Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone Here Have Power?

Everyone Here Have Power?

I ask because I just saw where some communities might not get power back for another 7 days.....and just to keep this on topic, always keep your sidearm close during weather emergencies

My parents live in Elkton and they got it back around 4pm. My wife's Grandmother in Staunton is still off. The storm that went through a couple hours ago flickered the lights and I could see disaster on my horizon lol...

It never fails

Lost power for 12 hours Thursday night for the 1st time in years. (Isabell was the last time and then only for 20 minutes.)

Most recent storm gave us lightning and hail, but no power outages. Sunday morning Comcast died and "technicians are working on restoring service" for 18 hours now.

Comcast fails on the average of at least once a month in my area. (North Chesterfield)

No damage to trees or homes thankfully.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Yep, just got it back yesterday at the burb house. I make my own at the farm. IIt wasn't a big problem for me, the generator kicked in about a minute after I lost power on the grid.

We're spotters for the NWS and I went all the way to the eastern shore yesterday videoing the debris fields. It helps to determine if a tornado touched down in areas the investigators can't get to or don't have time to fly over.

Most of the damage I saw was in Central Virginia...Hanover, King William and Henrico and all I saw were the result of straight line winds (Mico bursts).

I haven't checked with Wakefield yet to see where they confirmed tornadoes yet.

There was also lots of lightening damage. I got this during Saturdays storm.

I've got an appointment this morning but figured I'd start looking over the timelapse photos I got as the first storm moved in before I left. There looks like there was rotation early on.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    We were lucky. We never lost power during the entire time. My youngest daughter and her family live three miles away and they were without power for two days, which under the circumstances of this storm is not that bad.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Ours went out at 2220 Friday(about 10 minutes after I got home from work and just as I sat down to eat dinner, ugh) and came back on at 0115 this morning. Not the best weekend possible, but lots of folks were hit a lot worse than we were.

Our power went out on Friday at 2230 and came back on Saturday morning at 0930 (approx.). Saturdays storms flickered the lights and one neighbor at the corner of Huguenot tr. and Old River Tr. was just getting their power restored this morning when I drove by coming into work. Our neighborhood is weird. Three houses down they have Dominion but we have Southside electric cooperative. Then west of 522 they have Dominion. I guess at one time one of the land owners wouldn't let Dominion power cross his property. So they started the cooperative? I dont know the full story but its chopped my area up. I will say the cooperative gets the power back on pretty quick as opposed to Dominion.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I was in Upperville, Va. on Friday night when the storm hit there. By Saturday morning, they were preparing for 2-3 days without power. Came back to Richmond and the ol' homestead didn't lose power this time.

I think a buddy of mine in F'burg still has no power.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Yep, just got it back yesterday at the burb house. I make my own at the farm. IIt wasn't a big problem for me, the generator kicked in about a minute after I lost power on the grid.

We're spotters for the NWS and I went all the way to the eastern shore yesterday videoing the debris fields. It helps to determine if a tornado touched down in areas the investigators can't get to or don't have time to fly over.

Most of the damage I saw was in Central Virginia...Hanover, King William and Henrico and all I saw were the result of straight line winds (Mico bursts).

I haven't checked with Wakefield yet to see where they confirmed tornadoes yet.

There was also lots of lightening damage. I got this during Saturdays storm.

Peter wish I hada known you were comming over, would have liked to met up with you.

I just drove home from Mechanicsville and passed an enormous convoy of Gulf Power bucket trucks headed north on 95. I sure hope no severe weather hits down south, because based on the number of trucks, I don't think they left any linemen in Florida.

These are some of the "first responders" that folks tend to forget about. It's a dangerous and physically brutal job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Peter wish I hada known you were comming over, would have liked to met up with you.
    Next trip I'll let you know and buy your lunch!

Another of the side effects of the power outages has been several gas stations running out of gas. A lot of the gas for places as far away as Culpeper, Madison, Winchester, South Hill, Williamsburg, Harrisonburg comes from terminals in South Richmond. At least 2 that I know of have been without power all weekend, which means the stations that would have got gas from those 2 terminals have had to get it from one (in particular) of the others. In turn that means longer lines for the trucks waiting to load at the working terminals. Longer lines means late deliveries and also drivers being unable to complete all their scheduled deliveries.

Over the past 4 days I've averaged 2 or 3 stations per day that had ran out of regular gas by the time I got there. I hope no one was running short on their way up US17 in Nova on Saturday, at it's intersection with Rt28 there are 4 or 5 gas stations within 200yards, and each of them had ran dry. I stopped at one of them and before I could start unloading one of the staff from another station came over trying to tell me I was at the wrong place and I had to come to their station. Having just dealt with a bunch of New Yorkers and New Englanders displaying their lack of driving ability on the trip from Richmond, I was in no mood to deal with yet another idiot, especially one who wouldn't listen when I told him I know where I'm supposed to be.

For what it's worth, I was open carrying a big crow-bar at the time.

OUt for 35 hours in south Richmond.

Also, was in my car in Short Pump Monday a week ago, on the edge of, or near the Goochland tornado. Zero visibility with hail. Yikes!

Oc getting gas for my generator.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 07-02-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Monday last week was when we lost power. Went to RCD for breakfast with Logan, went to Target on the way home, filled my gas tank at Sheetz and came home just in time for Logan to watch Caillou (a kids' tv show he loves) before his afternoon nap. He went to bed at 1pm and just after 2pm it went really dark outside and very suddenly dark inside too. Our power didn't come back until just before 6pm Tuesday

We only lost power for a few hours. However we have lost my DH until at least Sunday. He works for dominion and is out patrolling and trying to get people's power back on. He is usually a business process analyst but a few years ago was a designer and so when they called all hands on deck he was called out for at least a week. So if you see a dominion truck give a wave it might be my husband.

I will tell him. He was telling me yesterday about things that happen both good and bad. He was nearly given a puppy by one family that wanted to show their appreciation by sending us a dog.. Then he told me about having to fend off very angry customers intent on injuring him because they had been without power for two days. It runs the gambit. Most days he is on storm duty he is clambering along electic line routes which can be easy or as it stands now he is in the mountains and so it's up 30 degree inclines.

As for the CEO, well I would not want his job. Way too political. Good for him on the salary. Chris thinks he is a good CEO, seems to have the best interests of the company at heart. Additionally it seems he puts on less "airs" than many CEOs. Ain't capitalism grand!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    By the way, did you know the CEO of Dominion makes $14 million a year? [/b]
    Who gives a darn, so what if it's more than a dollar and since my dividend checks are still good, i could care less what the man makes.

It's called envy. I have never made $14 million a year!

You asked a simple question, I answered it truthfully.

Do you realize 52 weeks x 40 hours is 2080 work hours a year? And $14 million divided by 2080 hours is a $6,730 an hour salary? Nobody on the face of this earth is worth $6,730 an hour, I don't care who they are.
    Shrug---my daddy always told me that a fare is something you pay to take a bus. Life sure ain't fair, but I am happy. I tend to think if you try to go with "thou shalt not covet" and be ambitious yet content then life works out a lot better.

Edited to add.....please don't attack my husband...he can't get your power back on if he is injured. You don't have to make him lemonade, but just get out of their way so they can get everyone back on.
    Last edited by MamabearCali; 07-03-2012 at 07:50 PM.

It's called envy. I have never made $14 million a year!

You asked a simple question, I answered it truthfully.

Do you realize 52 weeks x 40 hours is 2080 work hours a year? And $14 million divided by 2080 hours is a $6,730 an hour salary? Nobody on the face of this earth is worth $6,730 an hour, I don't care who they are.
    actually his annual compensation is only 1.2 million a year which is only 576.92/hour. The rest of his income is a performance bonus and since Dominion made 14billion in profit last year a bonus of 0.0009% isn't that bad.

But still............ I envy a $14 million a year salary.
    Well compared to PepCo, they do a great job of keeping the lights on and fixing them when they go down. So i would say as CEO, he's a bargain at twice the price. And yes, some people are worth that much.

The power went out on Friday at about 22:30 (just outside Falls Church city) and stayed out until about 13:00 Sunday. lots of water weight lost...

I live in Fairfax county, just east of the Fairfax City line. Power, phones, cell service and Internet went out Friday evening. Cell phone started working somewhat on Tuesday. Rest came back on Wednesday afternoon. Looks like several trees came down within about 100 yards of one another, breaking about a half dozen utility poles. They're still working on it and part of the road is still closed, but, for the moment, stuff's working.

Had to laugh. Listening to the battery radio during the outage, seems like the power companies and local government had a hard time keeping a grip on reality. They kept running puplic service spots to the effect of, "if your power is out, go to this web site to see repair status and a list of shelters with power and AC...". Right.

Quote Originally Posted by markand View Post

Had to laugh. Listening to the battery radio during the outage, seems like the power companies and local government had a hard time keeping a grip on reality. They kept running puplic service spots to the effect of, "if your power is out, go to this web site to see repair status and a list of shelters with power and AC...". Right.
    Dominion was doing that. LMAO

Founder's Club Member
    We lost power Friday night, probably around 9 p.m. as the storm tore through Lynchburg. We were out to dinner when the storm hit and although our restaurant didn't completely lose power, they lost a couple transformers outside that left them down on power. Unfortunately the storm toppled over a large tree onto the cars of several servers, who then likely had no car and no power at home. Fortunately we were only left without power and even then, only until mid-afternoon on Monday.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 07-05-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast