• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nearly 7 weeks in Norwalk, still no Pistol Permit...

Amy D.

I diligently applied for my pistol permit at my local PD in Norwalk on May 16, 2012. I called NPD at the 5 week mark to ask if they had sent all my info and where they were in the process. A very nice woman in the Records Department said everything had been sent, but there was a "backlog" on the FBI level. She said I would have to wait 8 to 12 weeks (in total). I gently let her know that I was aware that this was past the 8 week allowance and asked her how this could happen. She basically said the same people who made the law are the ones breaking it. (Why does the FBI have anything to do with the CT 8 week law?) Really, all I want is my permit. She did say I could call back after the 8 weeks are up (that will be 7/11/12).

What can I do to find out what's going on, get some real answers, and move this along?

Thanks to anyone who can help. So very much appreciated.

-Amy

davidmcbeth

Banned
What can I do to find out what's going on, get some real answers, and move this along?

-Amy

You can file a written Connecticut Personal Act request for any documents relating to your application with DESPP.

And upon 8 weeks, you can file an appeal of your apparent denial (after 8 weeks, that's a denial).

There are lots of threads regarding permits and delays ... last one was issued on about the 65th day...

Amy D.

You can file a written Connecticut Personal Act request for any documents relating to your application with DESPP.

And upon 8 weeks, you can file an appeal of your apparent denial (after 8 weeks, that's a denial).

There are lots of threads regarding permits and delays ... last one was issued on about the 65th day...

Thanks, David. I have read through many of the threads on this which is what prompted my question. I am aware that I can file an appeal and I will certainly move to that option if need be. Other than time, there is no reason for a denial (I have no criminal history and am an upstanding citizen), and the appeal would be "due to a delay of decision to approve or deny" (Sec 29-28b).

Does anyone know if Norwalk, in particular, is taking a long time and about how long that is? Should I continue to call the Records Department in Norwalk or should I call the BFPE (and whom within that office?).

Thanks again.

Rich B

There is no backlog. There is also no need to wait until the 8 week deadline. The deadline for the issuance of a pistol permit is much shorter, although some people still erroneously cite the 8 week deadline.

Here is the deal. You need to find out the following:

- The date you submitted your application to the Norwalk PD.
- The date Norwalk PD sent your fingerprints to DESPP SPBI for background checks.
- The date DESPP SPBI sent your background check back to the PD.

Connecticut Carry can help you with finding any of these things out.

At this point I can pretty much guarantee that you are well past when you should appeal, so lets get this information together and get your appeal filed.

The best way to get in contact with us for assistance is email. info [at] ctcarry.com

Last edited:

Amy D.

There is no backlog. There is also no need to wait until the 8 week deadline. The deadline for the issuance of a pistol permit is much shorter, although some people still erroneously cite the 8 week deadline.

Here is the deal. You need to find out the following:

- The date you submitted your application to the Norwalk PD.
- The date Norwalk PD sent your fingerprints to DESPP SPBI for background checks.
- The date DESPP SPBI sent your background check back to the PD.

Connecticut Carry can help you with finding any of these things out.

At this point I can pretty much guarantee that you are well past when you should appeal, so lets get this information together and get your appeal filed.

The best way to get in contact with us for assistance is email. info [at] ctcarry.com

OKAY! Let's go! I will email you and we can get this going. Thank you!

davidmcbeth

Banned
. Other than time, there is no reason for a denial (I have no criminal history and am an upstanding citizen)" (Sec 29-28b).

It is my opinion that anyone who has their gun rights should have their permit issued .. upstanding citizen or not. I have thread running showing my lovely experience with the board (the board's questionnaire asks for irrelevant questions meant to harass an applicant~ditto for the DPS form; the board has actually agreed to this point). The police can check in about 30 seconds and see if you are legally able to own a gun (and you sign an affidavit too, so what does the state want? other than to harass) .. the reason for a delay past 30 seconds is designed to harass, delay, and discourage people from getting permits.

IH8SPM

Your right! When you get pulled over they run it in the cars using your license.

OP work with Rich he knows this inside out. Almost certain you'll have it by 7/11.
Sent using Tapatalk without spelling or grammer check.

KIX

Still waiting to see cases at the BFPE for people under 8 weeks.........

Jonathan

brk913

Still waiting to see cases at the BFPE for people under 8 weeks.........

Jonathan

I don't think you ever will since they are now issuing hearing dates for March of 2013. I know people who have filed due to the town not giving the approve or deny after 7 days of being in receipt of the background check (under 8weeks), problem is by the time their hearing date comes up the town has issued (sometimes right before the hearing). Because the Board has such a long waiting list the towns can delay you out almost 8 months and never be brought before the Board.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't think you ever will since they are now issuing hearing dates for March of 2013. I know people who have filed due to the town not giving the approve or deny after 7 days of being in receipt of the background check (under 8weeks), problem is by the time their hearing date comes up the town has issued (sometimes right before the hearing). Because the Board has such a long waiting list the towns can delay you out almost 8 months and never be brought before the Board.

This is the issue: people drop their complaints! If its a violation it should be found as such. For example: if my town issues me a permit before my hearing, I shall not drop the pending case. I would want a finding of fact showing that the town violated the law and I would request sanctions and rulings on my motions...hardly a moot point even though they issued.

I guess many town will basically state that they did not get the BR checks back from DESPP in a time frame where it allowed them to complete the permit application in under 8 weeks. With this argument I would counter-argue: you have a right to practice with your handgun so unless the authority can show that you are not eligible to own a handgun then they should automatically issue at 8 weeks as they have the burden to show you are not eligible to own a handgun and additionally have not shown any good cause for a further delay in issuing a permit. And nothing was stopping the issuing authority from conducting an independent check on the applicant (they can do this for free!)

JoeSparky

Centurion
This is the issue: people drop their complaints! If its a violation it should be found as such. For example: if my town issues me a permit before my hearing, I shall not drop the pending case. I would want a finding of fact showing that the town violated the law and I would request sanctions and rulings on my motions...hardly a moot point even though they issued.

I guess many town will basically state that they did not get the BR checks back from DESPP in a time frame where it allowed them to complete the permit application in under 8 weeks. With this argument I would counter-argue: you have a right to practice with your handgun so unless the authority can show that you are not eligible to own a handgun then they should automatically issue at 8 weeks as they have the burden to show you are not eligible to own a handgun and additionally have not shown any good cause for a further delay in issuing a permit. And nothing was stopping the issuing authority from conducting an independent check on the applicant (they can do this for free!)

It would be nice if the law actually REQUIRED the permit to be issued at a certain point absent any prohibiting findings then a repeal/revocation later IF justified my new info. Me thinks you won't have much luck getting your states legislature to make this change however! Wishing it weren't so!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Me thinks you won't have much luck getting your states legislature to make this change however! Wishing it weren't so!

I agree ... our legislature are never going to GIVE us our rights, because to them, we have no rights at all.

The court is the venue to change the law....

davidmcbeth

Banned

That's right, and as long as people play the DPS and PD's games and methods, this will never be accomplished. The method to do this is to object to anything they want you to do to preserve a record for a court to review.

As soon as a litigant starts talking about how upstanding a citizen they are and how they deserve a permit they agree to suitability requirements.

As soon as a litigant does not object to the board calling witnesses and/or acting as an advocate for the towns they agree that the board has this authority.

The board should only consider these one main fact at a board hearing: a) does the person have his or her gun rights? Anything beyond that is simply not relevant to the notion that a permit should be issued or not.

Its the 4th of July, when we declared our independence from the British - people should start declaring their independence from the board in respect to our right to obtain a permit.

Have a happy 4th folks!

brk913

you have a right to practice with your handgun

I have seen you post this statement several times, can you provide a cite for this? I see nowhere a guarantee to practice or shoot your guns. Neither by law or any court decision. Both our state constitution and the federal constitution provide for you to keep and bear arms, the state constitution goes on to say in defese of self and state, however, I see nowhere in writing reinforcing the right to practice with your firearm. Don't get me wrong, the governments at both levels have run ruff shod over gun rights in general but I am really curious where you get the opinion you have the right to practice. If you are right then their is no need to have a permit to transport your pistols to practice, as you know that would be against the law in CT.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I can. Ezell v Chicago.

Yes, that's one ... and its one of several court cases I referenced in my set of objections to the questionnaire that the board mandates be completed to perfect an appeal to the board.

The result? See: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ALREADY-I-ll-go-and-apply-for-a-CCW-but/page2

The board basically agreed that suitability is now a defunct idea.

My current viewpoint is that you still do need a permit to practice ... but a permit should be issued to any lawful gun owner w/o the need for any suitability test. I can see BRK's viewpoint that a person can transport w/o a permit to practice -- but one may need to be arrested to attack this aspect of the law; with my current argument, I am not exposing myself to arrest.

And it would be harder to attack the need for a permit for transportation -- I have not found any case law supporting a viewpoint that a permit requirement, even for transporting a gun for target practice, would violate the 2nd amendment. If BRK has any, I would like to review -- I have not found any.

By bring things up like BRK does, it helps our community learn..and knowledge is power

Last edited:

brk913

Just to get my official opinion on the record, I believe in Constitutional Carry, basically anyone and everyone should be able to purchase, transport and carry anyway and anytime they want with no hinderance from any government agency. The "limits" I would like to see imposed would not hinder any lawful person. For true crime control I would suggest that anyone who commits a crime with or while possessing a firearm be locked up for 25 years or more. I am now going to read the case Rich cited.