Thread: The Definitive Guide to Virginia’s Air Gun Laws

The Definitive Guide to Virginia’s Air Gun Laws

The Definitive Guide to Virginia’s Air Gun Laws
    -----------------------------------------------------
    What kinds of firearms are encompassed by the term “air guns?” In fact, the name is a bit misleading since the term covers not only those firearms that are powered by compressed air or CO2 but also those that are spring driven. This includes what are commonly referred to as BB guns, air rifles, paintball guns, and Airsoft guns.

The term also includes both handguns and rifles and encompasses firearms that shoot traditional BBs, lead pellets, Airsoft pellets, and paintballs.

Now that we know what we are talking about, let’s turn to the legal requirements ...

Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=1162

Banned
    W-A-S-T-E of time IMO. You just post a link? What's the point of your post OP?
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 06-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Down here in Virginia, I do find it relevant and well researched. Nicely done, John.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    Down here in Virginia, I do find it relevant and well researched. Nicely done, John.
    +1

Well David, a couple of things:

1. A lot of city people use air guns to practice and this allows them to do so legally.

2. A lot of localities haven't gotten the word they have to obey the law.

3. Hopefully we'll be able to tack archery on to this law which is important to burbanites before bow season.

THE BIG ONE

5.He's the Administrator and owner of this site and can post any damn thing he wants!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Reallly, why is that????

My county has yet to amended their Air Gun ordinance.. it is set to be heard at the 7/24 BOS meeting.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Really? You query one of the site owners who lives in Virginia why he posted in the Virginia sub-forum about laws pertaining to Virginians?

Many people train/practice with paint ball or BB guns + many a youngster will be introduced to shooting with BB guns, it's still considered a right of passage by some.

Is it relevant? - yes. Is it well done and interesting? - Yes. Next question.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

These sort of posts always give me a chuckle. Sort of like when a crazy speed demon overtakes and flips off a cop driving an undercover car at the speed limit.

TFred

Thanks for the great information John! I won't even respond to the idiot above.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Thanks for the great information John! I won't even respond to the idiot above.

Thank you! A very informative post on Virginia Law. (no doubt irrelevant to our friend in CONNECTICUT! )

From the article:
    Localities may, under both federal and state law, impose restrictions on the sale of air guns to minors but may not impose such restrictions on adults.
    I guess some states are ignoring federal law then; perhaps someone would like to file some actions. New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts and Michigan are four states that specifically regulate air rifles and/or BB guns. In addition, the cities of New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC also limit air gun usage. Several of these states have defined air rifles as "firearms" and require a permit to purchase or possess. cite: http://www.airrifle.com/about_airguns.htm
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 06-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    From the article:

Localities may, under both federal and state law, impose restrictions on the sale of air guns to minors but may not impose such restrictions on adults.
    I guess some states are ignoring federal law then; perhaps someone would like to file some actions. New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts and Michigan are four states that specifically regulate air rifles and/or BB guns. In addition, the cities of New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC also limit air gun usage. Several of these states have defined air rifles as "firearms" and require a permit to purchase or possess. cite: http://www.airrifle.com/about_airguns.htm
    The article is about Virginia law. Not about any other state's laws.

When John says "Localities may....", he is referring specifically and only to localities within the state of Virginia. Virginia law prohibits them from imposing laws in conflict with state law.

It is sad but no surprise that many other states have far more restrictive laws on air guns than Virginia does.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 06-30-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Fred, I realize the article is about Virginia laws. However, the article (at least to my reading or understanding) says that Federal law would prohibit states (all of 'em) from having such restrictions. Which was the point of my post.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Fred, I realize the article is about Virginia laws. However, the article (at least to my reading or understanding) says that Federal law would prohibit states (all of 'em) from having such restrictions. Which was the point of my post.
    It's actually a pretty good article Zoom.
    Federal law doesn't prevent states from regulating them, they just aren't regulated by the Federal Government.

As to being a destructive device, The ATF has to view in the light of being used in the past as a sporting weapon. John missed the fact that Lewis and Clark used either a 54 or 58 air gun on their expedition.Large caliber air guns go well back before flintlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    John missed the fact that Lewis and Clark used either a 54 or 58 air gun on their expedition.Large caliber air guns go well back before flintlocks.
    And it was a repeater... http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington