• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got stoped by a patron on my way out of "Dunkin Donuts" near lake monticello

raven81686

Got stoped by a patron on my way out of "Dunkin Donuts" near lake monticello

Hey all just wanted to say after geting my order wrong at Dunkin Donuts had to comeback in to get it fixed not a big deal; they were very apologetic even gave me a 1/2 dozen donuts, which my wife (8.5 months pregnant) very happy! On my way back out a fellow patron of the resturant stoped me (very polietly) to ask about me open carrying. We talked for about 5 minutes he was very nice guy and new to virginia we even exchanged names his name was Pete. I tryed to take this oppounity to portray us OC'ers as polite normal people. This in a nutshell is how or conversation went. I just wanted to get some input see how I did as this was really the first time someone has really asked me about me carrying.

Pete- "Excuse me sir, I see you're carry a firearm; are you law enforcement?"

ME (Jordon)- "No sir, It's legal to Open carry a handgun in Virgina as long as your over 18 and not a felon or convicted of certain misdemeanor's"

Pete- "Oh... Well I know in NC people can get CHP's and certian security people carry openly"

Me- "Yes Sir you can get a CHP here in VA also, its very easy as long as your not a criminal. Ive had mine since I turned 21, I carry openly as well as concealed just depends on the day (with a smile); just on days like today when its so hot (100+) I choose not to conceal, and plus it is leagal soo why not (with a smile)."

Pete- "Oh I was curious because I havent really seen any one carrying since I've been here. Ive gone throught some hangun training for security jobs before. I thought about getting my CHP once but a friend of mine told me not to because, you get hastled by Cops when you get pulled over; and "BIG BROTHER" will know you have guns. If the govt changes you would be the first to get your guns taken away."

Me- "I've never been hastled by any police officers; and genenerally bad guys dont go threw the process to LEGALLY conceal a weapon or carry it openly on their side for everyone to see. And if you've ever bought a gun new that paper work you filled out in the store goes to the ATF / State police, so "big brother" already knows you own Firearms (with a smile). Plus you are surfing the web on a public wifi network, so they're probably listening to us right now!?!?!.
(mean while the whole time I am trying to inch my way towards the door to leave cuz there is a hungry pregnant woman waiting at home)

Pete- "Well I Guess your right hahaha, what kind of gun is that?"

Me- "It's a XD subcompact .40"

Pete- " Is that like a glock? Can you carry one in the chamber or is that against the law? I see you also wearing an Army shirt are you in the military?"

Me- "It's similar to a glock but has some different features. Its modeled after a 1911. I wouldnt want to give you any legal advice about that the best thing to do is contact your local police department and ask them or do some online research. you can also go to "opencarry.org" and there is alot of usefull infomation about firearm laws there. and yes I am in the Army I'm leaving for BCT in less than 2 weeks. But it was nice talking to you Pete but I really need to go my wife is waiting on me and shes pregnant and hungry; have a good day"

Pete- "it was nice talkin to you too, and yeah you have got to keep her happy"

He went on to thank me for my service and we shook hands. I walked out and went about my business just wondering how yall thought I handeled the situation as it was the first time someone has asked me about carrying. Also I saw his computer screen as i held the door for the lady walking in and he was going to this site.

PS Pete if you become a member here and read this it was nice talking to you man! hope I nuged you in the right direction.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Hey all just wanted to say after geting my order wrong at Dunkin Donuts had to comeback in to get it fixed not a big deal; they were very apologetic even gave me a 1/2 dozen donuts, which my wife (8.5 months pregnant) very happy! On my way back out a fellow patron of the resturant stoped me (very polietly) to ask about me open carrying. We talked for about 5 minutes he was very nice guy and new to virginia we even exchanged names his name was Pete. I tryed to take this oppounity to portray us OC'ers as polite normal people. This in a nutshell is how or conversation went. I just wanted to get some input see how I did as this was really the first time someone has really asked me about me carrying.

ME (Jordon)- "No sir, It's legal to Open carry a handgun in Virgina as long as your over 18 and not a felon or convicted of certain misdemeanor's"

Pete- "Oh... Well I know in NC people can get CHP's and certian security people carry openly"

Me- "Yes Sir you can get a CHP here in VA also, its very easy as long as your not a criminal. Ive had mine since I turned 21, I carry openly as well as concealed just depends on the day (with a smile); just on days like today when its so hot (100+) I choose not to conceal, and plus it is leagal soo why not (with a smile)."

Pete- "Oh I was curious because I havent really seen any one carrying since I've been here. Ive gone throught some hangun training for security jobs before. I thought about getting my CHP once but a friend of mine told me not to because, you get hastled by Cops when you get pulled over; and "BIG BROTHER" will know you have guns. If the govt changes you would be the first to get your guns taken away."

Me- "I've never been hastled by any police officers; and genenerally bad guys dont go threw the process to LEGALLY conceal a weapon or carry it openly on their side for everyone to see. And if you've ever bought a gun new that paper work you filled out in the store goes to the ATF / State police, so "big brother" already knows you own Firearms (with a smile). Plus you are surfing the web on a public wifi network, so they're probably listening to us right now!?!?!.
(mean while the whole time I am trying to inch my way towards the door to leave cuz there is a hungry pregnant woman waiting at home)

Pete- "Well I Guess your right hahaha, what kind of gun is that?"

Pete- " Is that like a glock? Can you carry one in the chamber or is that against the law? I see you also wearing an Army shirt are you in the military?"

Me- "It's similar to a glock but has some different features. Its modeled after a 1911. I wouldnt want to give you any legal advice about that the best thing to do is contact your local police department and ask them or do some online research. you can also go to "opencarry.org" and there is alot of usefull infomation about firearm laws there. and yes I am in the Army I'm leaving for BCT in less than 2 weeks. But it was nice talking to you Pete but I really need to go my wife is waiting on me and shes pregnant and hungry; have a good day"

Pete- "it was nice talkin to you too, and yeah you have got to keep her happy"

He went on to thank me for my service and we shook hands. I walked out and went about my business just wondering how yall thought I handeled the situation as it was the first time someone has asked me about carrying. Also I saw his computer screen as i held the door for the lady walking in and he was going to this site.

PS Pete if you become a member here and read this it was nice talking to you man! hope I nuged you in the right direction.

I think you did pretty good except " contact your local police department and ask them" Never ask the police about the law, if a police officer makes a a police officer is not expected to know all the laws, and gun laws is not an area they study throughly.

Even here you will get differopinionsions on what the law means. That's one reason when someone states a point of law here a cite to the section of the law referencedpreferredered so all can read it them selfself.

I also would like to thank you for your service. :)

Last edited:

raven81686

Yeah i didnt want to tell him to just google it lol. I kinda felt spot lighted in a store full of people and being asked about my gun I didnt want to seem like an AZZ. Stragely after carrying eveyday for the past few years I never once had someone other than a fellow carrier talk about it. I was kinda at a loss for words for once in my life.

Last edited:

Dreamer

The next time you see "Pete" tell him that the Open Carry law in NC is nearly identical to that in VA. Not just "certain security people" are allowed to OC--but ANY law-abiding citizen over the age of 18 who is not "otherwise prohibited" from owning a firearm may OC.

I lived in NC for 3+ years, and OCed almost daily, and there are some VERY active OCers in NC.

I've been to OC dinners in NC with DOZENS of Ocers, and a few BIG public events with a lot more.

I have never once been treated poorly by an LEO, while OC or CC. I've been carrying during "sobriety checkpoints" and it was like "oh, OK". And I was in an accident (some kid in a truck backed into my PARKED car with a pickup truck in front of 4 Greenville PD officers) while OCing my Glock, and it was no big deal at all.

OC in NC is VERY legal, and more common that some believe...

Last edited:

Sheriff

99.9% of the local population assumes anybody wearing a gun in plain view is law enforcement.

And they continue to assume this unless they get into a conversation about it, which 99.8% never engage in.

(I guess the debate on where I get my statistics from will start now. Before "they" jump in with both feet, it is my experience and observation speaking again. :lol: )

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
99.9% of the local population assumes anybody wearing a gun in plain view is law enforcement.

And they continue to assume this unless they get into a conversation about it, which 99.8% never engage in.

(I guess the debate on where I get my statistics from will start now. Before "they" jump in with both feet, it is my experience and observation speaking again. :lol: )

That explains the reaching deep into a dark, dank place for your references. :p

richarcm

Me- "It's similar to a glock but has some different features. Its modeled after a 1911.

I like Springfield XDs. I've had an XD9 and an XD40. But I'm a 1911 guy. And I'm offended that one would suggest that the Springfield XD40 is more similar to a 1911 than a Glock.

Not really. But kinda.... :)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
raven81686
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sheriff
Yeah, I'm retarded.

So are mentally handicaped people alowed to carry a firearm??​
It doesn't do much good to put him on Ignore if people are Gonna quote him, but at least he finally said something I agree with!:lol:

Sheriff

It doesn't do much good to put him on Ignore if people are Gonna quote him, but at least he finally said something I agree with!:lol:

I'm quite sure you can get somebody to come up with a new and imaginary rule about not quoting the infamous Sheriff.

mwaterous

I like Springfield XDs. I've had an XD9 and an XD40. But I'm a 1911 guy. And I'm offended that one would suggest that the Springfield XD40 is more similar to a 1911 than a Glock.

Not really. But kinda.... :)

Both have backstrap safeties, steel slides and are available in .45 ACP. Seems pretty on par to me. :)

(I have an XD .40, and I'd take more offense to them being compared to those ugly Glocks! (just kidding glock owners) ;);) )

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Both have backstrap safeties, steel slides and are available in .45 ACP. Seems pretty on par to me. :)

(I have an XD .40, and I'd take more offense to them being compared to those ugly Glocks! (just kidding glock owners) ;);)
)

Welcome to OCDO mwaterous.

1911 purests prefer their .45 ACP delivering tool to be all steel - a classic that still works superbly well and has been, like a fine wine, improved with age. The weight to me is an advantage: reduces felt recoil, doesn't change but an unnoticeable smidgeon as the magazine is emptied and lets me know that my ol' friend is on my hip w/o doing the elbow tap.

Besides the hammer being back starts so many good conversations :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

1911 purests prefer their .45 ACP delivering tool to be all steel - a classic that still works superbly well and has been, like a fine wine, improved with age. The weight to me is an advantage: reduces felt recoil, doesn't change but an unnoticeable smidgeon as the magazine is emptied and lets me know that my ol' friend is on my hip w/o doing the elbow tap.

Absolutely!
A 1911 is the next best thing to a revolver:uhoh:

mwaterous

I realized that was my first post after I posted it... I read so many forums I guess I forgot which ones I'm actually active in. :)

I have a high level of respect for the 1911, so I hope that post came across for what it was; tongue in cheek. I have heard a lot of good about Colt finally coming full circle and bringing their own 1911 back up to spec for the first time in 20 years... I am also glad that the XD, XDm and XDs all took what lessons they have from the 1911, but I definitely wouldn't classify them as the same gun myself simply for those reasons.