• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TAke a look at Sid Miller response to my question on Open Carry. Looks like a way.

texastransplant

I am new to this forum; this is my first posting. I moved to Texas 2 years ago and was active in Illinoiscarry and the Rockford Tea Party. I am retired; a Vietnam era vet also married to an Army veteran. I am in Sid Miller’s 59th district and as you know he is the Chairman of the Homeland and Public Safety in the state. I have him on my facebook page and messaged the following to him, and he followed with this response.

Sir, your opinion on open carry? 6 states have it, Ok just passed theirs. Some allow it with CHL others as our Constitution says "shall not be in fringed" not may and others just plain follow the Constitution. As a former Illinois resident I know what it's like to live without any ccw/chl or even barely allow to have firearms. I know what it's like to hide behind your window with a .45 in hand as druggies and gangbangers fight it out in your yard. I have seen drug deals daily, gun shots daily and bodies dumped in my neighborhood. That's what happens when citizens are not allowed their rights. In state where there is open carry/constitutional carry, crime drops even lower. With Texas being a "open" border with Mexico don't you think we should have these rights? I have my chl and do carry sometimes it's harder in the heat to dress for it and not have a firearm print. I know 15000 other gun owners on Texas Gun Talk dot com would be for it. If it did pass I doubt you'd even see 10% of us with licenses carry but we should have that option. This is important to us that value our 2nd amendment rights. My 6th removed Grandfather "Francis Lewis" put his name on the Declaration of Independence and I am sure he didn't do it have these rights taken. He lost almost everything fighting for our freedom and it is up to us as Americans to hold on to them. Thank you for your response.

SID MILLER: As chairman of Homeland Security and Public Safety, all gun laws come before my committe, only if I decide to give them a hearing. I gave the open carry bill a hearing last session and will be glad to give it another one this session. The bill was filed by Representative George Lavender. George couldn't get the votes to pass it out of committee. We do have a large turnover on the committee this session, so I will give it a second chance.
The NRA and Texas Sate Rifle Association were neutral on the bill. I would suggest that you come to Austin and speak on the bill your self and engage in the process. I am glad to help out.

Notice his last line. Come to Austin an speak yourself and engage in the process.

I can tell you in Illinois every year for the past 5 years Illinois carry and ISRA Illinois State Rifle Associate marched on the capitol to try and fight for our chl rights. Over 5000 show up in shirts printed with our feelings and go into the capitol and talk to our representatives. We would have a few speakers some pretty well known. Mr. Washington from Washington vs. Chicago on having a handgun in the city of Chicago.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this. Sid Miller is the one that would get this to the floor. I think with a thousand or so showing up with support it would go a long ways toward having our 2nd amendment rights.

texastransplant

I am a Vietnam era Army veteran and my wife is also a Army veteran. Retired moved here 2 years ago, I am a former ffl, NRA member and political in nature. Enjoying country things, old mopars, shooting, hunting and fishing. I have been active in the Rockford Tea Party and Illinois carry effort. I know this was my first posting but I thought since Sid Miller is in a run off election I would like to see him re-elected because it's my belief he will help us. Then thing is from his note was the fact that "we the people" need to speak up for our rights. I think a show of force by gun owners would be a great thing to do. Words without action is basically nothing. "Shall not be in fringed" is what our 2nd amendment right states. Texas is a great place, I don't want it to see it go like where I lived in Illinois. Having open carry would be one more right they would have to fight to take away. Having constitutional carry would be even better.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I am new to this forum; this is my first posting. I moved to Texas 2 years ago and was active in Illinoiscarry and the Rockford Tea Party. I am retired; a Vietnam era vet also married to an Army veteran. I am in Sid Miller’s 59th district and as you know he is the Chairman of the Homeland and Public Safety in the state. I have him on my facebook page and messaged the following to him, and he followed with this response.

Sir, your opinion on open carry? 6 states have it, Ok just passed theirs. Some allow it with CHL others as our Constitution says "shall not be in fringed" not may and others just plain follow the Constitution. As a former Illinois resident I know what it's like to live without any ccw/chl or even barely allow to have firearms. I know what it's like to hide behind your window with a .45 in hand as druggies and gangbangers fight it out in your yard. I have seen drug deals daily, gun shots daily and bodies dumped in my neighborhood. That's what happens when citizens are not allowed their rights. In state where there is open carry/constitutional carry, crime drops even lower. With Texas being a "open" border with Mexico don't you think we should have these rights? I have my chl and do carry sometimes it's harder in the heat to dress for it and not have a firearm print. I know 15000 other gun owners on Texas Gun Talk dot com would be for it. If it did pass I doubt you'd even see 10% of us with licenses carry but we should have that option. This is important to us that value our 2nd amendment rights. My 6th removed Grandfather "Francis Lewis" put his name on the Declaration of Independence and I am sure he didn't do it have these rights taken. He lost almost everything fighting for our freedom and it is up to us as Americans to hold on to them. Thank you for your response.

SID MILLER: As chairman of Homeland Security and Public Safety, all gun laws come before my committe, only if I decide to give them a hearing. I gave the open carry bill a hearing last session and will be glad to give it another one this session. The bill was filed by Representative George Lavender. George couldn't get the votes to pass it out of committee. We do have a large turnover on the committee this session, so I will give it a second chance.
The NRA and Texas Sate Rifle Association were neutral on the bill. I would suggest that you come to Austin and speak on the bill your self and engage in the process. I am glad to help out.

Notice his last line. Come to Austin an speak yourself and engage in the process.

I can tell you in Illinois every year for the past 5 years Illinois carry and ISRA Illinois State Rifle Associate marched on the capitol to try and fight for our chl rights. Over 5000 show up in shirts printed with our feelings and go into the capitol and talk to our representatives. We would have a few speakers some pretty well known. Mr. Washington from Washington vs. Chicago on having a handgun in the city of Chicago.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this. Sid Miller is the one that would get this to the floor. I think with a thousand or so showing up with support it would go a long ways toward having our 2nd amendment rights.

Well written! I think you are off a bit on the number of states with open carry. I believe the number is closer to 43 with something like 28 not requiring a license of any kind and the others requiring a license. I lived in Waukegan, IL in the late 70's and could see that times were changing. I moved out of Illinois and never looked back. I don't blame you for moving to the Lone Star State!

Going to Austin to speak is an excellent idea. I hope you take a lot of support people with you to show them you guys want ALL your rights. Take those 15,000 Texans with you!

Finally, thank you and your wife for your service!

texastransplant

Yes Illlinois is a mess, glad to be here. I can tell you in Illinois folks are fired up that's why it is easy to get 5000 to march to the capitol. Here in Texas were you pretty much have our freedoms and govement is not near as corrupt it's harder to get folks fired up. It's easy with the fingers typing but when it comes to putting the leather to the ground it's more difficult. I wish I was great at public speaking but I panic at our cowboy church when I ask for more food donations to a pantry I help out with.

I have a feeling that if we could get 1000 to show and a few speakers that they might see the light. I sure can and feel sorry for those living closer to the border then I do. I know they are at risk. Back in Illinois they are being overun with illegals and all the laws protect them, free healthcare, housing, schools teach in spanish, it's a mess and one in three on food stamps. This is the resault of open borders. Imgaine lving in a city of 150k and having 25 murders a years. Ranked 3rd worst behind Detroit and St Louis.. I am not saying guns are the cure but they will cut crime down. Do criminals normally do a crime in front of a LEO? No, I doubt they would infront of a armed citizen.

rushcreek2

HB2756 WAS voted out of committee during the last legislative session. I testified in favor of the bill -as a former Texas resident who still holds a non-resident Texas CHL- before the Public Safety Subcommittee that voted HB 2756 out of committee. It was also voted out of the HS & PS Committee, but "stalled-out" in calendars when the session adjourned. The HB2756 version of licensed OC did not have the support of TSRA. It is my understanding that TSRA may introduce a modified version of of HB2756 in 2013, but my information is soley based on rumors at this point.

I believe some version of licensed OC will pass the legislature in 2013, but TSRA support is critical.

But you are right - Texans need to get proactive beginning NOW and let their voices be heard in every ear.

I keep harping about writing letters to Attorney General Greg Abbott. Maybe I'm naively mistaken - but I think if enough mail arrives at his office - he will apply his good offices to the cause.

KBCraig

I sure can and feel sorry for those living closer to the border then I do. I know they are at risk.
El Paso is the safest large city in America. The border zone, on the American side, is safer than Houston, DFW, or SA.

On the south side, of course, is an entirely different matter.

texastransplant

El Paso is the safest large city in America. The border zone, on the American side, is safer than Houston, DFW, or SA.

On the south side, of course, is an entirely different matter.

I have to agree with you on that, those larger cities have a whole nother problem but should the whole of Texas suffer because of them? It's the same in Illinois, Chicago holds up the whole state. Thanks for that the information on your testifying, I think that needs to be done by a bunch of us and also a march or large group there to support the idea. As far as the TSRA, being new here I can't understand why they wouldn't want it. I know in Illinois the IRSA is a major push behind conceal carry. I think sometimes the mindset of hunting, sporting use of long guns and handguns seem more protected then the right of personal protection.

Until you have lived ini an area where criminals carrying is the norm you don't realize what a problem it is. CHL is fine however freedom to do as our Constitution is better. Again, I'd not carry openly all the time, but sure there would be times I would. You have to look at it from the mind of a criminal, if they see someone carrying a firearm there is going to be a hesitation to commit the crime. The fear that someone will jump you and disarm you taking your firearm is unfounded.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't know why people feel compelled to state that they are vets ... it does not matter ... everyone (vet or not) has the rights the 2nd amendment provides us.

And people in IL do carry in certain parts and the local police look the other way.

KBCraig

I have to agree with you on that, those larger cities have a whole nother problem but should the whole of Texas suffer because of them?
(emphasis added) "Them"?

Crime in Texas, like everywhere else, is mostly driven by native-born American citizens, usually several generations removed from immigrant ancestors. The vast majority of illegals are doing their best to stay below the radar, and avoid any police attention, because they want to stay here and work, not go to jail and then get deported.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
(emphasis added) "Them"?

Crime in Texas, like everywhere else, is mostly driven by native-born American citizens, usually several generations removed from immigrant ancestors. The vast majority of illegals are doing their best to stay below the radar, and avoid any police attention, because they want to stay here and work, not go to jail and then get deported.

I'm an example of it. See it from the converse perspective. I make it my daily purpose to violate every law I can that outlines a victimless crime passed by 'representatives' who aren't representing any interest but their own. Or worse, transforming a right into a crime. Any REAL American would. Those who are too afraid of the consequences aren't Americans because they're not TAKING ACTION against their corrupt government. Stuff another Big Mac in your face while watching Jersey Shore... Losers ARE Traitors.

Got too much too lose? What will you have when this road leads to it's final stupidity? Your Stuff isn't worth much compared to the Bill of Rights you've thrown away. Your precious Money is being devalued to the point that it doesn't matter how much you have...

Your two party system is nothing but a conspiracy against the Constitution. Wake up while you still can. Pathetic!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I don't know why people feel compelled to state that they are vets ... it does not matter ... everyone (vet or not) has the rights the 2nd amendment provides us.

And people in IL do carry in certain parts and the local police look the other way.

When people state they are Veterans it means a lot to me. Why? Because usually those folks joined on their own to support and defend this great country and suffered through financial hardships and family separations that most will never undergo. Many "Veterans" have died over the years to preserve this country and our freedoms fighting in lands most of us will never visit in our lifetimes and never want to visit. But they go anyway and do as they are asked. Many die, others are maimed for life.

The 2nd Amendment was paid for with the blood of Veterans. It sure didn't happen just because people wished for it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
When people state they are Veterans it means a lot to me. Why? Because usually those folks joined on their own to support and defend this great country and suffered through financial hardships and family separations that most will never undergo. Many "Veterans" have died over the years to preserve this country and our freedoms fighting in lands most of us will never visit in our lifetimes and never want to visit. But they go anyway and do as they are asked. Many die, others are maimed for life.

The 2nd Amendment was paid for with the blood of Veterans. It sure didn't happen just because people wished for it.

I throw this in with the Cop who put in his 4 years in the militaryand is now violating my Rights.

What you did then means nothing; what are you doing now? Wiping your ass with what you say you fought for?

()pen(arry

It's great that a politician expresses willingness to support an open carry bill. Governor Perry and countless state Congressmen have done as much. We still don't have any movement.

Hermod rode to Hel's hall on Sleipnir's back. Seeing Baldr in chains in Hel's honor seat, he pleaded with Hel to give Baldr back his breath, as the whole world wept for Baldr. Hel replied that he would give Baldr back his life, if every living creature wept for his death.

Laud we Hel?

texastransplant

I guess then as the say to get opencarry through in Texas would mean putting rubber to the road. People showing up and offering support rather then having the lawmakers do it. The old saying "actions speak louder then words."

As far as a saying the word "veteran" it's just part of who veterans are. It's not ment as to say if you are not you are un American. I volunteered during Vietnam, it was something our family did. Same with the wife, she grew up in a military family. I think it really boils down to taking an oath. No, didn't retire from there just went and did what we felt we had to do that's all.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Governor Perry and countless state Congressmen have done as much. We still don't have any movement." -- ()pen(arry

Nor do we have (or had had) any Republican governor who has done any LEADING re: the issue, just talk about it and only when asked, and isn't TALK what politicians do best? It's the rule, not the exception. That sorry Democrat Governor Texas had some years back (Ann Richards) was a good "excuse" to explain nothing getting done, but not for a Republican Governor since then.

A couple of years ago, I even wrote Perry and asked him to LEAD...not FOLLOW like he tends to do in following other states/governors (such as Gov. Brewer of AZ -- after siding against her stance on immigration -- and currently, following FL in resisting ObamaCare), but demonstrate some LEADERSHIP (good old-fashioned initiative).

He never responded.

IMO, Pansy Perry is a disgrace, not just on the gun issue but re: immigration also. Glad he had no chance to be Da Prez.

Last edited:

matt dillon

where Pooley he seem to have some good advice I would like to here his opinion and thoughts for the year 2013 open carry law

adric22

I live in Ft.Worth. But if anyone organizes any such "March on Austin" for the cause of open-carry, count me in. I'll drive down there and join the march.

SA-TX

Centurion
I respectfully disagree about Perry

"Governor Perry and countless state Congressmen have done as much. We still don't have any movement." -- ()pen(arry

Nor do we have (or had had) any Republican governor who has done any LEADING re: the issue, just talk about it and only when asked, and isn't TALK what politicians do best? It's the rule, not the exception. That sorry Democrat Governor Texas had some years back (Ann Richards) was a good "excuse" to explain nothing getting done, but not for a Republican Governor since then.

A couple of years ago, I even wrote Perry and asked him to LEAD...not FOLLOW like he tends to do in following other states/governors (such as Gov. Brewer of AZ -- after siding against her stance on immigration -- and currently, following FL in resisting ObamaCare), but demonstrate some LEADERSHIP (good old-fashioned initiative).

He never responded.

IMO, Pansy Perry is a disgrace, not just on the gun issue but re: immigration also. Glad he had no chance to be Da Prez.

Cloudcroft, I think people lead in different ways. Governor Perry has been preaching about the loss of state soverignty for several years now including in his book Fed Up. I believe he has done a good job in raising awareness of its importance and that is now paying off in the actions you are seeing from governors all across the country. Similarly his work with the Repubican Governors Association almost certainly helped to elect a great crop of new governors, including Rick Scott of FL. While I applaud Gov. Scott's action on Medicare, even he wasn't the first. I believe others beat him to the punch.

I think Governor Perry and top officials in our state have been leaders on important issues. Regarding firearms, AG Abbott, with Perry's support I'm sure, was the lead state & drafted the amicus brief joined by 38 states (https://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/release.php?id=3233) before the U.S. Supreme Court in the Heller decision (getting the 2A declared to be a fundamental right). Similarly he submitted one in the McDonald v. Chicago case )incorporating the 2A via the 14A to the States). Similarly Texas has been on the forefront of fighting the EPA on their increasingly ridiculous air and water quality demands. Of course, we've been the leader in capital punishment for quite some time. Redistricting & the misuse of the Civil Rights Act led Texas the the USSC early this year and we prevailed.

Governor Perry isn't perfect and I don't know that I'll support him for a 4th term but he seems to be on TV defending our constitutional system and individual liberty far more than most. Who else is doing this work? Govs. Jindal and Haley for sure. Who else? I'd say I'm much more familiar with sitting governors than most voters so I tested myself (source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_United_States_governors) to see which ones I could recognize thanks to their high-profile work & dealing with the media. The result:

Aside from Perry, these governors have done enough to make my radar screen:

Brewer, AZ
Scott, FL
Jindal, LA
Haley, SC
McDonald, VA

Honorable mentions go to these for being active & fighters in budget/finance/union matters:
Daniels, IN
Snyder, MI
Kasich, OH
Walker, WI
Christie, NJ

That makes Perry one of 6 (of 29 Republican governors) who are truly leading the way. In conclusion, I disagree that Perry is a passive follower just happy to be a governor and trying to enjoy the ride.

SA-TX