• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Common Grounds Festival-Lansing, MI bans firearms

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Small_Arms_Collector

Here is what I sent:

On your FAQ page under the 4th question you give a list of prohibited items, and at the bottom of the list it says "weapons of any kind", this policy is illegal under state law, and is unenforceable. MCL 123.1102 clearly states:
FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Here is the link: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kh...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

Your ban on "weapons of any kind" violates state law. State law has no prohibition what so ever regarding carrying a concealed firearm in to "music festivals", further even if it did state law provides an exemption to those who openly carry with a CPL, in either case your ban is illegal.

Further in addition to being plainly illegal it is also immoral, and unconscionable, the right of self defense is the most basic of human rights, and you would ban that at your festival leaving all who attend at the mercy of criminals who by the way would not obey your ban anyway as you would make it impossible for anyone to carry weapons to defend themselves if attacked. The right to bear arms is important enough to be enshrined in the seond amendment to the constitution, second only to the freedom of speech, yet you would seek to ban it.

budlight

I sent a comment in too......

To Whom It May Concern:

While reviewing your website for the Commonground Music Festival I found that you prohibit weapons of any kind. Please be advised that this is held on public property, therefore you cannot ban any type of firearms. Please see Michigan’s Preemption Statute regarding firearms and ammunition. Also note this statute has been upheld in the Michigan Appeals Court; MCRGO vs. The City of Ferndale.

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

TheQ

Sent this to the city council:

City Council members and Mayor:

Greetings! I am the President of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. We are a Michigan Not-For-Profit organization that promotes the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun. I am writing to you in reference to the upcoming common ground festival.

http://www.commongroundfest.com/FestivalInfo/FAQ

"Am I allowed to bring a Backpack or Purse into the Festival"

Under this question is a list of things prohibited. In the list is "Weapons of any kind".

Common Grounds is held on/in City Parks and Streets. As such, Michigan's Firearm Preemption law applies.

Each of you may be aware that in 1990 the Michigan Legislature passed MCL 123.1102, which states:

During the Past Decade the City of Ferndale challenged the law by enacting and enforcing a city ordinance prohibiting Firearms in their city owned (not an authority like CADL) public library. Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO) bought suit against the city. The Michigan Court of Appeals found for MCRGO and struck down the city ordinance. In part the Court of Appeals found:

In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically prohibits local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.

We hold your allowance of the Common Ground Festival organizers to ban firearms amounts to city endorsed regulation of Firearms. We look forward to working with you and the festival organizers to quietly and civilly make this ban go away. A similar situation was resolved in the City of Royal Oaks regarding "Arts, Beats, and Eats" over a year ago. Sadly, the city and the festival organizers didn't take our request seriously until the media became involved and a circus ensued. We hope that type of attention won't be required here. Since we are on a tight timeline (festival less than 2 weeks away), please acknowledge the receipt of this email and confirm your plans to work with us to get this rule removed no later than close of business on Tuesday July 3, 2012.

Regards,

--
Phillip Hofmeister
President
Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
PHofmeister@miopencarry.org
http://www.miopencarry.org

PS. I am also a City of Lansing Resident since 2006.

I also transmitted a copy of it to the Festival here

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

im volunteering one day with CERT out there....if i see any openly carried firearms ill probably offer to buy you a coke instead of kick you out.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
nevermind, i see them now
our comments definitely aren't being missed. they're being ignored. they are answering plenty of other questions.

Last edited:

TheQ

I sense our next move is to start writing on the wall of local media outlets. I'll make appropriate Facebook page entries on MOC's page this evening *sighs*

Anyone up to showing up en masse open holster at next week's city of Lansing council meeting? They meet at 7:00 PM.

WilDChilD

I sense our next move is to start writing on the wall of local media outlets. I'll make appropriate Facebook page entries on MOC's page this evening *sighs*

Anyone up to showing up en masse open holster at next week's city of Lansing council meeting? They meet at 7:00 PM.

Is that 7:00 pm on Monday?