• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everyone Here Have Power?

Sheriff

Who gives a darn, so what if it's more than a dollar and since my dividend checks are still good, i could care less what the man makes.

It's called envy. I have never made $14 million a year! :lol:

You asked a simple question, I answered it truthfully.

Do you realize 52 weeks x 40 hours is 2080 work hours a year? And $14 million divided by 2080 hours is a $6,730 an hour salary? Nobody on the face of this earth is worth $6,730 an hour, I don't care who they are.

MamabearCali

Do you realize 52 weeks x 40 hours is 2080 work hours a year? And $14 million divided by 2080 hours is a $6,730 an hour salary? Nobody on the face of this earth is worth $6,730 an hour, I don't care who they are.

Shrug---my daddy always told me that a fare is something you pay to take a bus. Life sure ain't fair, but I am happy. I tend to think if you try to go with "thou shalt not covet" and be ambitious yet content then life works out a lot better.

Edited to add.....please don't attack my husband...he can't get your power back on if he is injured. You don't have to make him lemonade, but just get out of their way so they can get everyone back on. :lol:

Last edited:

67GT390FB

actually his annual compensation is only 1.2 million a year which is only 576.92/hour. The rest of his income is a performance bonus and since Dominion made 14billion in profit last year a bonus of 0.0009% isn't that bad.

Sheriff

....since Dominion made 14billion in profit last year.....

I think your figures are off a tad.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/busin...ter-profit-falls-quake-hurricane--ar-1417414/

"Dominion reported earnings of $392 million, or 69 cents per share, for the period ended Sept. 30, 2011 down from $575 million, or 98 cents per share, a year ago."

If we take a 2011 high of $575 million to $600 million times 4 quarters we're still only at $2.4 billion.

But still............ I envy a $14 million a year salary. :lol:

Last edited:

Fenris

But still............ I envy a $14 million a year salary. :lol:
Well compared to PepCo, they do a great job of keeping the lights on and fixing them when they go down. So i would say as CEO, he's a bargain at twice the price. And yes, some people are worth that much.

markand

I live in Fairfax county, just east of the Fairfax City line. Power, phones, cell service and Internet went out Friday evening. Cell phone started working somewhat on Tuesday. Rest came back on Wednesday afternoon. Looks like several trees came down within about 100 yards of one another, breaking about a half dozen utility poles. They're still working on it and part of the road is still closed, but, for the moment, stuff's working.

Had to laugh. Listening to the battery radio during the outage, seems like the power companies and local government had a hard time keeping a grip on reality. They kept running puplic service spots to the effect of, "if your power is out, go to this web site to see repair status and a list of shelters with power and AC...". Right.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Had to laugh. Listening to the battery radio during the outage, seems like the power companies and local government had a hard time keeping a grip on reality. They kept running puplic service spots to the effect of, "if your power is out, go to this web site to see repair status and a list of shelters with power and AC...". Right.

Dominion was doing that. LMAO:lol:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
We lost power Friday night, probably around 9 p.m. as the storm tore through Lynchburg. We were out to dinner when the storm hit and although our restaurant didn't completely lose power, they lost a couple transformers outside that left them down on power. Unfortunately the storm toppled over a large tree onto the cars of several servers, who then likely had no car and no power at home. Fortunately we were only left without power and even then, only until mid-afternoon on Monday.

Last edited:

half_life1052

We lost power Friday night, probably around 9 p.m. as the storm tore through Lynchburg. We were out to dinner when the storm hit and although our restaurant didn't completely lose power, they lost a couple transformers outside that left them down on power. Unfortunately the storm toppled over a large tree onto the cars of several servers, who then likely had no car and no power at home. Fortunately we were only left without power and even then, only until mid-afternoon on Monday.

I finally regained service at 12:15 today. Five and one half days without power in this heat was a joy. The AC is on dammit right now ;-).

MamabearCali

Chris was out around Charlottesville today patrolling (finding out what is wrong so that the correct crew with the correct supplies shows up). He was telling me about a line he patrolled up and over the side of a mountain, it could not be patrolled by car, but instead he had to walk over the mountain and back again (happens all the time, but this one w apparently very steep). He found a pole snapped in half at such a remote place they will have to helicopter the pole and equipment in. The workers will have to clamber up the mountain like he did. He also found a friendly black bear today too! He always has the best stories from the storms. People are super interesting, animals even more so. He is hoping to be done on SAT so that means most of y'all should be on by then.

half_life1052

Chris was out around Charlottesville today patrolling (finding out what is wrong so that the correct crew with the correct supplies shows up). He was telling me about a line he patrolled up and over the side of a mountain, it could not be patrolled by car, but instead he had to walk over the mountain and back again (happens all the time, but this one w apparently very steep). He found a pole snapped in half at such a remote place they will have to helicopter the pole and equipment in. The workers will have to clamber up the mountain like he did. He also found a friendly black bear today too! He always has the best stories from the storms. People are super interesting, animals even more so. He is hoping to be done on SAT so that means most of y'all should be on by then.

Pass on my heartfelt thanks:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Pass on my heartfelt thanks:lol:

Mine too! I don't much care about getting power on (I'm off grid in one place and plenty of backup generation at the other house) but he's doing a needed job.

Hopefully they didn't eat at Bodo's:lol:

MamabearCali

He is not allowed to carry on the job anyway. He does have a pocket knife and pepper spray in his key ring. So that is something.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He is not allowed to carry on the job anyway. He does have a pocket knife and pepper spray in his key ring. So that is something.

Yeah, I know. I was joking.
I used to be with the SCC in Energy Regulation so I know what he's going through. I used to wonder how those crews kept on their feet after the first 24 hours.

It's like trying to stack ice cubes. They get a main transformer on and all the cutouts down the line drop because no one will turn anything off and the starting load is popping the safeties.

Last edited:

Sheriff

Hopefully they didn't eat at Bodo's :lol:

Bodo's is not physically capable of serving the Dominion crews for the most part. There's just no parking for the big bucket trucks at the Preston Avenue location or the Emmett Street location. This is probably why Dominion contracted with Wood Grille, they have a very large parking lot. If the guys want to get an order together for Bodo's, I will pick it up and deliver it to them. I figure my Excursion will easily hold about 3,000 bagel sandwiches if I collapse the second and third row seating.

Sheriff

He is not allowed to carry on the job anyway.

Whoa!!!! In all seriousness, when this storm damage and repairs are finished, Dominion needs to review their policy on this. There's places they don't want to go without being armed. And they don't want to get too far from their trucks without being armed. Had two men attacked by a bear here about a month ago. If they had not been armed, they would be seriously injured or dead now.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/17585961/rabid-bear-attack

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here we go again

We had a bad storm at the farm tonight. I followed a few and there's a lot of damage and outages in New Kent, Charles City and parts of Henrico and Hanover.

Hope everyone is OK.

goprolightening2.jpg