• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time carrying open

Meatbag79

Today was my very first time carrying open, because my CPL just expired, and I wanted to carry legally. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but I learned this: When I carry open, it forces ME to be absolutely respectful of other people. I know the lady at 7-Eleven saw my Glock 23 (with my M2 Corp Magazine Defense System installed), but we just exchanged very polite banter, smiling back and forth as I paid for my items and bailed. My hope is that she does not fear me for carrying open, because I've given her no reason to whatsoever.

LkWd_Don

Welcome to the Forum!

You will be more sensitive to the looks from others for a while, I have been OCing for a while and still notice glances from others, but then I do not think I could be mistaken for being Law Enforcement.. LOL so the looks I get are probably more of.. is he a Criminal type of look but those who either know me or have seen me frequently know that I am not a criminal or immediate threat.

I like your avatar by the way.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Welcome to the forum. I'm a pretty mellow person to begin with, but I find myself even nicer when I OC. Thankfully I was carrying last Sunday when I took the kids to McDonald's. I don't expect much from MCD's in the first place, but they messed up my order so much I was on the verge of going postal. I was so PO'd I even took the time to send a heated email off to corporate. ==rant over== Carry on!

John Hardin

An armed society is a polite society.

<irony>...except for that segment of society who believes anyone lawfully carrying a firearm is just a violent nutjob looking for any excuse to shoot someone, and has to put them in their place by publicly accosting them and calling them rude names...</irony>

ak56

Campaign Veteran
An armed society is a polite society.

<irony>...except for that segment of society who believes anyone lawfully carrying a firearm is just a violent nutjob looking for any excuse to shoot someone, and has to put them in their place by publicly accosting them and calling them rude names...</irony>

Those individuals are neither a part of the armed society, nor the polite society.

AlexMayhem

How I have went about with store employees

. . . My hope is that she does not fear me for carrying open, because I've given her no reason to whatsoever.

There are a few shops in town that I frequent which usually have the same staff working when I show up. I used to be concerned about the employees being worried when I was OCing, but after doing it long enough and recognizing they were comfortable with it I asked one of the gals why nobody in the store minded me excercising my 2A right - she simply stated that her and her bf (who also works there) CC, and it helded that I don't act wierd in the store. I've had more than one gas station clerk immediately notice my firearm and express their disdain for company policy that forbids employees to be armed.

In time maybe you could ask the gal at the store the same. A lot of people that ask me about my gun are comfortable with them because they were raised around them but were never taught about OC or CC - good opportunity to educate people that are simply gun tolerant, especially if you print off some of the WA State gun rights brochures or can leave some at the counter for other patrons.