Thread: Victim's mother sues gun owner in fatal shooting

Victim's mother sues gun owner in fatal shooting

The triple murder took the life of 34-year-old James Walker, of Maine, and two other young men.

BOSTON Gail Jones says she has forgiven the man who shot and killed her 23-year-old son during a botched robbery at a New Hampshire Army surplus store five years ago.

But she is hoping her son's death, in which a stolen gun was used, will prompt gun owners to be more careful about locking up their firearms.

Victim's mother sues gun owner in fatal shooting | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

"Gary Jones was a plumber's apprentice who loved BMX biking, traveling and hiking. His mother said her lawsuit is not aimed at getting vengeance against Secord."

Well if it is not vengeance then it is the money~~shameful!

How are you supposed to be responsible for someone stealing your ****?

It doesn't matter what you have and/or how well you lock it up. If a thief wants it, and is determined enough, they will steal it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

It is sickening that there are people out there like this...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

We should sue her for wasting valuable court time that could be used to lock up violent criminals.

Forgiven the shooter and now blaming another victim. This world is so upside down.

A federal judge in New Hampshire dismissed the lawsuit last year after finding that Jones had not proven her claims that [the killer's] grandfather... was negligent.

[the killer] stole the .22-caliber handgun from his grandfather's hunting camp...
    [the judge] found that [the grandfather] was not negligent because the door to his camp was locked, and [the killer] broke a window and entered without [the grandfather's] permission. The gun was unloaded and hidden...
    The judge also noted that the New Hampshire Supreme Court has recognized that people cannot be held liable for the criminal acts of third parties.
    I'm surprised that he managed to shoot 3 people enough times with a .22 that they all died.
    Also that her lawyer wasn't aware of the NHSC ruling. Admittedly, it's not in Maine, but they're right next door & it's a reasonable finding. No reason to think the Maine SC wouldn't come to the same common-sense conclusion.

"What we're trying to do in New Hampshire is to just get the word out there that if you are a gun owner, you need to be responsible, you need to take precautions."
    So start a nonprofit, get publicity, do ad campaigns, give away trigger locks (not that most of those will stop someone for long). Don't waste your money & the grandfather's in a worthless suit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    How are you supposed to be responsible for someone stealing your ****?

It doesn't matter what you have and/or how well you lock it up. If a thief wants it, and is determined enough, they will steal it.
    I guess she wants armed guards guarding every gun .. but then wouldn't they need guards and they need guards ... soon, everybody a guard.

Good plan lady .... you just added 4x the number of guns in our country ! I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Forgiven the shooter and now blaming another victim. This world is so upside down.
    +1

I hope to God she loses!! What does she think she can sue a knife owner if someone steals their knife and stabs somebody? Where does this ridiculousness end?

BOSTON (AP) A federal appeals court has upheld a ruling dismissing a lawsuit filed by a Massachusetts woman whose son was killed during a botched robbery at a New Hampshire Army surplus store.

The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the owner of the gun used in the July 2007 shooting at the Army Barracks store in Conway, N.H. was not negligent...

Court says gun owner not negligent in N.H. shooting | SeacoastOnline.com
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Great news! Thanks for the update.