• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Definitive Guide to Virginia’s Air Gun Laws

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
The Definitive Guide to Virginia’s Air Gun Laws
-----------------------------------------------------
What kinds of firearms are encompassed by the term “air guns?” In fact, the name is a bit misleading since the term covers not only those firearms that are powered by compressed air or CO2 but also those that are spring driven. This includes what are commonly referred to as BB guns, air rifles, paintball guns, and Airsoft guns.

The term also includes both handguns and rifles and encompasses firearms that shoot traditional BBs, lead pellets, Airsoft pellets, and paintballs.

Now that we know what we are talking about, let’s turn to the legal requirements ...

Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=1162

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Down here in Virginia, I do find it relevant and well researched. Nicely done, John.

+1

Well David, a couple of things:

1. A lot of city people use air guns to practice and this allows them to do so legally.

2. A lot of localities haven't gotten the word they have to obey the law.

3. Hopefully we'll be able to tack archery on to this law which is important to burbanites before bow season.

THE BIG ONE

5.He's the Administrator and owner of this site and can post any damn thing he wants!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
W-A-S-T-E of time IMO. You just post a link? What's the point of your post OP?

Really? You query one of the site owners who lives in Virginia why he posted in the Virginia sub-forum about laws pertaining to Virginians?

Many people train/practice with paint ball or BB guns + many a youngster will be introduced to shooting with BB guns, it's still considered a right of passage by some.

Is it relevant? - yes. Is it well done and interesting? - Yes. Next question.

zoom6zoom

From the article:
Localities may, under both federal and state law, impose restrictions on the sale of air guns to minors but may not impose such restrictions on adults.

I guess some states are ignoring federal law then; perhaps someone would like to file some actions. New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts and Michigan are four states that specifically regulate air rifles and/or BB guns. In addition, the cities of New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC also limit air gun usage. Several of these states have defined air rifles as "firearms" and require a permit to purchase or possess. cite: http://www.airrifle.com/about_airguns.htm

Last edited:

TFred

From the article:

Localities may, under both federal and state law, impose restrictions on the sale of air guns to minors but may not impose such restrictions on adults.

I guess some states are ignoring federal law then; perhaps someone would like to file some actions. New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts and Michigan are four states that specifically regulate air rifles and/or BB guns. In addition, the cities of New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC also limit air gun usage. Several of these states have defined air rifles as "firearms" and require a permit to purchase or possess. cite: http://www.airrifle.com/about_airguns.htm
The article is about Virginia law. Not about any other state's laws.

When John says "Localities may....", he is referring specifically and only to localities within the state of Virginia. Virginia law prohibits them from imposing laws in conflict with state law.

It is sad but no surprise that many other states have far more restrictive laws on air guns than Virginia does.

TFred

Last edited:

zoom6zoom

Fred, I realize the article is about Virginia laws. However, the article (at least to my reading or understanding) says that Federal law would prohibit states (all of 'em) from having such restrictions. Which was the point of my post.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Fred, I realize the article is about Virginia laws. However, the article (at least to my reading or understanding) says that Federal law would prohibit states (all of 'em) from having such restrictions. Which was the point of my post.

It's actually a pretty good article Zoom.
Federal law doesn't prevent states from regulating them, they just aren't regulated by the Federal Government.

As to being a destructive device, The ATF has to view in the light of being used in the past as a sporting weapon. John missed the fact that Lewis and Clark used either a 54 or 58 air gun on their expedition.Large caliber air guns go well back before flintlocks.