Thread: Castle Doctrine in Georgetown

Castle Doctrine in Georgetown

Just read this headline: http://www.lex18.com/news/georgetown...hoots-burglar/

I don't believe that the Castle Doctrine was ever intended to be used offensively. Although the details aren't clear yet, I think that this is a good example of the use and the importance of the CD.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    I for one will be following this story...very interested in the outcome.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

And I'm glad to see the owner followed my below stated advise about "shooting them twice" LOL............
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Sounds like a good shoot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    Sounds like a good shoot to me.
    It does to me too but you know how what seems cut and dry can turn to sh!t in the courts. Just hope the owner turns out ok. I love the "owner shoots burglar" instead of the "burglar kills owner" stories...

n.

Activist Member
    The man lived at the flea market. This case is justified under KRS ch. 503. There will be no criminal charges filed.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    The man lived at the flea market. This case is justified under KRS ch. 503. There will be no criminal charges filed.
    I say you are right. It does seem pretty cut and dry..I just always have the fear of an over zealous prosecutor will try to run with it..or a civil suit from the dirt bag woman who got some free body piercing. I just dont want this guy to be out any money other than the 5 cents it cost him to shoot her.

n.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I say you are right. It does seem pretty cut and dry..I just always have the fear of an over zealous prosecutor will try to run with it..or a civil suit from the dirt bag woman who got some free body piercing. I just dont want this guy to be out any money other than the 5 cents it cost him to shoot her.
    I hear ya'. Thank the good Lord we live in Ky and state law protects anyone justified in using deadly force. This shooting will qualify under our lethal force statutes and will blanket the shooter with immunity from any civil or criminal suit.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I hear ya'. Thank the good Lord we live in Ky and state law protects anyone justified in using deadly force. This shooting will qualify under our lethal force statutes and will blanket the shooter with immunity from any civil or criminal suit.
    I'm about willing to bet my next paycheck that you're right. Just after the Mitchell vs UK case (Fayette co, not the SC ruling), the problems out of Bardstown and Lawrence county, the illegal seizure of a Ky OCDO members gun at a mall, I have just lost some faith in the "system" and will feel much better for the justified shooter once I hear that all will be well with him.

n.

And I'm glad to see the owner followed my below stated advise about "shooting them twice" LOL............
    I'm cheap, one should be enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-ACP.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	8747  

With a .22? I wouldn't be so sure of yourself

This is what I was waiting on and was wanting to hear...No charges will be filed. http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/B...161016655.html

n.

This is what I was waiting on and was wanting to hear...No charges will be filed. http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/B...161016655.html
    I have been following this story with some interest. Some of the shooters statements really gave me pause and I am glad no charges were filed. The shooter's statement makes it seem as though there was some premeditation to the shooting and that recurring burglaries are in some way a justification for the shooting.

I don't think the guy was in the wrong, per se, it seems that the appropriate party got shot; but were I in his shoes, I would not want those comments in a News Report.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Expeditus View Post
    I have been following this story with some interest. Some of the shooters statements really gave me pause and I am glad no charges were filed. The shooter's statement makes it seem as though there was some premeditation to the shooting and that recurring burglaries are in some way a justification for the shooting.

I don't think the guy was in the wrong, per se, it seems that the appropriate party got shot; but were I in his shoes, I would not want those comments in a News Report.
    They say the worse thing to do after a shooting is to say to much. I dont think he said anything out of the way. He didnt quote dirty Harry so I think his statements are ok.

n.