• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting convo/encounter at Sonic

Torquemaster69

Been OCing only a couple days and already had a interesting time at the Sonic on Main St. off of 85/87 in Security on 07/01/2012. I ordered my food (I am a frequent customer) and was sitting in the little eating area they had when I was approached by one of the employees (A friend of mine and President of the car club I'm in). He started asking me questions about my pistol. What kind it was and whether I needed papers to make it legal to OC. I told him the only time you would need something like a permit for a weapon would be if you were CC, and since I wasn't, I wasn't perfectly legal. He seemed very interested because he had been looking at a pistol for himself because he is about to get married and is taking care of a child that isn't even his (True measure of a man right there in my opinion). But as were were talking, a few more people showed up and took notice of my pistol because I was showing him how to take it apart and such, and they too started asking questions. Again, same thing....OC is perfectly legal in certain areas unless it is around a school, government buildings etc, etc, etc. It was kinda neat that there was a crown around me while I was trying to eat and asking question. Curiosity is a hell of a thing, especially if there is genuine interest and a willingness to learn. I thought it was my good deed for the awareness of the 2nd Amendment. :cool:

rscottie

Welcome to OC.

I live in KY and we can also carry openly with no permit which is something that many in other states would love to do.

I CC more than OC, mainly due to my job and such, but I OC on weekends.

I would caution you that, while it does not sound as though you alarmed anyone, there are a few things to keep in mind.

One thing is that when you OC, your firearm should never leave the holster unless needed for self defense. This will lessen the chance of an accidental discharge as well as spooking the ones observing from a distance that may not react well seeing you draw your firearm. Those types are the first ones to call the police and say a man with a gun is at wherever and he just took his gun out of the holster.

That would bring unwanted attention to you for sure.

As much as I understand you wanting to show someone else your firearm, it is best to keep it holstered.

Happy OC'ing!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pardner!
Never draw unless you need to defend yourself (or are practicing your draw with a cleared weapon).
Don't draw in a public situation unless your life depends on it.
Don't get yourself a 'brandishing' charge.
Leave it in the holster.
Just an FYI.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

O2HeN2

Let me add my voice to the choir -- never, ever unholster your firearm unless you intend to use it! In addition to brandishing, there's always the chance of an ND -- as happened about a year ago killing a young woman on the other side of a wall at a church.

If he's a friend have him over or go over to his house and show off the 'farm in a controlled environment where you can keep it pointed in a safe direction.

O2

Torquemaster69

Hahaha.....I just now noticed what I did. I blame the early morning typing. I showed him how it comes apart, not because I unholstered it, but through a video because I always have my laptop with me and downloaded the video because when I first got the pistol from my brother, I wanted to learn it maintenance. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Bellum_Intus

Hahaha.....I just now noticed what I did. I blame the early morning typing. I showed him how it comes apart, not because I unholstered it, but through a video because I always have my laptop with me and downloaded the video because when I first got the pistol from my brother, I wanted to learn it maintenance. Sorry for the misunderstanding

*whew* .. :p

--Rob

AcePlayerDeluxe

Wowser.. I was in the same boat as everyone else!!! I thought you unholstered.

I live around that area. If you are ever in the area again let me know and we can meet up. OC of course.

Keens

When I read this post this morning, I almost spewed my coffee all over the computer. Glad you cleared that up! I don't even put my hand on my sidearm when I'm out in public unless I really have to. I don't want people to get the impression that I'm about to draw when I'm just resting my hand. I use my sidearm as an elbow rest all the time, especially if I'm in a crowded area or in line at the store.

AcePlayerDeluxe

I am planning on going back to Sonic again tomorrow for lunch anyways. It is the one on Main Street next to the Albertsons if you want to meet up

I'll be at work tomorrow. Just keep me updated. If we don't get up with each other anytime soon Im sure we will meet at one of the big M&Gs