• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let permit expire...I'm an idiot... Question...

69johnny

Ok, as the subject line said, I let my permit expire. Issued here in Tennessee just to make
sure everyone understands. Lady said it was ok as long as it doesn't go beyond 6 months.
Procedure for reissue is the same as if I had applied for renewal and it hadn't expired.
OK fine. That was a load off my mine. Now, for all the folks out there that had to renew,
what kind of turn-around time did you see? 2 weeks before it was in your hand? 2 months??
Just wanted to know approx' what I could expect.

Thank you,

Johnny

Fallguy

There is one difference between applying for renewal before it expires or applying afterwards. If you apply before it expires you can still carry (even if you don't get your new HCP till after the expiration date) with your HCP and the receipt for renewal. If you don't apply until after it expires you can't carry until the new HCP arrives.

That all said, it seems about 4 weeks or so, sometimes less is what most people have reported on getting their HCP.

WalkingWolf

I let my permit expire years ago. One is not needed to OC and I only OC. The only reason I got it was to buy long guns without waiting on the not so instant, insta check. I am not buying anymore long guns so I didn't need it anymore, and if I do I only need a PP for that. But your laws are probably different.

SovereignAxe

I let my permit expire years ago. One is not needed to OC and I only OC. The only reason I got it was to buy long guns without waiting on the not so instant, insta check. I am not buying anymore long guns so I didn't need it anymore, and if I do I only need a PP for that. But your laws are probably different.

totally different. we need our permit to CC and to OC.

pfries

My neighbor just did his renewal post expiration and it was just over three weeks (first week of June for app).
Hello to fallguy and I am getting pleasure out of educating Bristol LEO's on AG opinion 05-154....

unreconstructed1

I'm glad I read this thread. I lost my renew by mail paperwork, and seem to be having a hard time getting the time off to get my HCP renewed, and was worried about the turnaround time myself. good to know that I can still carry with my permit and proof of renewal.

Oh Shoot

My renewal is at over 3 months now. Will have to carry the letter if it doesn't come in next two weeks.

- OS

lilmule

uh

Dunno about renewal,friend of mine took the safety course he had his in 30 days,then I took it 22 days later had it.
Suggest you call,or look in the lost letter dept at us mail.:) 30 days is supposed to be the norm.
Some things mess or slow it up lucky me refinaced my home just prior found out another with same name several states away was wanted for child support and another ss was attached to my name,so all was hunky dory when the fbi and tbi all checked.Oddly only 2000 people with same last name and not many with both names,so my refinance brought some things to my att and were taken care of.Incredible but 9 out of ten ss numbers of his matched mine.Also same middle name,just 600 miles away.
Open carry is covered by your cc license here its a license to carry a gun open or concealed,just not worth the att one would get,walking around with a 45 on your hip.I use the truck to carry the howitzers.

Last edited:

Fallguy

Dunno about renewal,friend of mine took the safety course he had his in 30 days,then I took it 22 days later had it.
Suggest you call,or look in the lost letter dept at us mail.:) 30 days is supposed to be the norm.
Some things mess or slow it up lucky me refinaced my home just prior found out another with same name several states away was wanted for child support and another ss was attached to my name,so all was huncky dory when the fbi and tbi all checked.

On a new permit the state has 90 days to issue or deny the permit. There is no time limit on renewals. Because of this renewals sometimes take longer.

But I definetly would suggest calling after this amount of time.

Oh Shoot

On a new permit the state has 90 days to issue or deny the permit. There is no time limit on renewals. Because of this renewals sometimes take longer.

But I definetly would suggest calling after this amount of time.

I talked to Lisa Knight personally at gun show here in April or May. She was very personable, but flat out said, they would NOT issue a new permit until the background checks were complete, period.

It's not like there's any kind of penalty if they go over the 90 days.

Btw, I did indeed finally call, gal couldn't see why it hadn't been issued yet, said she'd have to get someone else to check into it and call me back.

- OS

Fallguy

I talked to Lisa Knight personally at gun show here in April or May. She was very personable, but flat out said, they would NOT issue a new permit until the background checks were complete, period.

It's not like there's any kind of penalty if they go over the 90 days.

Btw, I did indeed finally call, gal couldn't see why it hadn't been issued yet, said she'd have to get someone else to check into it and call me back.

- OS

Yeah, I have never spoke with Ms Knight myself, but everyone that has said she was pleasant to deal with. You're right...even though the law requires them to issue the permit (assuming they would do so then revoke it if something came back) in 90 days, there is no consequences if they don't

Hope they can find out what the hold up is and get it to you soon. Just make sure you keep up with your renewal recipet... :)

bobkk

Opt-Out Members
THP Lost my paper work

About five or six years ago I went to the THP office and renewed mine. Kept waiting for it after a few months I called them. They said my permit had expired. Told them I had my renewal copy. Went back and they took me in ahead of every one else and faxed my copy to Nashville. Lady said that was the first one to get lost. Save your receipt.