• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What time do you carry?

vegaspassat

LOL ok so more specifically, at what position do you prefer to OC? 3 o'clock? 5 o'clock? Personally I've found that if I carry at the 2 o'clock position I feel much better about having positive control over my firearm, and with more than a few trips to the range I've noticed that I am WAY better at drawing and being accurate in a hurry. Also, when I go to the bar and shoot pool, my gut hangs over my gun in the 1-2 o'clock range, so it would be harder to for someone to try and take my gun from me. I've tried carrying cross draw before and I feel more exposed, which is weird. Same thing with 4 o'clock to 5 o'clock carry. I just don't feel as though I have positive control over my firearm. What "time" do you carry? And why does it work best for you?

Lostlittlerobot

have moved it a bit, and settled on 3'o'clock. Depending on pants, try to keep it clear of both front right and back right pockets so i can get in and out easily with a hand for wallet/whatever. It feels best there. Carry a mag at 9' if i'm in dress clothes,, gives symetry, or my cargo type pants, 5.11 have a mag pocket around 11oclock. I can keep my thumb in my right pocket with my arm over holster...keeping contact and feeling in control. I've only really tried drawing and firing from 3 o clock. Any closer to my crotch seems like i'm flagging something important....and further behind seems like unnecessary movement.

CC'ed with holster tucked in at 12 o clock...felt weird, especially sitting, and at 6 o clock...the 6 o clock gave me a bruise after a few hours around my spine heh. Since I OC most times, the CC times were rare, hence more use would probably be less bruising.

Rollbar

3 O'Clock right side & 2 O'Clock cross-draw.

I just don't understand the 5 O'Clock position/4 O'Clock.

Merlin

Depends on my clothes. 3 o'clock most of the time, but sometimes, if the pants are too soft, 3 o'clock will tend to lean out a bit, so I go 4 o'clock. At 4 o'clock, my elbow is against it, and it keeps in nice and tight. I'll also go 4:00 if I want to not be noticed right away, and have a chance to make a first impression before I get spotted. So they see my smiling face and friendly demeanor before they see my gun.

The Big Guy

Snubbie .357 between 1 and 2 o'clock on my right side. Just ahead of my pocket. I feel it gives me much better control over someone coming up behind me and attempting to relieve me of it. I also practice presentation from that position and it actually works better for me than the 3 O'clock. Much faster and smoother as my draw hand and support hand meet up faster giving me far better control on shot placement.

TBG

vegaspassat

Snubbie .357 between 1 and 2 o'clock on my right side. Just ahead of my pocket. I feel it gives me much better control over someone coming up behind me and attempting to relieve me of it. I also practice presentation from that position and it actually works better for me than the 3 O'clock. Much faster and smoother as my draw hand and support hand meet up faster giving me far better control on shot placement.

TBG

this is exactly what I've come to find as well. I have my serpa set to where the grip of my gun is canted forward and it just seems that 2:00 is the best position for draw. I've actually run drills where I draw, crouch and move backwards all at the same time and fire one shot. At 7 yards I was consistently making 1 inch groupings because my grip was perfect from straight from the draw.

Yard Sale

2:30? 2:45? 3:00?

952073198_8ZV7Z-M.jpg
853161799_MDNF4-M.jpg
1012970390_x9fde-M.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The gun is tilted more butt-forward than a standard tilt. The FBI made it famous because it is slightly faster from under a suit coat.

If you Yahoo search it (we don't use Google anymore, remember) you will probably find it more often referred to as the "FBI cant."

Last edited:

ed2276

Like Battle, I'm a lefty. I carry at about 9 o'clock with a forward tilt/cant. My arm naturally rests on the firearm at the 9 position when either fully extended at my side or bent at 45 degree angle, so I feel pretty secure about weapon retention. I keep my mag at about the 4 o'clock position.