Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to my local Wal-Mart this morning.

Went to my local Wal-Mart this morning.

I was headed out to the shooting park this morning with my daughter for some quality time together and we needed to pick up some ammo. I stopped at New Frontier, I like to support the local guys when ever I can, being in business for myself I know how important it is to do that. But they weren't open until 10:00am and it was only 8:45am So I remembered someone told me Wal-Mart carried the ammo I needed and they were on the way to the park any how. Now I always carry my Glock 23 .40 openly on my side whenever I'm headed out to the park. So when I pulled up to the Wal-Mart I was a little hesitant about going in with it on my hip. I walked up to the doors to see if they had any signs. I couldn't see any so I figured WTH lets go. When I got to the counter I found 6 to 8 people waiting for service and no employee around, typical Wal-Mart protocol. I was set at ease when I saw two other people openly carrying and the rest were conceal carry. How did I know if they were carrying you might ask. Because their shirt was a bit too tight around the waist and I could easily see the out line of the holster Any way I bought my ammo and walked out the door without so much as a look or glance from any employee or customer. All in all a really good experience.
    [[FONT=Book Antiqua]]I LOVE MY GOD, MY COUNTRY, AND MY CONSTITUTION. GIVE IT BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by CSINEV View Post
    I was headed out to the shooting park this morning with my daughter for some quality time together and we needed to pick up some ammo. I stopped at New Frontier, I like to support the local guys when ever I can, being in business for myself I know how important it is to do that. But they weren't open until 10:00am and it was only 8:45am So I remembered someone told me Wal-Mart carried the ammo I needed and they were on the way to the park any how. Now I always carry my Glock 23 .40 openly on my side whenever I'm headed out to the park. So when I pulled up to the Wal-Mart I was a little hesitant about going in with it on my hip. I walked up to the doors to see if they had any signs. I couldn't see any so I figured WTH lets go. When I got to the counter I found 6 to 8 people waiting for service and no employee around, typical Wal-Mart protocol. I was set at ease when I saw two other people openly carrying and the rest were conceal carry. How did I know if they were carrying you might ask. Because their shirt was a bit too tight around the waist and I could easily see the out line of the holster Any way I bought my ammo and walked out the door without so much as a look or glance from any employee or customer. All in all a really good experience.
    I routinely OC in a variety of WalMart stores... never an issue.

Yep, same. WalMart seems to have this handled. Haven't had an issue in years.
    Sent from my SGH-i667 using Board Express

Gotta love Walmart.

I've OC'd a few times without issue.

Good job. Now if we could ask you to please not use the county park until such time as the county decides to follow state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    Good job. Now if we could ask you to please not use the county park until such time as the county decides to follow state law.
    Ouch !!!

Quote Originally Posted by usmcmustang View Post
    Ouch !!!
    I didn't mean it as a rebuke, just letting a new guy know.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    Why would anyone want to financially support the county when it denies us our rights under the law? I will not support a private company that makes that decision and they have every legal right to do so. Doesn't it make even more sense not to support your government when they do the same thing but under color of law?

I called for a boycott of the County Shooting park a long time ago and few heeded the call as they "liked" shooting there too much to give it up. I took a lot of heat for it. I have let the NVFAC (Don Turner) know of my dissatisfaction with the associations ties to the county park. Steve is one of the few who has also spoken out about it and never lets an opportunity go by to mention it. Good show Bubba...

TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 07-02-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

The only Walmart I don't carry in is at "Three Nations Plaza" in Reno. It's tribal land, and a whole new set of rules.

Everyplace else, I carry on.
    Hoka hey

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    The only Walmart I don't carry in is at "Three Nations Plaza" in Reno. It's tribal land, and a whole new set of rules.

Everyplace else, I carry on.
    I remember seeing something here a while back which said that tribal law didn't apply at the Wally World there. I haven't tried it yet nor pursued the question, but I've looked for any signs indicating that tribal law applies. Seeing no "fair warning" would be a good defense, and I may try it sometime with an airsoft pistol in my holster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    I called for a boycott of the County Shooting park a long time ago
    Isn't that the one that Harry Reid uses to get his NRA endorsements?
    Last edited by DVC; 07-02-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    I remember seeing something here a while back which said that tribal law didn't apply at the Wally World there. I haven't tried it yet nor pursued the question, but I've looked for any signs indicating that tribal law applies. Seeing no "fair warning" would be a good defense, and I may try it sometime with an airsoft pistol in my holster.

In my CCW class the instructor told us that you probably wouldn't be arrested for having the gun but the tribal police would confiscate it and you would have to pay a hefty fee to get it back. She said that included the Wal-Mart there because it is on tribal land.

Why yes, that is the one Horse Poop Harry uses as his defining proof that he is pro 2A.

TBG

When the shooting park first came on line, I was a proponant and supporter. I bought a "buy 10 get 11 card, and the whole works. Shortly after TBG posted with his critical thinking, and I have only been back to protest. I still have 2 paid visits left on my card that are unused.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    When the shooting park first came on line, I was a proponant and supporter. I bought a "buy 10 get 11 card, and the whole works. Shortly after TBG posted with his critical thinking, and I have only been back to protest. I still have 2 paid visits left on my card that are unused.
    You are indeed one of the few. We need to do another get together at the park to leave some pamphlets on windshields and talk to people. Should do it on a more or less regular basis. Maybe we can get more people to show up to help.

You know, going back to something you brought up a long time ago, we seriously need to get a local committee together, meet and talk some of this stuff up face to face. Make some real definitive plans how to proceed on some of these ideas. Get people to volunteer to head up some of these efforts. There are too few of us to take on so much.

Thanks for your input

TBG

Quote Originally Posted by renoglock22 View Post
    In my CCW class the instructor told us that you probably wouldn't be arrested for having the gun but the tribal police would confiscate it and you would have to pay a hefty fee to get it back. She said that included the Wal-Mart there because it is on tribal land.
    I don't trust CCW instructors to know what they are talking about. I have known some real experts, and some others who were not -- and there is no way to tell the difference until later.

However, this is why I would use an airsoft gun -- something that I can abandon without losing any money. I'm sure that I can find a broken one somewhere.

Of course, the more direct way would be to just call the tribal police and ask them about it -- including whatever they have in writing.

The bottom line here is that if it is legal, we shouldn't be afraid to do it, and if not legal, we should know once and for all.

You know, going back to something you brought up a long time ago, we seriously need to get a local committee together, meet and talk some of this stuff up face to face. Make some real definitive plans how to proceed on some of these ideas. Get people to volunteer to head up some of these efforts. There are too few of us to take on so much.
    Excuse me, but wasn't that what NVFAC said that they were there for, long moons ago . . ?

Of course, the more direct way would be to just call the tribal police and ask them about it -- including whatever they have in writing.

I would never suggest to ask the cops, tribal or otherwise, they havn't a clue or will lie to you. The key here is as DVC says "in writing" and make them supply a copy to you. In other words cite the law.

TBG

You are indeed one of the few. We need to do another get together at the park to leave some pamphlets on windshields and talk to people. Should do it on a more or less regular basis. Maybe we can get more people to show up to help.

Thanks for your input

TBG
    Agreed. I'm still learning, but I am available for such things. And I'll bring my kids. What better time to teach them about standing up for their rights than now? I'm sure I'll regret it when they are teenagers...

Clearly, we need to establish a bat-signal.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

My understanding of "indian land issues" is this:

White man live under White man law "state law"
    Red man live under Red man law "tribal law"

Accent thrown in for illistrative purposes only.

So if you are not Native american, or don't fit the blood criteria, you fall under State law, up to a certain threshhold.(Felony I beleive) Of course they can kick you off their land for OCing, but not the State Highway Etc.
    Last edited by DON`T TREAD ON ME; 07-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.

TBG - question, what is it that the shooting park did that makes you want to ban them?
    [[FONT=Book Antiqua]]I LOVE MY GOD, MY COUNTRY, AND MY CONSTITUTION. GIVE IT BACK!

Excuse me, but wasn't that what NVFAC said that they were there for, long moons ago . . ?
    Doesn't mean we can't help out in a friendly, hold their feet to the fire, sorta way.

TBG

Quote Originally Posted by CSINEV View Post
    TBG - question, what is it that the shooting park did that makes you want to ban them?
    Boycott, not "ban". The shooting park is owned and operated by Clark County. Clark County refuses to obey state preemption. We are not allowed to carry in the parks (except shooting park), buildings or properties of Clark County. They enforce local ordinances that are no longer valid under state law.

No rights, no money. I don't spend money at Costco because they make me leave my rights at the door and they have every legal right to do so. The county makes me leave my rights at the door, and have NO legal right to do so.

I hope I have explained it well enough to you. Thanks for asking.

TBG

Boycott, not "ban". The shooting park is owned and operated by Clark County. Clark County refuses to obey state preemption. We are not allowed to carry in the parks (except shooting park), buildings or properties of Clark County. They enforce local ordinances that are no longer valid under state law.

No rights, no money. I don't spend money at Costco because they make me leave my rights at the door and they have every legal right to do so. The county makes me leave my rights at the door, and have NO legal right to do so.

I hope I have explained it well enough to you. Thanks for asking.

TBG
    I am torn about this. On one hand, I totally agree with your reasons. OTOH, I am concerned that this is throwing the baby out with the bath water. I value the shooting park, and I hope it succeeds long term. I don't want to jeopardize its long term success. To use another common expression, I don't want to cut off my (gun-loving) nose to spite my face.

I feel like the county issues should really be easy enough to knock down on their own merits, without the need to boycott a valuable county resource that, let's be honest, may need our support to succeed. To go a step further, the CCSP is a county-run enterprise that visibly legitimises our favorite hobby. That counts for something.

As I said, I am certainly on the same page with regards to your reasoning.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Merlin think about this. Why is that the only park we can carry? They didn't make any special rules for it. So how did te exempt it? It's ok for the county to take our money in that park, yet deny our rights in others?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast