• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Case of Emergency, Open Carry at Home

gearup

yeah, never know when there might be an unexpected knock at the door. Yesterday evening my wife had taken Logan out and I was sat home watching TV when there was a knock at our door. I wasn't expecting anyone so I ignored it for a couple of minutes while I put my shoes on and then heard someone knocking on my upstairs neighbor's door. That's when I opened my door to see who was there while resting my right hand on the XDM I was wearing.

It turned out to be someone campaigning for Tim Kaine who, when receiving no answer had proceeded to drop campaign literature on my doorstep, this despite the fact that I have a mailslot in my front door. I asked him if he was responsible for littering my doorstep and he said he wasn't littering. I corrected him stating that now one of us has to pick up what he dropped and that it wasn't going to be me.

He really didn't like it when I informed him that we have a sign at the entrance to our complex stating that no solicting is permitted on our premises and that if he continued to do so he would be liable to be charged with trespassing in addition to the littering charge he could be facing if he didn't pick up every piece of paper he'd dropped on all my neighbor's doorsteps on his way back to the main street.

Despite the kick that some here might get because it was one of Kaine's supporters I had to deal with (and yes I don't like Kaine either), it was the disrespectful way he couldn't be bothered to put the literature in the mailslot and preferred to just drop it on the floor that really pissed me off.

It is a federal offense to place non-certified (no US postage) material in a container marked "US Mail" or to access such a container if you are not the owner or a US Mail carrier. So if the slot is marked "US Mail" that explaines why they were not using it.

Last edited:

scouser

It is a federal offense to place non-certified (no US postage) material in a container marked "US Mail" or to access such a container if you are not the owner or a US Mail carrier. So if the slot is marked "US Mail" that explaines why they were not using it.

it's not a container, it's a slot in the door with a hinged cover, that someone on the outside can lift out of the way so they can push items the thickness of an envelope through into my home where they just fall onto the floor for me to pick up later. It is not marked 'US Mail', never has been, never will be .. so your point is moot, but thanks for your concern.

If I catch someone littering my doorstep, they will be required to pick it up and take it with them, I don't care who they are or why they did it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are standards for both mailboxes and mail slots. Mailboxes are treated very much like post office property even though you must buy and maintain them. The standards for mail slots is not so tightly controlled - only specifying size and location + flapper door specs.

I have never seen any federal offense for mail slots which have been alluded to above. Cite?
http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view()=c[c_usps0916]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded#Attaching

gearup

it's not a container, it's a slot in the door with a hinged cover, that someone on the outside can lift out of the way so they can push items the thickness of an envelope through into my home where they just fall onto the floor for me to pick up later. It is not marked 'US Mail', never has been, never will be .. so your point is moot, but thanks for your concern.

If I catch someone littering my doorstep, they will be required to pick it up and take it with them, I don't care who they are or why they did it.

Just making an observation and was not trying to offend. I was thinking the "slot" was in an official mail box. I do agree that it would make me mad if someone just threw a bunch of flyers on my porch.

What also gets me are the political volunteers that post signs in your yard without asking. That chaffes my rear end.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
You need more space

You guys need to move further out. Most solisitors look at our place from the road and see nothing but trees. About half way down the driveway they start having second thoughts as to where it might be leading them and they usually turn back. The few that do get to the house (mostly Mormon or Baptist missionaries) get very concerned when they see an armed person wandering about the place, and so when asked politely they beat a hasty retreat.

I did have one guy (amway I think) who saw my sidearm, left and then called the police to report a MWAG. Forty five minutes later when the cop arrived he stayed just long enough to apologize for bothering me. It seems that wandering about your own property minding your own business while armed is perfectly legal in Virginia, but if someone reports you for doing so, the police still have to come check it out. Go figure.

Anyway, since we moved out of the city we get a lot less bother from solicitors.

Regards

wylde007

but if someone reports you for doing so, the police still have to come check it out.
When a "concerned citizen" reports that they saw something which made them uncomfortable, the police are policy-bound to investigate. I have been stopped twice while out walking my dog by one of Virginia Beach's finest.

Both times I was returning from the neighborhood Wawa with coffee and the extent of communication from the officer has been along the lines of "Oh, I see. Have a nice day, sir."

Betty_Rose_Brown

and the dog...

When a "concerned citizen" reports that they saw something which made them uncomfortable, the police are policy-bound to investigate. I have been stopped twice while out walking my dog by one of Virginia Beach's finest.

Well, walking the dog is *another* reason to carry. In my old neighborhood, we lived in proximity to a not-so-nice neighborhood and there were the occasional pit bulls running around, scaring the tar out of people. One day, I heard my elderly neighbor screaming for help, ran outside and saw a stray dog running on down the street. It had been terrorizing my neighbor as she tried to walk her two little dogs. She'd found a stick and had beaten the thing adequately that it gave up and ran off - just as I came out my front door.

Plus, last fall, someone in my new neighborhood (fewer people, more wildlife) shot and killed a rabid fox that had been running around and wreaking havoc. Animal control had been trying to catch the thing for several weeks, but our neighborhood's own Atticus Finch (wielding a .22 rifle) did the job in short order.

wylde007

Well, walking the dog is *another* reason to carry.
I was confronted/attacked by loose (not necessarily stray) dogs multiple times in my youth.
Plus, last fall, someone in my new neighborhood (fewer people, more wildlife) shot and killed a rabid fox that had been running around and wreaking havoc.
Another friend of mine out in Pungo experienced somewhat the same.

So, yeah.

ElevenBravo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvXmHphQQo

Short story of the video, in case you dont want to watch it (Cliff Note):

1) NOAA SAME went off, severe storm approaching

2) 10 min prior to storm arrival, power fails WTF?

3) Loss of power: Possible emergency situation: Glock 19 secured to hip, flashlight in hand.

4) Storm hits. WTF! I didnt think it was going to be THIS BAD!

5) I establish communications via ham radio on the W4CA repeater. No, its not
isolated... POWER IS OUT FOR HUNDREDS OF MILES! Major property and tree
damage reported by all .

6) I place my VX-170 on the kitchen table, undo the vault and remove:
*1) Rossi youth 20ga shotgun, insure it is loaded, placed on safe, issued to wife
*2) Remove AR, insure round in chamber, weapon on safe, full 30 rnd mag is
properly seated.
*3) Insure additional 20 ga shells are centrally located, place an additional 30
rnd mag in back pocket. Place 2 more 30 rnd mags beside box of 20 ga shells.
(If daughter were home at the time, she would have been issued her 22lr
single action revolver, which she is a dead shot with.

7) Proceed to fire up genset and plug up lights & fridge. Plug up outside
security lighting. Plug up fan, its 100 deg f.

8) Yada Yada Yada, 24 hours later we were lucky to get power restored,
but maintained security until wide spread state of emergency has
passed.

Yes, as soon as the emergency is detected, arm up. Some folks get
a little "weird" when they know government resources are spread thin
(LEA, Fire, Rescue), and some weirdos use this as an opportunity to
become a predator.

GL to all...
Andrew

MSC 45ACP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvXmHphQQo

Short story of the video, in case you dont want to watch it (Cliff Note):

1) NOAA SAME went off, severe storm approaching

2) 10 min prior to storm arrival, power fails WTF?

3) Loss of power: Possible emergency situation: Glock 19 secured to hip, flashlight in hand.

4) Storm hits. WTF! I didnt think it was going to be THIS BAD!

5) I establish communications via ham radio on the W4CA repeater. No, its not
isolated... POWER IS OUT FOR HUNDREDS OF MILES! Major property and tree
damage reported by all .

6) I place my VX-170 on the kitchen table, undo the vault and remove:
*1) Rossi youth 20ga shotgun, insure it is loaded, placed on safe, issued to wife
*2) Remove AR, insure round in chamber, weapon on safe, full 30 rnd mag is
properly seated.
*3) Insure additional 20 ga shells are centrally located, place an additional 30
rnd mag in back pocket. Place 2 more 30 rnd mags beside box of 20 ga shells.
(If daughter were home at the time, she would have been issued her 22lr
single action revolver, which she is a dead shot with.

7) Proceed to fire up genset and plug up lights & fridge. Plug up outside
security lighting. Plug up fan, its 100 deg f.

8) Yada Yada Yada, 24 hours later we were lucky to get power restored,
but maintained security until wide spread state of emergency has
passed.

Yes, as soon as the emergency is detected, arm up. Some folks get
a little "weird" when they know government resources are spread thin
(LEA, Fire, Rescue), and some weirdos use this as an opportunity to
become a predator.

GL to all...
Andrew

Good ideas, Andrew.
Try using "Ensure" rather than "Insure" unless you're talking about insurance.

You may want to ensure all of your stuff has been insured.... ;-)

Sorry I'm a Grammar and spelling Nazi. Misspelled and mis-used words just bother me.

ElevenBravo

Okay, thanks for the grammar tips, I know how to speak but sometimes choose the incorrect written word.

I hope you found the story entertaining.

Andrew