• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Case of Emergency, Open Carry at Home

Betty_Rose_Brown

After last nights 80mph derecho we awoke to our phone service and tv down.
A text message from PW County informs us that all 911 service is also down.

"If you have an emergency, go to your local police or fire station for assistance."

Really?

Okay, I told my husband this story (read him the post) and he was incredulous. Then again, he works in a law-enforcement related field.

Any idea how long this lasted - that your 911 service was down?

'Cause this makes the Zombie Apocalypse seem a lot closer than I first thought...

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
Betty, if I remember correctly I believe 911 was down in my county for 2.5 to three days. There were a few neighboring counties here in NoVa also affected, some possibly longer. The regional carrier for the service, Verizon, ended up having to bear its shame to local governments as you would expect. After everyone was back online I learned that there were no deaths in the area as a result, but a woman having a heart attack was unable to get through, and lived despite the fact. I dont have data on fires, looting, mayhem, but I suspect a google-fu novice would be able to easily come across that.

I got a broadcast text message from the county (subscribed to emergency messages) in a brief moment of cell connectivity. It came and went sporadically. Power was out for hours to a full week or more for some folks, tv/internet/landline phone (especially bundled services) had shorter disruption but without power didnt matter. The power/tv/internet disruptions also affected Maryland and DC. Most folks I know avoided going to work in DC for almost a week or until we could get outage info, expecting office buildings to be sweltering with no AC. Some of our other NoVA members can relate how long their own power/communications/gov't babysitting services were disrupted as well.

Having experienced pieces of the pentagon raining down outside my office window, and remembering the gridlock turning an hour commute into a 6 hour marathon trying to exit the city, I am prepared both at home and at work. My work plan includes a backpack containing enough survival necessities to hoof it out of the city for a two or three day walk, assuming the worst breakdown possible of mass catastrophe and complete disruption of vehicular traffic. We live with, work with, and pass by the zombies on the street everyday. We, and they, just dont know it yet. And I personally have never been fond of brainz.

Im not even sure how widespread that storm was. Were you affected in any way down there?

Betty_Rose_Brown

Im not even sure how widespread that storm was. Were you affected in any way down there?

Here in Norfolk, we had strong gusts (50 mph) and heavy rain, but power outages were few and far between.

Thanks for the thorough description of service disruption there. That's *very* interesting. In September (maybe August) last year, we had an earthquake, a very rare event for Hampton Roads. First thing I did was pick up my cell phone and call my husband in downtown Norfolk. To my shock, the cell phones were DOWN. No service was available.

That was an eye-opening moment.

That also meant that I had no way to call 911, or my daughter or anyone else for that matter.

I recently got my Ham Radio operator's license (and a radio) because if something *really* ugly happens, our cell phones will not be reliable.

john-galt

Maine Expat

Good ideas, Andrew.
Try using "Ensure" rather than "Insure" unless you're talking about insurance.

You may want to ensure all of your stuff has been insured.... ;-)

Sorry I'm a Grammar and spelling Nazi. Misspelled and mis-used words just bother me.

:lol: x2

Also;
then/than
would of/would've for would HAVE
their/they're for they ARE

Just pokin fun here. Its all good and you still got the message across. And I catch myself making the same mistakes on occasion as is evidenced by multiple edits. :eek:

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran

thanks john for reiterating that point. there are a lot of newer members here who have never heard that information before, and now they will know.

my point in repeating the text message quote in the OP was how unrealistic that is.
"excuse me mr. home invader sir. i need a time out. i will be back shortly"
"oh, my kitchen is on fire! now where did i put those keys?"

Betty_Rose_Brown

And that seems to have been proven in Aurora.

I'm reading (in multiple accounts) that the shooter was arrested in the PARKING LOT?

And I'm reading that the cops didn't enter the theater?

I hope I'm not reading this correctly, because the implications are mind-boggling.

va_tazdad

No guns in Aurora

And that seems to have been proven in Aurora.

I'm reading (in multiple accounts) that the shooter was arrested in the PARKING LOT?

And I'm reading that the cops didn't enter the theater?

I hope I'm not reading this correctly, because the implications are mind-boggling.

Not only that, but the city allows neither open carry NOR concealed carry. They have effectively rendered the citizens defenseless!

markand

Couple of days into the event, we were returning home with fuel for the generator when we saw a pickup with several guys driving slowly around the neighborhood. We speculate they were listening for the sound of generators and looking to see which might be accessible for a quick grab. As soon as they realized we were paying attention to them, they departed at high speed. One should NEVER be unarmed during an event like the recent storm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Colorado has NO PREEMPTION statute. Time for Coloradans to get on the ball.

Preemption

No local governing entity shall prohibit travel with a weapon for hunting or lawful protection of a person or property.

§ 29-11.7-101. Legislative declaration
(2) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that:
(a) The regulation of firearms is a matter of statewide concern;
(b) It is necessary to provide statewide laws concerning the possession and ownership of a firearm to ensure that law-abiding persons are not unfairly placed in the position of unknowingly committing crimes involving firearms.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/colorado.aspx

Neplusultra

Preemption

No local governing entity shall prohibit travel with a weapon for hunting or lawful protection of a person or property.

§ 29-11.7-101. Legislative declaration
(2) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that:
(b) It is necessary to provide statewide laws concerning the possession and ownership of a firearm to ensure that law-abiding persons are not unfairly placed in the position of unknowingly committing crimes involving firearms.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/colorado.aspx

The only exception to this law is the City of Denver. I forget the legal reasons they were able to win this but they are unique in the state, no other town or locality can ban guns. Denver had to sue to ban guns and it went to the CO Supreme Court where they won.....

At least that's what I've read in the news and you know about that.

LoneEchoWolf

Colorado has NO PREEMPTION statute. Time for Coloradans to get on the ball.

WOW, thats completely wrong and I'm glad the guy under me went ahead and corrected the subject, Colorado does in fact have a preemption, and Denver is in fact the only city that has a ban in place because they took it to the courts and won. http://www.rmgo.org/2004-news its just down the page a bit. but then Gray Peterson took the manager of Denver to court on the subject of the ban which the decision again was in Denver's favor, http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77035-Peterson-v-LaCabe-(Denver-CO)-MSJ-Filed thread there, and there is links to the documents within the thread. So he entered it into the 10th circuit court of appeals thread here for hopefully updates soon! http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rtinez-(10th-Circuit)-Official-Appeals-Thread, so we are indeed fighting Denver over the legality of there ban, still and forever until they realize they have to follow our constitution and preemption just as every city in Colorado has to. heres our preemption.

CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.

A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

(editorial note: The City and County of Denver are exempted from Preemption at this time. Current court cases now pending in the 10th and 7th district courts may change their status in the near term.)

And:

29-11.7-101. Legislative declaration.

(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:
(b) Section 13 of article II of the state constitution protects the fundamental right of a person to keep and bear arms and implements section 3 of article II of the state constitution;
(d) There exists a widespread inconsistency among jurisdictions within the state with regard to firearms regulations;

(e) This inconsistency among local government laws regulating lawful firearm possession and ownership has extraterritorial impact on state citizens and the general public by subjecting them to criminal and civil penalties in some jurisdictions for conduct wholly lawful in other jurisdictions;

(f) Inconsistency among local governments of laws regulating the possession and ownership of firearms results in persons being treated differently under the law solely on the basis of where they reside, and a person's residence in a particular county or city or city and county is not a rational classification when it is the basis for denial of equal treatment under the law;

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
City AND county of Denver

I do not know what effect consolidation of city/county governments has on this, but it does raise certain questions. If there is land that is county, but not city and what impact does that have on this law/exception there? And of course vice-versa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Colorado

Missed the post above this which would seem to answer my question.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just to take this off topic a little, TFred I think, mentioned that we needed to become very aware of The provisions in Colorado's preemption law to keep the same rom happening here.

I'll repeat a very unpopular opinion of mine. Virginia has very few if any real Pro gun legislators. Some are just less anti than others.

Sadly, the tragedy is already being discussed quietly, to be used as a vehicle for more restrictive gun laws. Again sadly, CHP exemptions have been suggested by at least one member of the GA to combat these proposals.

We will also likely see gun shows dragged in even though they had no role in the shooting and I'm sure we'll see at least one GIVE THE BACKGROUND CHECK to the Feds bill.

Remember what Pogo said!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Wehavemet01.jpg

[/FONT]

OC for ME

Just to take this off topic a little, TFred I think, mentioned that we needed to become very aware of The provisions in Colorado's preemption law to keep the same rom happening here.

I'll repeat a very unpopular opinion of mine. Virginia has very few if any real Pro gun legislators. Some are just less anti than others.

Sadly, the tragedy is already being discussed quietly, to be used as a vehicle for more restrictive gun laws. Again sadly, CHP exemptions have been suggested by at least one member of the GA to combat these proposals.

We will also likely see gun shows dragged in even though they had no role in the shooting and I'm sure we'll see at least one GIVE THE BACKGROUND CHECK to the Feds bill.

Remember what Pogo said!
....but but but, politician 'X' has a AQ rating!! he must be pro 2A.

wylde007

If Colorado Has Preemption

Then why is Aurora able to circumvent it?

Because even though unenforceable, a lot of people probably think the regulations are in force. Maybe they're not as vigilant as in Virginia.

Sorry for being obtuse, but unlike in Virginia, from what I have heard and read (both here and on other forums), people seem to think localities can prohibit carry. I hardly think that's my fault, but apologies for not citing the letter of the law. Mea Culpa.