• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rite Aid Prohibits Open Carry in Bellevue, WA..?

Lowpriceguns.com

Tonight I stopped off at the Rite Aid at Factoria Mall in Bellevue, WA.
I was open carrying my FNP45 on my belt. At the checkout, I was approached by the store manager 'Dan', who asked me if I was law enforcement.
I responded, 'no, I own a gunstore in Bellevue called Lowpriceguns.com'.
He then said, 'we don't allow guns in our stores'.
I then asked, 'is this your decision as a manager, or a corporate policy?'
He responded, 'yes, it's a corporate policy.'
I then asked, 'is this posted anywhere?'
He responded, 'no, because we don't post anything that may give the impression that it's an unsafe environment. It makes people uncomfortable.'
I then asked, 'have you had an issue with people feeling uncomfortable about open carry?'
He responded, 'no, not here, but there was an issue at the Safeway next door where someone felt uncomfortable and complained about it.'
I responded, 'I'll post a sign up in my store informing customers that Rite Aid doesn't allow 'guns' inside their stores as company policy.'
He responded, 'well, next time let's just pretend you are law enforcement.... you look the part.'
(I would say I do look the part. I'm 41, clean cut, 6'2", and have an athletic build. I was wearing a fitted black t-shirt, jeans, and black Oakley combat boots. The gun is black and was in a black leather belt holster on my right side.)

He made it clear that this was 'company policy' and not an individual management decision, stating that he personally didn't have an issue with open carry.

Has anyone else had an incident at any other Rite Aid? I did a web search and didn't come up with anything.

Jason - Owner www.Lowpriceguns.com

wmodavis

I haven't had an opportunity to go into Rite Aid here in CO. I'll have to give it a try. I likely do not have the LEO look. But we'll see what happens.

tai4de2

Next time I'm out for dinner at Novilho's or Goldberg's I'll make a point of stopping in that RiteAid and telling them why I won't be shopping there any more.

hermannr

Tonight I stopped off at the Rite Aid at Factoria Mall in Bellevue, WA.
I was open carrying my FNP45 on my belt. At the checkout, I was approached by the store manager 'Dan', who asked me if I was law enforcement.
I responded, 'no, I own a gunstore in Bellevue called Lowpriceguns.com'.
He then said, 'we don't allow guns in our stores'.
I then asked, 'is this your decision as a manager, or a corporate policy?'
He responded, 'yes, it's a corporate policy.'
I then asked, 'is this posted anywhere?'
He responded, 'no, because we don't post anything that may give the impression that it's an unsafe environment. It makes people uncomfortable.'
I then asked, 'have you had an issue with people feeling uncomfortable about open carry?'
He responded, 'no, not here, but there was an issue at the Safeway next door where someone felt uncomfortable and complained about it.'
I responded, 'I'll post a sign up in my store informing customers that Rite Aid doesn't allow 'guns' inside their stores as company policy.'
He responded, 'well, next time let's just pretend you are law enforcement.... you look the part.'
(I would say I do look the part. I'm 41, clean cut, 6'2", and have an athletic build. I was wearing a fitted black t-shirt, jeans, and black Oakley combat boots. The gun is black and was in a black leather belt holster on my right side.)

He made it clear that this was 'company policy' and not an individual management decision, stating that he personally didn't have an issue with open carry.

Has anyone else had an incident at any other Rite Aid? I did a web search and didn't come up with anything.

Jason - Owner www.Lowpriceguns.com

You might want to talk to that manager again...it is publiched policy that an EMPLOYEE cannot possess weapons and explosives, while at work, but I see nothing in their policies that states anything about customers not being allowed to carry. Ask him for the company CUSTOMER policy...I'll bet that the CUSTOMER policy is state law. (as is with Walgrens' and Wal-Mart)

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

That is interesting.

After reading this I went to the Rite Aid governance section of their website http://www.riteaid.com/company/governance/guidelines.jsf to see if I can find anything there.
So far, even in their Bylaws, there is no mention of weapon, firearm, gun, pistol or any other variant that I am finding.
http://www.riteaid.com/www.riteaid.com/w-content/images/company/governance/Bylaws.pdf

Before I stir or suggest a pot be stirred that may have already been, let me ask if anyone has contacted Rte Aid Corporate to find out if there is such a Corporate Policy or if this is a case of a Manager insinuating there is one?

EDIT: I did find where it is Corporate Policy that employees may not carry weapons in the workplace.
http://www.riteaid.com/www.riteaid.com/w-content/images/company/governance/code_of_ethics.pdf
Associates may not carry weapons or explosives on Company time or on the Company’s premises. Similarly, the Company will not tolerate any level of violence in the workplace or in any work-related setting. Violations of this policy must be referred to the associate’s supervisor
immediately.
For further information regarding the Company’s policy concerning weapons and workplace violence, please refer to Policy 2.1.
Now to find Policy 2.1

Last edited:

GreatWhiteLlama

Low Piced Guns is a good shop. I purchased a milled AK variant from there that I would have easily had paid an additional $300 had I purchased it from Wades.

Unfortunately I lost it in a tragic boating accident shortly thereafter...

:p

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
so basically the manager asked you to commit a crime in impersonation of a peace officer?

"Sent via my own personal defense satellite"

I was thinking the same thing when I read that!

That being said, I've never had a problem at the Rite Aide I go to. I spend a fortune there (Gold Member in their loyalty program three years in a row). I would hate to have to change my pharmacy, but definatly would if my sidearm was not welcome.

amzbrady

so basically the manager asked you to commit a crime in impersonation of a peace officer?

"Sent via my own personal defense satellite"

I was thinking the same thing when I read that!

That being said, I've never had a problem at the Rite Aide I go to. I spend a fortune there (Gold Member in their loyalty program three years in a row). I would hate to have to change my pharmacy, but definatly would if my sidearm was not welcome.

Me 3...

Does he have a second job at safeway and did he elaborate on the problem at Safeway? I thought Safeways policy was to follow state law.

FamilyMan

Factoria Safeway

I've seen unicorns in Safeway in Factoria, the most recent went thru the checkout line just as I did.

they got a few funny stares, (it was Lara Croft look alike) but no Safeway management bothered them.

babarock

I may look the part, but lets not as it is a crime to impersonate an officer. What he does in that space between his ears is up to him, but I'm not participating.