• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montauk State Park and the Current River

HighFlyingA380

Does anybody have any experiences carrying in either/or Montauk State Park or on the Current River? I've been told several times by park officials that I couldn't carry there. I know this is incorrect, but I couldn't find the applicable section of statues in his ratty old code book. (no ctl+f in books :() Also, as I understand it, carrying on the river is also O.K., just so long as it's legal in the towns/counties that the put-ins and take-outs are located. In particular, I'll be on the upper-Current at Tan Vat, Baptist, and Cedar. Thanks for you're input! I'd love to see somebody else OCing there over this holiday weekend (and other weekends too)!

Redbaron007

Most State Parks allow OC/CCW. Their caveat is discharging the firearm, it is against their policy to do it, unless self-defense.

Here is the link for my reference: Department of Natural Resources

10 CSR 90-2.020 Park Management.
.....(17) Discharging Weapons. The discharging of any device which propels an object,
including, but not limited to rifles, pistols, shotguns, BB guns, paintball guns, bow and
arrows, sling shots, or any devices which use burning powder, explosives, compressed
gases is prohibited, except in areas designated by the director. This does not apply to
acts of self-defense or to peace officers or park staff acting in the line of duty.

There is no reference prohibiting the carry of firearms in any of the rules I read. Some of the Park Rangers have a tendency to think it is not legal to carry in the parks; if the park ranger says you can't, request him to point it out and/or have them contact their supervisor. I encountered one at Table Rock State Park a few years ago; after a brief discussion, they followed up and understood. IIRC, they can post the buildings, but not the park.

Good luck, enjoy.....and let us know if you find to the contrary.

Redbaron007

Let me add a caveat to my statements.

Basically, in a nutshell, if the State Park is within a city/municipality that prohibits OC, don't OC. Very similar to the OP's comments about going down the river into a city that prohibits OC.....i.e. Babler State Park in Wildwood, The Gateway Arch are a couple of good examples.

cshoff

Concealed carry with a valid permit is lawful in EVERY state park in this state. Open carry, as RB mentioned above, is not prohibited in state parks under state law, but may be restricted/prohibited under local ordinances. The same applies to streams, rivers, and lakes.

kylemoul

I am always at Montauk trout fishing. I have asked members about this before.
CCW you are fine. you can treat that park as if it was a gas station or a grocery store.

However Montauk is located in the City of Salem, Missouri and i cannot locate any ordinances for that county. i am emiling the City to see if they have ordinances online. If not, you will need to go to the (city hall Im guessing??) to look them up for yourself.

On a side note, Dent county sits withing the city or salem on the east side
http://www.salemmo.com/maps/DentCountyMap.asp

I do not know what jurisdiction you would fall under in you are OC in dent county; dent county or the city of salem. I would like to hear some input on this if anyone have time to spare.

HighFlyingA380

I am always at Montauk trout fishing. I have asked members about this before.
CCW you are fine. you can treat that park as if it was a gas station or a grocery store.

However Montauk is located in the City of Salem, Missouri and i cannot locate any ordinances for that county. i am emiling the City to see if they have ordinances online. If not, you will need to go to the (city hall Im guessing??) to look them up for yourself.

On a side note, Dent county sits withing the city or salem on the east side
http://www.salemmo.com/maps/DentCountyMap.asp

I do not know what jurisdiction you would fall under in you are OC in dent county; dent county or the city of salem. I would like to hear some input on this if anyone have time to spare.
I already emailed them; It's legal. They don't publish their cods online. Here's the response I got: "The City of Salem has no ordinances concerning openly carrying firearms. According to the Constitution any citizen has a right to bare arms. I have enclosed what is in our Code Book concerning weapons. -Karen"

Here is a link to the entire email response, including the applicable section of the codebook.

Here's the thread which we talk about that area: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98744-Salem-MO-Licking-MO

Montauk is definitely NOT in the city of Salem, it's about 15 miles away, straight line. You can see the city limits here (about halfway down).

As for the jurisdiction when OCing in Dent County, it's just that, the county's jurisdiction. I know for a fact that both Dent and Texas counties down there are OC legal.

Freedom 1st

I already emailed them; It's legal. They don't publish their cods online. Here's the response I got: "The City of Salem has no ordinances concerning openly carrying firearms. According to the Constitution any citizen has a right to bare arms. I have enclosed what is in our Code Book concerning weapons. -Karen"

Here is a link to the entire email response, including the applicable section of the codebook.

Here's the thread which we talk about that area: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98744-Salem-MO-Licking-MO

Montauk is definitely NOT in the city of Salem, it's about 15 miles away, straight line. You can see the city limits here (about halfway down).

As for the jurisdiction when OCing in Dent County, it's just that, the county's jurisdiction. I know for a fact that both Dent and Texas counties down there are OC legal.

+1.

I am a life long resident of Dent county. High flying 380 is giving the correct information. Salem and Montauk have nothing in common other than their location within Dent county. There are NO state or county laws restricting OC in Dent county, Salem or Montauk.

Any park ranger who says it is illegal to carry, openly or concealed within the boundries of Montauk state park is SADLY mistaken. Just consider this just another LEO that is not well enough informed about the laws they are supposed to be enforcing. And unless I am sadly mistaken they (park officials) could only restrict possession of firearms within the buildings of said parks, not the actual park itself. There are no buildings posted within the park to my knowledge.

And YES, OC is legal at Tan Vat, Babtist Camp, Cedar Grove, Welchs Cave, those locations are part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways and not part of Montauk State Park.

Last edited:

Freedom 1st

Sorry, double post.

Last edited:

kylemoul

it is my mistake...the link i posted i was taking the yellow outlines to represent the entire city limits of Salem, mo, instead it represents Dent county

doh :banghead:

thanks for the info about Dent County. our weekend place in there so we do not live there on a 7 day basis.