• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Case of Emergency, Open Carry at Home

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
After last nights 80mph derecho we awoke to our phone service and tv down.
A text message from PW County informs us that all 911 service is also down.

"If you have an emergency, go to your local police or fire station for assistance."

Really?

Attachments

• 580098_326893207384963_196128047128[1].jpg
    580098_326893207384963_196128047128[1].jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 201

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

"If you have an emergency, go to your local police or fire station for assistance."

Really?

Nelson....never depend on anyone other than yourself.
Never dial 911.
Never be disappointed.

Riana

Really?

Fairfax sent out the same message. I just shook my head.

And people wonder why I carry...

Shoobee

I normally dial 911 anytime I observe a crime in progress. These are normally parking lot crimes by burglars late in the night, around 2 a.m.

I am by the gift of God a very lite sleeper, and so I seem to hear everything in the night.

I don't dial-in just anything suspicious. I wait until I actually see the theft or vandalism.

Since I am not a badged LEO I cannot arrest them myself. Hence the need to call.

Within my home I don't need to be a badged LEO. In that case I would call 911 after its all over with for the cleanup.

So to every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.

A time to call 911, and a time to get your hands dirty yourself.

Maine Expat

Really?

Well you got a text from them so the cell towers are still up. If its not a no reply number that's what I'd dial until 911 is back up.

Why do we ALWAYS have to teach our govt. wienies everything? :lol:

Sheriff

A man called 911 to report that his tool shed has just been broken into and the thieves were still in the shed. 911 told him they were sorry, but they had no officers available to respond. 911 promised they would get there as soon as they could. The man waited a minute and called them back, "I had to shoot one of them, he pulled a gun on me!" Within minutes 5 or 6 cops came rolling up in front of his house. The police asked where the body was. The man told the police they were still in the shed in the back yard stealing stuff. The cops said, "I thought you had to shoot one of them!?" The man said, "And I thought you said you had nobody that could respond!!!" :lol:

Bowesmobile

A man called 911 to report that his tool shed has just been broken into and the thieves were still in the shed. 911 told him they were sorry, but they had no officers available to respond. 911 promised they would get there as soon as they could. The man waited a minute and called them back, "I had to shoot one of them, he pulled a gun on me!" Within minutes 5 or 6 cops came rolling up in front of his house. The police asked where the body was. The man told the police they were still in the shed in the back yard stealing stuff. The cops said, "I thought you had to shoot one of them!?" The man said, "And I thought you said you had nobody that could respond!!!" :lol:

Thats a good one! LOL!

babarock

I have always liked this joke but it is a sad fact that LEAs don't always have the resources to respond to every 911 call as it is received. Calls must be prioritized.You just hope they put think in the same order as you would. As Peter Nap said, be prepared to depend on yourself first.

Sheriff

....LEAs don't always have the resources to respond to every 911 call as it is received.

True. But do you know why, the real reason? Agencies nationwide have assigned so many cops to specialized duties that there are none leftover to work normal patrol nowadays. A few drug task force officers can be blocks from this tool shed burglary... do you think they would lower themselves to respond and catch a lowly criminal in the act? Do you think a few traffic enforcement cops are gonna leave their revenue generating post to catch a lowly criminal just a few blocks from their speed trap? In our community we have sworn personnel who do nothing but make sure the new cars get to and from the radio shop and the shops where the decal packages are installed. You think they would swing by a lowly theft in progress even if they were closeby? There's dozens of other examples, but I think you get the point.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
Living at the edge

Really?

Fortunately they still don't know we are here. The tax office knows... But the services people still have no clue. Of course in Prince William the tax office keeps very good records of peoples whereabouts. So anyway we did not get this highly intellectual message from our local government officials. I consider this to be one of the remaining advantages of living at the end of a dead end road. While we are not quite at the end of the Earth.... You can indeed see it from here, and since you can't get anywhere else by coming down here, nobody does. Including the local Government.

Regards

scouser

Why wait for "declared" emergencies? I ALWAYS carry at home.

yeah, never know when there might be an unexpected knock at the door. Yesterday evening my wife had taken Logan out and I was sat home watching TV when there was a knock at our door. I wasn't expecting anyone so I ignored it for a couple of minutes while I put my shoes on and then heard someone knocking on my upstairs neighbor's door. That's when I opened my door to see who was there while resting my right hand on the XDM I was wearing.

It turned out to be someone campaigning for Tim Kaine who, when receiving no answer had proceeded to drop campaign literature on my doorstep, this despite the fact that I have a mailslot in my front door. I asked him if he was responsible for littering my doorstep and he said he wasn't littering. I corrected him stating that now one of us has to pick up what he dropped and that it wasn't going to be me.

He really didn't like it when I informed him that we have a sign at the entrance to our complex stating that no solicting is permitted on our premises and that if he continued to do so he would be liable to be charged with trespassing in addition to the littering charge he could be facing if he didn't pick up every piece of paper he'd dropped on all my neighbor's doorsteps on his way back to the main street.

Despite the kick that some here might get because it was one of Kaine's supporters I had to deal with (and yes I don't like Kaine either), it was the disrespectful way he couldn't be bothered to put the literature in the mailslot and preferred to just drop it on the floor that really pissed me off.

twoskinsonemanns

Why wait for "declared" emergencies? I ALWAYS carry at home.

+1 Every single day.
It's Murphy's law. The one day you decide to leave it in the safe (or wherever) is the day Zach the Zombie breaks your door down and decided to chomp your face.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
Did someone mention not carrying at home ...

Everyone needs to have something that falls into the category of "Don't leave home without it..." If I had an American Express card I would keep in my pocket all the time so it would be there when I need it.

I do not have an American Express card, but I do have a sidearm (a few actually). So that is my "don't leave home without it" item. I see no reason to treat a sidearm any differently than anything else I might need, so yes I carry everywhere, all the time. In the house, around the house, and off the property too. It would be very embarrassing to have to excuse yourself from a serious social event to retrieve a required piece of equipment from a drawer or closet.

So I am a +1 with those who carry at home.

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

My wife in her best sarcasm has said that I would wear my gun to be if I could holster it in my underwear. Which is really not at all a bad idea. So yeah, I open carry pretty much everywhere and its a dont lave home without it item.

wylde007

Speaking of "Not Enough Officers"

My wife was met yesterday as she was packing up some items for our move to the new house in Pungo with the scene of three VB squad cars, an unmarked patrol (detective, Sergeant?), a Suburban, an ambulance and a fire engine parked in front of our soon-to-be former home.

The event? Domestic violence.

In order to count the number of police cruisers I saw out on the 4th - "keeping the peace" - I would have to take off my shoes and borrow a hand from a friend.