• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing experience in Home Depot near Park Meadows

wmodavis

Wish I could get Mel to write my stories for me but ... Here goes.

Went into the closest HD to pick up a few things - sprinkler heads, wasp killer (he shot at me first OUCH!), ant killer etc.
Of course I had my handgun in the holster. A clerk helped me find the ant stuff I was looking for and another very helpful guy helped whth the sprinkler head. Even pointed out a money saving 2-pack of just what I wanted. No one seemed to even notice I was carrying.

But then... a somewhat more observant and perhaps more senior employee (not age) came up to me and asked "Do you have a license to carry?" Well I do have my CHP but instead of answering with a simple 'Yes' I calmly stated that Colorado does not require a license to open carry. His response was "I am asking you not to carry while in the store." I responded that I have been in here many times shopping while open carrying and this is the first time someone has said it was not permissible." I continued with "Does Home Depot have a written policy that he could show me that states the company policy cuz I certainly would not want to continue doing it if it is prohibited." He then had to head off to keep a forklift from being run over by customers. I said "I'll be around shopping for a while so I'd look him up before I left." I started to go off then turned around to him and said "By the way I do have a permit but that is for concealed carrying but is not required for open carrying in the state of Colorado." His response was "Ok that's all I wanted to know."

After another customer pointed out another 2-for-one superdeal on wasp shoot 'em dead stuff (first picked up an 18oz can for 3.97, then noticed same brand but in a fancy colored 20oz can with same chemistry for 2.97. Hmmm. Thats better, but the 2-for-one deal had two of the same 20oz cans bundled for 2.97. Pick your price. I'm cheap so took the two for 2.97) I checked out then got permission to go back in to customer service. As I was explaining to the CS clerk my OC question, the somewhat more observant and perhaps more senior employee emerged from the office and said he was just looking up the answer to my request and said that in fact it is OK to open carry in the HD as long as the gun is registered and you have a permit. I reiterated that Colorado does not require a license to openly carry handgun but that I do have a permit to carry concealed. He finally confirmed that is OK to openly carry in HD. I thanked him and proceeded on my way.

All-in-all a pleasant and hopefully somewhat educating encounter.

I then proceeded to Walmart and picked up some .22 Short ammo where no one seemed to notice or care. Of course behind my back women and children may have been running and screaming in horror but I didn't notice.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

I'm headed to HD in COS tomorrow to buy wood for a new reloading bench.. hope It goes well, I haven't OC'd @ HD in about a year..

--Rob

mahkagari

As I was explaining to the CS clerk my OC question, the somewhat more observant and perhaps more senior employee emerged from the office and said he was just looking up the answer to my request and said that in fact it is OK to open carry in the HD as long as the gun is registered and you have a permit. I reiterated that Colorado does not require a license to openly carry handgun but that I do have a permit to carry concealed. He finally confirmed that is OK to openly carry in HD.

Nor does CO require registration.
Of course behind my back women and children may have been running and screaming in horror but I didn't notice.

[Outofstatetrollflame]You idiot! Never let down your guard for situational awareness! Use your ears for your eyes! Head on a swivel! Constant vigilance! You should have known what people were doing in 360 degrees! This just proves you are a shameful representation of OCers everywhere! Do us all a favor and stay home if you're not going to carry properly![/Outofstatetrollflame]

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

Nor does CO require registration.

[Outofstatetrollflame]You idiot! Never let down your guard for situational awareness! Use your ears for your ears! Head on a swivel! Constant vigilance! This just proves you are a shameful representation of OCers everywhere! Do us all a favor and stay home if you're not going to carry properly![/Outofstatetrollflame]

HAHAHHAHHAH!!! BBBWWAAHHAHAHHAAHHAH!!!! omg.. ok.. control...

--Rob

CCinMaine

[Outofstatetrollflame]You idiot! Never let down your guard for situational awareness! Use your ears for your eyes! Head on a swivel! Constant vigilance! You should have known what people were doing in 360 degrees! This just proves you are a shameful representation of OCers everywhere! Do us all a favor and stay home if you're not going to carry properly![/Outofstatetrollflame]

[BradyCampaign]Just another dangerous irresponsible man carrying a gun...just the reason we need more gun laws.[BradyCampaign]

Haha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

M-Taliesin

Of course behind my back women and children may have been running and screaming in horror but I didn't notice.

Howdy Pard!
What, you got no book learnin'? I thought I trained you better than to be oblivious to what's behind you!!!

Okay, sarcasm mode off.
I just wanted to jump in because you might not know how some of us have a really twisted, warped and off-the-wall sense of humor.
Folks Like Mahkagari, for example. Or me for that matter. Or our friend from Maine who stopped by to interject a note of levity.

As for me, the only reason I am not in a psyche unit now is because they objected to my OCing my flashy new 1911.
They also were not terribly happy about my expensive hat either. Made all their other patients feel inferior by contrast!
Besides, I didn't much care for the chow either. Not to mention that my shiny new Jeep made their building look pretty tawdry!

Anyway, you get my drift. We ain't all normal around here, but then again, who wants to be????

I do want to compliment you on how you handled yourself, especially by asking the senior guy who confronted you to show their policy on OC.
That, my friend, was priceless. I bet it really put his underoos in a knot! Probably wearing his best pair of spiderman boxers too!

You done good, and I'm reasonably proud of your handling of the situation.

Meanwhile, you helped educate another putz!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

wmodavis

Well I've been known to sport a warped sense of humidor, or sometin like that, too.

Actually I have found this whole carry thing quite interesting, eye opening, educational and a bunch more. Mel made the 'get go' fun and most of the 'educational' part started right there and here.

I was figuring that once I got my CHP, which arrived 2.5 weeks after submitting application, that I would likely switch to that mode but find OCing much more mind bending for me and experiences like this one at HD convinces me of the merit of passing on some of what I have learned, a whole whopping lot of it right here on OCDO from the likes of you humorless bunch of Stetson wearin', 1911 packing, 360 deg head swivelin', cyotes. Wish I could claim any originality for my way of handling this and similar situations but most comes from right here. That is why IMO it is a good thing to share our experiences. We can pick and choose what responses fit our own personalities and if need be change to refine our approach.

One thing I won't stoop to though is wearing an expensive hat. Actually makes me wonder what he's hidin' under there.

P.S. Question for you Mel - (if you're still talking to me) - Are there any situations that do prompt you to CC? As I'm sorting it out in my mind I have a couple where I will do that but really interested in your reasons for doing so if in fact you do.

And Mahkagari, my 360 is in its infancy stage. Have to guard against snakey eyes and hands at a quick draw position, but my poor hearing and and super fast head rotation blurs some of the details. I'm learnin'. Also I did leave out my comment to the HD guy re gun registration. I told him that my handgun was not registered and that it was not required by law. He did seem surprised at that.

Well, I'm havin' way too much fun for an old guy.
Bill

widowman10

hey rob! (we met briefly at the COS meet-and-greet)

i've found the COS HD's to be ok with OC. haven't had a problem yet!

Bellum_Intus

hey rob! (we met briefly at the COS meet-and-greet)

i've found the COS HD's to be ok with OC. haven't had a problem yet!

Good deal! I was going to head there yesterday but got sick.. (ugh) .. perhaps tomorrow, If I can figure out how to put 15 2x4 studs in my car >.< ..

--Rob

widowman10

Good deal! I was going to head there yesterday but got sick.. (ugh) .. perhaps tomorrow, If I can figure out how to put 15 2x4 studs in my car >.< ..

--Rob

just gotta put em in sideways! roll down both back windows and feed them through. the portions that stick out will act as mini-wings, thus increasing the aerodynamics of your car.

:uhoh:

almost 7:00 can you tell...