Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Case of Emergency, Open Carry at Home

In Case of Emergency, Open Carry at Home

After last nights 80mph derecho we awoke to our phone service and tv down.
    A text message from PW County informs us that all 911 service is also down.

"If you have an emergency, go to your local police or fire station for assistance."

Really?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	580098_326893207384963_196128047128[1].jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	8734  

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_Muntz View Post

"If you have an emergency, go to your local police or fire station for assistance."

Really?
    Nelson....never depend on anyone other than yourself.
    Never dial 911.
    Never be disappointed.

Really?
    Fairfax sent out the same message. I just shook my head.

And people wonder why I carry...

Really?
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Really?
    Well you got a text from them so the cell towers are still up. If its not a no reply number that's what I'd dial until 911 is back up.

Why do we ALWAYS have to teach our govt. wienies everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    A man called 911 to report that his tool shed has just been broken into and the thieves were still in the shed. 911 told him they were sorry, but they had no officers available to respond. 911 promised they would get there as soon as they could. The man waited a minute and called them back, "I had to shoot one of them, he pulled a gun on me!" Within minutes 5 or 6 cops came rolling up in front of his house. The police asked where the body was. The man told the police they were still in the shed in the back yard stealing stuff. The cops said, "I thought you had to shoot one of them!?" The man said, "And I thought you said you had nobody that could respond!!!"
    Thats a good one! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    A man called 911 to report that his tool shed has just been broken into and the thieves were still in the shed. 911 told him they were sorry, but they had no officers available to respond. 911 promised they would get there as soon as they could. The man waited a minute and called them back, "I had to shoot one of them, he pulled a gun on me!" Within minutes 5 or 6 cops came rolling up in front of his house. The police asked where the body was. The man told the police they were still in the shed in the back yard stealing stuff. The cops said, "I thought you had to shoot one of them!?" The man said, "And I thought you said you had nobody that could respond!!!"
    I have always liked this joke but it is a sad fact that LEAs don't always have the resources to respond to every 911 call as it is received. Calls must be prioritized.You just hope they put think in the same order as you would. As Peter Nap said, be prepared to depend on yourself first.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Living at the edge

Really?
    Fortunately they still don't know we are here. The tax office knows... But the services people still have no clue. Of course in Prince William the tax office keeps very good records of peoples whereabouts. So anyway we did not get this highly intellectual message from our local government officials. I consider this to be one of the remaining advantages of living at the end of a dead end road. While we are not quite at the end of the Earth.... You can indeed see it from here, and since you can't get anywhere else by coming down here, nobody does. Including the local Government.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Why wait for "declared" emergencies? I ALWAYS carry at home.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    yeah, never know when there might be an unexpected knock at the door. Yesterday evening my wife had taken Logan out and I was sat home watching TV when there was a knock at our door. I wasn't expecting anyone so I ignored it for a couple of minutes while I put my shoes on and then heard someone knocking on my upstairs neighbor's door. That's when I opened my door to see who was there while resting my right hand on the XDM I was wearing.

It turned out to be someone campaigning for Tim Kaine who, when receiving no answer had proceeded to drop campaign literature on my doorstep, this despite the fact that I have a mailslot in my front door. I asked him if he was responsible for littering my doorstep and he said he wasn't littering. I corrected him stating that now one of us has to pick up what he dropped and that it wasn't going to be me.

He really didn't like it when I informed him that we have a sign at the entrance to our complex stating that no solicting is permitted on our premises and that if he continued to do so he would be liable to be charged with trespassing in addition to the littering charge he could be facing if he didn't pick up every piece of paper he'd dropped on all my neighbor's doorsteps on his way back to the main street.

Despite the kick that some here might get because it was one of Kaine's supporters I had to deal with (and yes I don't like Kaine either), it was the disrespectful way he couldn't be bothered to put the literature in the mailslot and preferred to just drop it on the floor that really pissed me off.

+1

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    As we speak.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    +1 Every single day.
    It's Murphy's law. The one day you decide to leave it in the safe (or wherever) is the day Zach the Zombie breaks your door down and decided to chomp your face.

Did someone mention not carrying at home ...

Everyone needs to have something that falls into the category of "Don't leave home without it..." If I had an American Express card I would keep in my pocket all the time so it would be there when I need it.

I do not have an American Express card, but I do have a sidearm (a few actually). So that is my "don't leave home without it" item. I see no reason to treat a sidearm any differently than anything else I might need, so yes I carry everywhere, all the time. In the house, around the house, and off the property too. It would be very embarrassing to have to excuse yourself from a serious social event to retrieve a required piece of equipment from a drawer or closet.

So I am a +1 with those who carry at home.
    Last edited by Hawkflyer; 07-05-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

My wife in her best sarcasm has said that I would wear my gun to be if I could holster it in my underwear. Which is really not at all a bad idea. So yeah, I open carry pretty much everywhere and its a dont lave home without it item.

Ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by Bowesmobile View Post
    My wife in her best sarcasm has said that I would wear my gun to be if I could holster it in my underwear. Which is really not at all a bad idea. So yeah, I open carry pretty much everywhere and its a dont lave home without it item.
    This fits the bill.
    http://www.smartcarry.com/

Angry Speaking of "Not Enough Officers"

My wife was met yesterday as she was packing up some items for our move to the new house in Pungo with the scene of three VB squad cars, an unmarked patrol (detective, Sergeant?), a Suburban, an ambulance and a fire engine parked in front of our soon-to-be former home.

The event? Domestic violence.

In order to count the number of police cruisers I saw out on the 4th - "keeping the peace" - I would have to take off my shoes and borrow a hand from a friend.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    This fits the bill.
    http://www.smartcarry.com/
    I was thinking of something else... after my patents are in place I'll let you guys know

I was thinking of something else... after my patents are in place I'll let you guys know
    Sounds vaguely painful

THe first guy ...

THe first guy who mentions Freud loses ...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflyer View Post
    That's way beyond Freud!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflyer View Post
    So who was it that first brought that gentleman's name into the discussion?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    So who was it that first brought that gentleman's name into the discussion?
    The whole conversation puts a new spin on the phrase "accidental discharge" (ducks and runs)

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    yeah, never know when there might be an unexpected knock at the door. Yesterday evening my wife had taken Logan out and I was sat home watching TV when there was a knock at our door. I wasn't expecting anyone so I ignored it for a couple of minutes while I put my shoes on and then heard someone knocking on my upstairs neighbor's door. That's when I opened my door to see who was there while resting my right hand on the XDM I was wearing.

It turned out to be someone campaigning for Tim Kaine who, when receiving no answer had proceeded to drop campaign literature on my doorstep, this despite the fact that I have a mailslot in my front door. I asked him if he was responsible for littering my doorstep and he said he wasn't littering. I corrected him stating that now one of us has to pick up what he dropped and that it wasn't going to be me.

He really didn't like it when I informed him that we have a sign at the entrance to our complex stating that no solicting is permitted on our premises and that if he continued to do so he would be liable to be charged with trespassing in addition to the littering charge he could be facing if he didn't pick up every piece of paper he'd dropped on all my neighbor's doorsteps on his way back to the main street.

Despite the kick that some here might get because it was one of Kaine's supporters I had to deal with (and yes I don't like Kaine either), it was the disrespectful way he couldn't be bothered to put the literature in the mailslot and preferred to just drop it on the floor that really pissed me off.

It is a federal offense to place non-certified (no US postage) material in a container marked "US Mail" or to access such a container if you are not the owner or a US Mail carrier. So if the slot is marked "US Mail" that explaines why they were not using it.
    Last edited by gearup; 07-06-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gearup View Post
    It is a federal offense to place non-certified (no US postage) material in a container marked "US Mail" or to access such a container if you are not the owner or a US Mail carrier. So if the slot is marked "US Mail" that explaines why they were not using it.
    it's not a container, it's a slot in the door with a hinged cover, that someone on the outside can lift out of the way so they can push items the thickness of an envelope through into my home where they just fall onto the floor for me to pick up later. It is not marked 'US Mail', never has been, never will be .. so your point is moot, but thanks for your concern.

If I catch someone littering my doorstep, they will be required to pick it up and take it with them, I don't care who they are or why they did it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast