• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

lincoln city farmers market.

nny420

Not very OC friendly. Ive taken my 2 young sons to the market 3 weekends now. the first weekend we went was a month ago. I OCed as usual. Not one word. Looked everywhere for signs prohibiting firearms and couldnt find one. Anywhere. The next weekend i was out of town and didnt make it but last weekend was the first encounter. I was doing my shopping OCing like always when this older tall gentleman approaches me wanting to talk. I obliged and he informed me i wasn't allowed to have my firearm there. I asked if it was the cultural center rules he said it was. After talking to him a moment about the laws and why i open carry, i got a directions to go to find someone in charge.
I found my way inside (rather difficult wit a double stroller :)) to the info center that was run by some prety old ladys. I asked the one behind the counter for the property manager and she couldn't hear me so she ended up right in front of the stroller. I still had sto speek up and asked again for the property manager. The lady questioned why so i informed her i was told i couldn't OC my firearm. She just about **** herself... she started backing up and caused a little panic in the info room which cleared it most the way out. After she was about as far away as she could get i finally got a name and location for the PM.
I found the PM who turned out to be an understanding nice lady. She knew of no rules règarding having firearms there and i talked with her about laws and why i open carry. I asked if i needed to leave because i wasnt going to remove my firearm or if i could do my shopping and i was not asked to leave. She was interested in learning more about firearms laws to and told me she would get back to me. I finished my shopping with out an incident.

More tomorrow gotta sleep work starts early

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Sounds like the person in charge wasn't going to trample on anybody's rights, so that's good. The only time I was talked to by the Corvallis farmer's market person in charge was when I was handing out Ron Paul flyers (while OCing). She didn't want me distributing information in the main walkway of the market. Sometimes it's that other right people want to infringe on.

hermannr

Not very OC friendly. Ive taken my 2 young sons to the market 3 weekends now. the first weekend we went was a month ago. I OCed as usual. Not one word. Looked everywhere for signs prohibiting firearms and couldnt find one. Anywhere. The next weekend i was out of town and didnt make it but last weekend was the first encounter. I was doing my shopping OCing like always when this older tall gentleman approaches me wanting to talk. I obliged and he informed me i wasn't allowed to have my firearm there. I asked if it was the cultural center rules he said it was. After talking to him a moment about the laws and why i open carry, i got a directions to go to find someone in charge.
I found my way inside (rather difficult wit a double stroller :)) to the info center that was run by some prety old ladys. I asked the one behind the counter for the property manager and she couldn't hear me so she ended up right in front of the stroller. I still had sto speek up and asked again for the property manager. The lady questioned why so i informed her i was told i couldn't OC my firearm. She just about **** herself... she started backing up and caused a little panic in the info room which cleared it most the way out. After she was about as far away as she could get i finally got a name and location for the PM.
I found the PM who turned out to be an understanding nice lady. She knew of no rules règarding having firearms there and i talked with her about laws and why i open carry. I asked if i needed to leave because i wasnt going to remove my firearm or if i could do my shopping and i was not asked to leave. She was interested in learning more about firearms laws to and told me she would get back to me. I finished my shopping with out an incident.

More tomorrow gotta sleep work starts early

Didn't sound like the market was unfriendly, just some of the people there. You will find those types everywhere, even out here in the sticks...just as long as they are not ruling the roost, I ignore them. Hand them out an OC brochure

nny420

sat. the 30th

Went again to do my shopping at the farmers market. Second stall in the lady running the market makes her way over to me and tells me, "you were told last week your not allowed to have your firearm". I replied "ok whos in charge around here?" Apparently she was and we had a decent conversation for the most part. I brought up i open carry legally to provide immediate defense of my childen and myself. I informed her of the laws in oregon and and she stuck to her guns saying its been a rule and that it will be posted soon. I told her i searched the night before for any rules regarding firearms on there website and found none. No posted signs too. So "can i continue to open carry untill its posted?". She reluctantly agreed but then i asked if she would like to see my chl for her curiosity and she lightened up and was excited cause she had never seen one before. I am also thinking of bringing this issue upto the board of directors for the farmers market.
So all in all i think it might become a non OC place. Good thing i can cc.

bigtoe416

How could it become a non-OC place? Is it held on private property?

nny420

not 100% sure

Its held on the lawn of the lincoln city cultural center... not sure but i thought its technically private property.

Dogbait

http://www.lincolncityfarmersmarket.org/

They added a friendly notice about OCing.. ;)

1. The market is a family event and is a non-smoking market. If you need to smoke please do so in the parking lot behind the Culture Center.
2. There is absolutely NO OPEN CARRYING OF FIRE ARMS within the market. This is for everyone's safety.
3. We welcome your pets into the market but please remember that they are required to be under control and on a leash at all times. Please be mindful of your pets and keep them out of the food booths and away from the vendor's displays as they are not there for your pet to mark its territory on. If you need a pet waste disposal bag the market does have some available if needed.

The property is used by the Lincoln City Cultural Center and is leased from Lincoln City (Info). It appears that Lincoln City Farmers Market uses the property for their event but is separate from the Lincoln City Cultural Center organization.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Well technically they have restricted "fire arms" which I'm sure has something to do with arms and fire. So the market, which is only there for a few hours on one day a week is using the lawn which is leased by the cultural center and owned by the city. It sounds like the cultural center could possibly ask people to leave, but the farmer's market itself shouldn't be able to ask anybody to leave since they aren't the owners or agents for the owners. If I wasn't two hours away from Lincoln City you'd better believe I'd be at the next farmer's market with my sidearm prominently displayed.

nny420

letter to bod

I would like to give the Lincoln City Farmers Market Board of Directors a formal complaint and would like to petition the right to open carry my choice of personal defence as allowed by the 2nd amendment and by oregon statute 166.170 State preemption.*
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.*********
(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

I am responsible for the safety of my children and myself from any and all possible aggressors. I cannot and will not leave that responsibility up to the local law enforcment officers, nor will i feel safe that the farmers market can or will be prepared to defend my children's lives or mine from danger.

I understand that most people are not accustomed to seeing firearms in public but that doesn't mean its wrong or illegal. Why couldn't there be some educational opportunities at the local PUBLIC farmers market about firearm safety, laws, and info on shooting activities as well as self defence. Instead of encouraging people to stay scared and ignorant of their rights and the law.

Thank you for your consideration,
Xxxxxx Xxxxxx

bigtoe416

I wouldn't send the letter. Keep carrying and see what they do. They can say, "You can't do that here" all they like but until they get the land owner to trespass you then they really haven't taken any action against you. Plus you know there is a high likelihood that the farmer's market board of directors is composed of blue-haired liberals that are going to relish telling an evil practicer of rights to keep his gun at home.

nny420

posted sign

I dont believe i can shop there once its posted on their sign. I will be letting the stall owners ive met know the farmers market will be effecting their buisness.

MKEgal

nny420 said:
Second stall in the lady running the market makes her way over to me and tells me, "you were told last week your [sic] not allowed to have your firearm".
I replied "ok whos [sic] in charge around here?"
You know who's in charge, & you spoke with her last time, & she knows that you're perfectly welcome & legal to be there.
If it happens again, take the objectionable person along with you to the property manager & get them straightened out right there.
Try this:
"Your preference goes against the policy stated to me by the property manager. Let's go talk with her together so she can explain it to us."

I told her i searched the night before for any rules regarding firearms on there website and found none. No posted signs too. So "can i continue to open carry untill its posted?"
:banghead: :cuss:
And that's exactly what they did!

I suggest we take advantage of their stated wish:
I'm starting a post on their FB page.
Come join the fun!

bigtoe416

I dont believe i can shop there once its posted on their sign.

Let's suppose you do shop there even though their sign says no open carry allowed. What could happen?

1. They can tell you that you can't shop there with your firearm openly carried, but that has no force of law and unless they follow you around and prevent the vendors from selling you goods then you can successfully buy what you came for.
  2. They could trespass you, but (as I said before) they aren't the property owner or even the agent for the cultural center, so they have as much right to kick somebody off the property as somebody having a birthday party there. They'd have to have the appropriate person trespass you.
  3. They could ignore you and hope you go away.
  4. They could ignore you for now but pay lots of money to hire a lawyer who will likely tell them that they need to convince the city or the cultural center to trespass you.

I'd say options 1, 3, and 4 are "wins". Even if you're trespassed, if they need to pay hundreds of dollars to figure out how to do it then that's the cost of keeping certain people out of their market. Even if they don't hire a lawyer and instead call the cops who tell them that they can't trespass somebody, they are wasting their own time to try to deal with you. A supreme court case I think is somewhat relevant is Pruneyard v. Robins, which held that individuals could distribute flyers in a mall without needing approval from the mall owners. There was also an Oklahoma Supreme Court ruling that said employers couldn't ban employees from keeping firearms in their car. Are these the same thing? No, but they do show the propensity of courts to not always bow down to property owners wanting to restrict people practicing their rights.

VW_Factor

I wouldn't worry about a sign either. They can "inform" you via the sign, that they don't allow something. But they'd still have to press trespassing as an issue, which if they don't own or act as agents of the owner for the property.. Is going to be quite difficult.

hermannr

How do they think they can tresspass you on open air public property. OC is a legal activity...What are they thinking.

Come up and shop at the Tonasket Farmers market...they won't hassel you here.

bigtoe416

I had emailed the farmer's market a week ago. The subject of my email was, "No open carrying of fire arms?" and the body was, "What's this all about?"

Here is the response, which is hilarious:

Dear Sir, MY name is Paul Mistretta, I am the current president of the board of directors of the Lincoln City Farmers and Crafter's Market. It is the policy of the board of directors and the market in general to keep political arguments out of the market arena, and to be as non political as possible. Our policy is in no way a statement on second amendment rights, it is a matter of public safety, and in as such we have decided to eliminate the open carrying of firearms from the market premises. Do remember that we have the right to limit what happens when we rent the space from the Cultural center as far as behavior of vendors and shoppers as well. We would like to make this as positive an experience as it can be for all concerned, and the brandishing of firearms even in a holster in our estimation is an invitation for a disaster that we would rather avoid. If you expect us to respect your rights, then in turn you have to respect ours. The property is posted at all entrances as to our open carry policy, I would hope you can see it within yourself to respect our private property rights as we respect your second amendment rights. Remember you are not the only on this effects, there is the public at large that can not be protected if the firearm is drawn.

Thank you very much for your attention in this matter.

Can't make this stuff up.

Cremator75

So apparently a conceald firearm can't be drawn? They only are limiting OC, not CC. I wonder what they would think if they found out people were still CC'ing in the market?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dogbait

I had emailed the farmer's market a week ago. The subject of my email was, "No open carrying of fire arms?" and the body was, "What's this all about?"

Here is the response, which is hilarious:

Can't make this stuff up.

They're consuming too much sea water.

:confused: :banghead: :beer:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk