prohibited by this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement shall not be a criminal act, but may be denied entrance to the building or ordered removal from the building. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a police officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100.00) for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six (6) month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars ($200.00). If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00). Upon sustaining the charge arising from a citation issued pursuant to this subsection, the court shall notify the sheriff and/or St. Louis County or the sheriff that issued the certificate of qualification for a concealed weapon endorsement and the Department of Revenue of the State of Missouri.

repomasterstl

I think we talked about this once. I believe because it corporates are of county you have to have get permission from each private property owner. I could be wrong but you can search the forum

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I think we talked about this once. I believe because it corporates are of county you have to have get permission from each private property owner. I could be wrong but you can search the forum

Overall, the general advice is, without permissions consider Chesterfield off limits. A lot of debate exist and it is an old hunting law type of ordinance, but enough questions remain it is not wise to push it. I would say this is especially true after Chesterfield passed the illegal and unconstitutional "discharge of weapons" law. There is almost no way that I would venture into there and not expect it to cost me a lot of legal fees.

In short, they suck and have VERY poor leadership running the city.

osmanobma

i wanted to bump this thread, as i would like more opinions on the matter. i can not find anything in the law that would disallow open carry, but it seems people think it is illegal.

mspgunner

i wanted to bump this thread, as i would like more opinions on the matter. i can not find anything in the law that would disallow open carry, but it seems people think it is illegal.

I went to he City Hall, I did not read the local laws but as explained to me OC is "legal" on public property but not on private property. Again, hunting regulations and permission by land owners.
I strongly recommend you do not OC in Chesterfield. I strongly recommended OC not happen in Washignton MO before the "incident" but my advice was ingnored and we al lknow the reult. even though now you can probably OC in Washington, MO. without a problem, and I have (My associate I was with has certain amount of discression/influence in the City of Washington, MO so I was not the least bit concerned with the LEOs.

*************We do not want to have the same PR "issue" we had in a very public way in Washington to happen in Chesterfield. That would not be good for the cause. So as I understand it is legal on "public property" you no doubt would be detained or arrested on the City streets and it is difficult to be on "public" property only and never set a foot on private property with written permisson.