• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to my local Wal-Mart this morning.

The Big Guy

TBG - question, what is it that the shooting park did that makes you want to ban them?

Boycott, not "ban". The shooting park is owned and operated by Clark County. Clark County refuses to obey state preemption. We are not allowed to carry in the parks (except shooting park), buildings or properties of Clark County. They enforce local ordinances that are no longer valid under state law.

No rights, no money. I don't spend money at Costco because they make me leave my rights at the door and they have every legal right to do so. The county makes me leave my rights at the door, and have NO legal right to do so.

I hope I have explained it well enough to you. Thanks for asking.

TBG

Merlin

Boycott, not "ban". The shooting park is owned and operated by Clark County. Clark County refuses to obey state preemption. We are not allowed to carry in the parks (except shooting park), buildings or properties of Clark County. They enforce local ordinances that are no longer valid under state law.

No rights, no money. I don't spend money at Costco because they make me leave my rights at the door and they have every legal right to do so. The county makes me leave my rights at the door, and have NO legal right to do so.

I hope I have explained it well enough to you. Thanks for asking.

TBG

I am torn about this. On one hand, I totally agree with your reasons. OTOH, I am concerned that this is throwing the baby out with the bath water. I value the shooting park, and I hope it succeeds long term. I don't want to jeopardize its long term success. To use another common expression, I don't want to cut off my (gun-loving) nose to spite my face.

I feel like the county issues should really be easy enough to knock down on their own merits, without the need to boycott a valuable county resource that, let's be honest, may need our support to succeed. To go a step further, the CCSP is a county-run enterprise that visibly legitimises our favorite hobby. That counts for something.

As I said, I am certainly on the same page with regards to your reasoning.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Vegassteve

Merlin think about this. Why is that the only park we can carry? They didn't make any special rules for it. So how did te exempt it? It's ok for the county to take our money in that park, yet deny our rights in others?

The Big Guy

I am torn about this. On one hand, I totally agree with your reasons. OTOH, I am concerned that this is throwing the baby out with the bath water. I value the shooting park, and I hope it succeeds long term. I don't want to jeopardize its long term success. To use another common expression, I don't want to cut off my (gun-loving) nose to spite my face.

I feel like the county issues should really be easy enough to knock down on their own merits, without the need to boycott a valuable county resource that, let's be honest, may need our support to succeed. To go a step further, the CCSP is a county-run enterprise that visibly legitimises our favorite hobby. That counts for something.

As I said, I am certainly on the same page with regards to your reasoning.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

1. The county should not be in the business of competing with other groups and businesses. They need to sell out to a private group. It has already proven to be a money pit for the county.

2. Boiled down, "I value the shooting park". You have told me as many others have, that you like to shoot there and don't want to give it up even though there are plenty of other places to shoot.

3. If it was all that easy a problem to "knock down on their own merits", it would have been solved long ago.

4. As far as "visibly legitimises our favorite hobby", how many citizens of Clark County even know it exists?

From a purely taxpayer side of things, how has it benefitted the citizens of this county with all the money the county has thrown into it? Financial pressure on the county commission can only benefit us. It would be their choice to give in and save the park, or fight to the bitter end and cost the taxpayers money they don't have to keep it afloat.

TBG

Last edited:

Merlin

1. The county should not be in the business of competing with other groups and businesses. They need to sell out to a private group. It has already proven to be a money pit for the county.

Normally I would agree that the county should not compete with businesses, but businesses are not in the business of parks. I think the shooting park is offering something that isn't really offered by any other entity nearby. See # 2 before you judge this one..
2. Boiled down, "I value the shooting park". You have told me as many others have, that you like to shoot there and don't want to give it up even though there are plenty of other places to shoot.

Actually no, I have never shot there. I am a life member at Desert Sportsman, which is much closer to me. I have been to the CCSP once when it first opened, and recognized how nice it was, and how it COULD be a nice place to shoot. I know that the youth shooting program now shoots up there, and this gives them a place to do it. I value that. I would like to think that given the right promotion, this place COULD be a draw similar to the gun store, without the hawking and bad attitudes. Hell, for that matter, I'd even be open to some public/private partnership to increase the use (and success) of the park. I think it is valuable for communities to have such resources.
3. If it was all that easy a problem to "knock down on their own merits", it would have been solved long ago.

Time will tell. I think it just hasn't had enough attention yet. You've already proven that one man can make a difference. This one just requires a few more men. (yes, I mean people, ladies)

4. As far as "visibly legitimises our favorite hobby", how many citizens of Clark County even know it exists?

Plenty. But that wasn't my point. If gun shooting sports wasn't a legitimate, constitutionally guaranteed exercise, we wouldn't have a county money pit dedicated to it, right? :)

From a purely taxpayer side of things, how has it benefitted the citizens of this county with all the money the county has thrown into it? Financial pressure on the county commission can only benefit us. It would be their choice to give in and save the park, or fight to the bitter end and cost the taxpayers money they don't have to keep it afloat.

I don't think parks will ever be fully self-sustaining. I get it, generally, I am of the same small-government mindset. But I think we need parks, and I think there are certain things that are best done as a community. I don't think of parks as a government affair (even though they often are). I think of them as something that communities want, and thats why we do it. Every time I take my kids to a nearby park, I see other families as well, and I remember that every day those families are spending quality time together, their kids are not getting jumped-in to a gang. Maybe this part of me is a bit idealistic, but I'm ok with that classification.

I don't think we really disagree in principle here, I'm just willing to give the CCSP a pass on the issue, because I think it presents a greater benefit to it's community than it's boycott value presents to my other agenda (OC). I totally respect your choice in boycotting it, but this seemed like an excellent opportunity to air some considerations from all sides. Just the fact that I respect your efforts thus far made me carefully consider my own reasons, and be sure about my convictions WRT to same before spilling them live on the Internet.

Vegassteve

Every time I take my kids to a nearby park, I see other families as well, and I remember that every day those families are spending quality time together, their kids are not getting jumped-in to a gang. Maybe this part of me is a bit idealistic, but I'm ok with that classification.

I don't think we really disagree in principle here, I'm just willing to give the CCSP a pass on the issue, because I think it presents a greater benefit to it's community than it's boycott value presents to my other agenda (OC). I totally respect your choice in boycotting it, but this seemed like an excellent opportunity to air some considerations from all sides. Just the fact that I respect your efforts thus far made me carefully consider my own reasons, and be sure about my convictions WRT to same before spilling them live on the Internet.

When you go to those other parks do you carry? If you do you currently violate a county ordinance. Those kids are not getting jumped into a gang but gangs are jumping park goers. Those gang members are not abiding by the law at all. Why are you not allowed to protect your family there but you can bring your arsenal into the park that collects money? If your agenda is OC then you should support us in the county fight on all levels, because you can not open carry in any county park but one right now.

CCSP does not get the pass you give them, the county does. And by doing so you allow the county to VIOLATE your RIGHTS, and mine and everyone else's.

ssdsam2

The only Walmart I don't carry in is at "Three Nations Plaza" in Reno. It's triulbal land, and a whole new set of rules.

Everyplace else, I carry on.

I have oc there like 20 times in the past 6. Mouths at all times of day and night. Never had a problem