• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TAke a look at Sid Miller response to my question on Open Carry. Looks like a way.

SA-TX

Centurion
Yes and let's work to make it happen

HB2756 WAS voted out of committee during the last legislative session. I testified in favor of the bill -as a former Texas resident who still holds a non-resident Texas CHL- before the Public Safety Subcommittee that voted HB 2756 out of committee. It was also voted out of the HS & PS Committee, but "stalled-out" in calendars when the session adjourned. The HB2756 version of licensed OC did not have the support of TSRA. It is my understanding that TSRA may introduce a modified version of of HB2756 in 2013, but my information is soley based on rumors at this point.

I believe some version of licensed OC will pass the legislature in 2013, but TSRA support is critical.

But you are right - Texans need to get proactive beginning NOW and let their voices be heard in every ear.

I keep harping about writing letters to Attorney General Greg Abbott. Maybe I'm naively mistaken - but I think if enough mail arrives at his office - he will apply his good offices to the cause.

I think the AG's office isn't the right avenue but making your feelings known can't hurt.

I agree completely that people joining TSRA and working with that group and its leaders is the single most effective thing you can do to get OC passed in TX this session. Forget the past because the objective is within our sights. TSRA will not be neutral on bills that they craft or are crafted to their liking. This IS the way to get it done.

Looking forward to working with you,

SA-TX

rushcreek2

The consensus of the citizens of Texas in 1875 was that the delegates tasked with adopting a post-Reconstruction constitution should essentially reinstate the universally respected, and readily available 1845 Texas Constitution, while modifying it only as necessity might require rather than attempting to start from scratch, or rely upon the 1861, 1866, or 1869 Texas Constitutions as models. This is a CRUCIAL element - in any effort to honestly interpret the intent of "...but the Legislature shall have power to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime".

The 1845 Texas Constitution provided absolutely NO means for the Texas Legislature to regulate the right to keep and bear arms. The only discussion during the 1845 Constitution Convention relating to the question of whether the right should be subject to some restriction concerned the practice of CRIMINALS carrying CONCEALED deadly weapons- primarily Bowie Knives by the way - not handguns. Bowie Knives were much more lethal, and not limited to only ONE "shot" as pistols were.

Efforts to adopt some restriction upon CONCEALED carry of deadly weapons during the 1845 Convention FAILED due to the overriding concern that such restrictions would also render the LAW-ABIDING citizens helpless in the face of assassins, and robbers. In other words the consensus of the convention delegates was that it was preferable to suffer the spurious practice of potential criminals carrying concealed deadly weapons, than to prevent law-abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves against such criminals by also carrying concealed deadly weapons.

Arguments were put forth during the 1875-76 Constitution Convention that the Legislature should be empowered to PROHIBIT the wearing of arms - AGAIN - a term used to describe the CONCEALMENT of arms. The proposed power to "PROHIBIT the wearing of arms" was not adopted. Instead the wording "power to REGULATE the wearing of arms , WITH A VIEW TO PREVENT CRIME" was adopted. In other words this power to regulate the wearing of arms was INTENDED to address the wearing of arms FOR CRIMINAL PURPOSES.

The entire legal premise that handgun carry is somehow excepted from the right to keep and bear arms that every citizen shall have under the present 1876 Texas Constitution is preposterous. Handgun carry for CRIMINAL purposes may be regulated. The Texas CHL is constitutional to the extent that such licensing serves to preclude known criminals from carrying handguns, but there is no basis for the premise that the 1876 Texas Constitution somehow provides the Legislature with the power to mandate that law-abiding citizens who are issued the CHL must carry their handguns concealed at all times.

I know - Texas case laws still stubbornly adheres to the April 12, 1871 Disarmament Act that essentially banned habitual handgun carry except when traveling. This aspect of Texas case law is an utter embarrassment to the Lone Star State in that it amounts to nothing less than 141 years of voluntary submission to federal Reconstruction rule well into the 21st Century.

Now - if my feeble, and simple mind can navigate through a few pages of documented Texas history, and reason out this obvious conclusion - don't you think the Texas Attorney General can do the same ? And isn't that the job he was hired to do - provide wise counsel to the State regarding the Texas Constitution ?

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

Aside from Perry, these governors have done enough to make my radar screen:

Brewer, AZ
Scott, FL
Jindal, LA
Haley, SC
McDonald, VA

Honorable mentions go to these for being active & fighters in budget/finance/union matters:
Daniels, IN
Snyder, MI
Kasich, OH
Walker, WI
Christie, NJ

That makes Perry one of 6 (of 29 Republican governors) who are truly leading the way. In conclusion, I disagree that Perry is a passive follower just happy to be a governor and trying to enjoy the ride.

SA-TX

Not Christi on 2nd Amendment rights.

He has stated that he thinks NJ's Draconian firearms laws are "about right".

SA-TX

Centurion
I agree with your recitation of history, but ...

The consensus of the citizens of Texas in 1875 was that the delegates tasked with adopting a post-Reconstruction constitution should essentially reinstate the universally respected, and readily available 1845 Texas Constitution, while modifying it only as necessity might require rather than attempting to start from scratch, or rely upon the 1861, 1866, or 1869 Texas Constitutions as models. This is a CRUCIAL element - in any effort to honestly interpret the intent of "...but the Legislature shall have power to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime".

I agree

Arguments were put forth during the 1875-76 Constitution Convention that the Legislature should be empowered to PROHIBIT the wearing of arms - AGAIN - a term used to describe the CONCEALMENT of arms. The proposed power to "PROHIBIT the wearing of arms" was not adopted. Instead the wording "power to REGULATE the wearing of arms , WITH A VIEW TO PREVENT CRIME" was adopted. In other words this power to regulate the wearing of arms was INTENDED to address the wearing of arms FOR CRIMINAL PURPOSES.

Agreed. Unfortunately long, long ago a Democratic legislature (this is post-Reconstruction) passed, a Democratic governor signed into law, and a Democratic Supreme Court/Court of Criminal Appeals ruled that the 1876 wording DID provide the Legislature with that power. That's why no past AG has sought to change it, nor is it likely that AG Abbott will do so.

Now - if my feeble, and simple mind can navigate through a few pages of documented Texas history, and reason out this obvious conclusion - don't you think the Texas Attorney General can do the same ? And isn't that the job he was hired to do - provide wise counsel to the State regarding the Texas Constitution ?

I think you are missing the bigger picture. WE THE PEOPLE haven't demanded that our legislators change the law. As sad as it is, Texans have accepted the current state of affairs. Therefore no AG or governor or any other elected official is to spend his political capital on something that a large segment of Texans apparently don't care about particularly where there is 140 some years of unbroken precedent. Even today, among gun owners and CHL holders, we have a lively debate over what carry restrictions there ought to be. If that group of 2A activists can't agree on what changes to propose, the general populace is much less likely to raise the issue to the level necessary for those in Austin to care.

Bottom line -- the history, the Constitution, our tradition of liberty, etc. sadly don't matter in this case because it is a very anomolous exception to the rule that Texans guard their freedom jealously and will fight anyone to retain it. We somehow gave in on this one and so much time as passed that it just doesn't register on people's radar. For this reason, strategies that "fly under the radar" -- such as eliminating the penalty for CHL holder not concealing -- should be successful. Every state has their positives and negatives. Texas is blessed with many, many positive qualities and only a few negatives. Regretably this is one of them.

SA-TX

rushcreek2

I used to live in Tom Green County during the '60's & '70's. During that time there was no handgun carry illegality issue unless you used one to menace, rob, or shoot someone. I was closely aqcuainted with several San Angelo LEO's during those years, and the subject never came up. During those years the criminal carry of a handgun was correctly associated with CRIMINAL CONDUCT. I recall that the handgun issue only started becoming a problem affecting law-abiding citizens around 1990 and really got traction in 1993 when Clinton took office- and that was primarily in Harris County (Houston).

My point is that although the April 12, 1871 Disarmament Act has been around for 141 years- it didn't become a serious issue affecting law-abiding Texans until about 20 years ago. The 46.035a "crime" of intentional failure to conceal by a CHL license holder has only been around for 16 years.

So the two main issues affecting handgun carry by Texans, and people visiting Texas have presented themselves only within the last 2 decades - a far cry from qualifying for 141 years of public acceptance status.

The handgun license is here to stay - I believe - but 46.035a definitely is not. There is considerable support among Republicans in the Legislature to repeal that onerous section in 2013.

This is an issue that is presently experiencing rejection by the body politic of the extremism of the past 2 decades. The trend is definitely leaning towards relaxation of such restrictions.

Last edited: