• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everyone Here Have Power?

BlueRidgeTrapper

I ask because I just saw where some communities might not get power back for another 7 days.....and just to keep this on topic, always keep your sidearm close during weather emergencies :)

Sheriff

Charlottesville and Albemarle County were hard hit. Two thirds of the population in this 700 square mile area were/are out of power. And it doesn't seem it is being restored very fast. My brother works at the phone company, and Century Link says this is the worst outage in the history of Charlottesville and Albemarle County, both in power lines and telephone lines. I did not lose power at all, Thank God! But I lost it for 24 hours during a severe summer storm in 2011. It was so humid I ended up sleeping in my cars with the A/C on.

Last edited:

BlueRidgeTrapper

My parents live in Elkton and they got it back around 4pm. My wife's Grandmother in Staunton is still off. The storm that went through a couple hours ago flickered the lights and I could see disaster on my horizon lol...

va_tazdad

It never fails

Lost power for 12 hours Thursday night for the 1st time in years. (Isabell was the last time and then only for 20 minutes.)

Most recent storm gave us lightning and hail, but no power outages. Sunday morning Comcast died and "technicians are working on restoring service" for 18 hours now.

Comcast fails on the average of at least once a month in my area. (North Chesterfield)

No damage to trees or homes thankfully.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yep, just got it back yesterday at the burb house. I make my own at the farm. IIt wasn't a big problem for me, the generator kicked in about a minute after I lost power on the grid.

We're spotters for the NWS and I went all the way to the eastern shore yesterday videoing the debris fields. It helps to determine if a tornado touched down in areas the investigators can't get to or don't have time to fly over.

Most of the damage I saw was in Central Virginia...Hanover, King William and Henrico and all I saw were the result of straight line winds (Mico bursts).

I haven't checked with Wakefield yet to see where they confirmed tornadoes yet.

There was also lots of lightening damage. I got this during Saturdays storm.

lightening.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've got an appointment this morning but figured I'd start looking over the timelapse photos I got as the first storm moved in before I left. There looks like there was rotation early on.

storm-lapse.jpg

PaulX608

Ours went out at 2220 Friday(about 10 minutes after I got home from work and just as I sat down to eat dinner, ugh) and came back on at 0115 this morning. Not the best weekend possible, but lots of folks were hit a lot worse than we were.

Bowesmobile

Our power went out on Friday at 2230 and came back on Saturday morning at 0930 (approx.). Saturdays storms flickered the lights and one neighbor at the corner of Huguenot tr. and Old River Tr. was just getting their power restored this morning when I drove by coming into work. Our neighborhood is weird. Three houses down they have Dominion but we have Southside electric cooperative. Then west of 522 they have Dominion. I guess at one time one of the land owners wouldn't let Dominion power cross his property. So they started the cooperative? I dont know the full story but its chopped my area up. I will say the cooperative gets the power back on pretty quick as opposed to Dominion.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I was in Upperville, Va. on Friday night when the storm hit there. By Saturday morning, they were preparing for 2-3 days without power. Came back to Richmond and the ol' homestead didn't lose power this time.

I think a buddy of mine in F'burg still has no power.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Yep, just got it back yesterday at the burb house. I make my own at the farm. IIt wasn't a big problem for me, the generator kicked in about a minute after I lost power on the grid.

We're spotters for the NWS and I went all the way to the eastern shore yesterday videoing the debris fields. It helps to determine if a tornado touched down in areas the investigators can't get to or don't have time to fly over.

Most of the damage I saw was in Central Virginia...Hanover, King William and Henrico and all I saw were the result of straight line winds (Mico bursts).

I haven't checked with Wakefield yet to see where they confirmed tornadoes yet.

There was also lots of lightening damage. I got this during Saturdays storm.

lightening.jpg
Peter wish I hada known you were comming over, would have liked to met up with you.

zoom6zoom

I just drove home from Mechanicsville and passed an enormous convoy of Gulf Power bucket trucks headed north on 95. I sure hope no severe weather hits down south, because based on the number of trucks, I don't think they left any linemen in Florida.

These are some of the "first responders" that folks tend to forget about. It's a dangerous and physically brutal job.

scouser

Another of the side effects of the power outages has been several gas stations running out of gas. A lot of the gas for places as far away as Culpeper, Madison, Winchester, South Hill, Williamsburg, Harrisonburg comes from terminals in South Richmond. At least 2 that I know of have been without power all weekend, which means the stations that would have got gas from those 2 terminals have had to get it from one (in particular) of the others. In turn that means longer lines for the trucks waiting to load at the working terminals. Longer lines means late deliveries and also drivers being unable to complete all their scheduled deliveries.

Over the past 4 days I've averaged 2 or 3 stations per day that had ran out of regular gas by the time I got there. I hope no one was running short on their way up US17 in Nova on Saturday, at it's intersection with Rt28 there are 4 or 5 gas stations within 200yards, and each of them had ran dry. I stopped at one of them and before I could start unloading one of the staff from another station came over trying to tell me I was at the wrong place and I had to come to their station. Having just dealt with a bunch of New Yorkers and New Englanders displaying their lack of driving ability on the trip from Richmond, I was in no mood to deal with yet another idiot, especially one who wouldn't listen when I told him I know where I'm supposed to be.

For what it's worth, I was open carrying a big crow-bar at the time.

riverrat10k

OUt for 35 hours in south Richmond.

Also, was in my car in Short Pump Monday a week ago, on the edge of, or near the Goochland tornado. Zero visibility with hail. Yikes!

Oc getting gas for my generator.

Last edited:

scouser

Monday last week was when we lost power. Went to RCD for breakfast with Logan, went to Target on the way home, filled my gas tank at Sheetz and came home just in time for Logan to watch Caillou (a kids' tv show he loves) before his afternoon nap. He went to bed at 1pm and just after 2pm it went really dark outside and very suddenly dark inside too. Our power didn't come back until just before 6pm Tuesday

MamabearCali

We only lost power for a few hours. However we have lost my DH until at least Sunday. He works for dominion and is out patrolling and trying to get people's power back on. He is usually a business process analyst but a few years ago was a designer and so when they called all hands on deck he was called out for at least a week. So if you see a dominion truck give a wave it might be my husband.

Sheriff

We only lost power for a few hours. However we have lost my DH until at least Sunday. He works for dominion and is out patrolling and trying to get people's power back on. He is usually a business process analyst but a few years ago was a designer and so when they called all hands on deck he was called out for at least a week. So if you see a dominion truck give a wave it might be my husband.

Dominion has an open end charge account at Wood's Grille in Charlottesville. These guys eat very well while assigned to these grid reconstruction efforts, and By God, they should!!! Had a bunch of PIKE and Dominion trucks at Wood's Grille last night..... a BUNCH!!! Every time 5 or 6 trucks pulled out, 5 or 6 more pulled in. It seems like they have to eat whenever they can get to the restaurant. Cops whine and moan about better salaries, more benefits, their job is so dangerous, they deserve more my arse!! Let 'em get out on the bucket trucks and work 24 hours a day for two weeks in 100 degree weather!! They will know what work is all about! Tell your DH and best friend that I appreciate his efforts more than he and the rest of his fellow employees can ever know!!!!

By the way, did you know the CEO of Dominion makes $14 million a year?

MamabearCali

I will tell him. He was telling me yesterday about things that happen both good and bad. He was nearly given a puppy by one family that wanted to show their appreciation by sending us a dog.:D. Then he told me about having to fend off very angry customers intent on injuring him because they had been without power for two days. It runs the gambit. Most days he is on storm duty he is clambering along electic line routes which can be easy or as it stands now he is in the mountains and so it's up 30 degree inclines.

As for the CEO, well I would not want his job. Way too political. Good for him on the salary. Chris thinks he is a good CEO, seems to have the best interests of the company at heart. Additionally it seems he puts on less "airs" than many CEOs. Ain't capitalism grand!

Sheriff

Then he told me about having to fend off very angry customers intent on injuring him because they had been without power for two days.

Yeah! Tell me about it! :lol:

I was one of those people last summer when my power went off for 24 hours. I was ready to go off on somebody. The conditions then were just like they have been here for the last 4 or 5 days, extremely HOT and HUMID. Couldn't find a motel room anywhere. My wife and I had my seriously ill (and dying) mother living with us. As a matter of fact, she died just days after the power outage. I have no idea if the two events were related or not, but I feel they were. The heat and humidity just wore my mother out like it did the rest of us.

This was one of those nights I had to strap a real big gun on and sleep with the doors and windows wide open. Not the brightest thing to do here now because we have bear all over the city. The city and county is growing so fast, the bear have been forced out of their own habitat into the city.

I have since bought a generator. Wish we had it the night my mother was still with us.