• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

<rant> - 10 day cooling off period

Automatica

This doesn't make sense to me, probably never will. I called my local gun shop, which has a snub nosed, 357 Smith & Wesson I recently purchased. It's on hold for the mandatory California 10 day cooling off period. This gun shop has an indoor range. I asked them if I could put a few rounds through the weapon on their range and then return it back to them for the rest of the 10 day cooling off period.

I had a reason for this, a 357 snub nosed revolver is going to pack a lot of "wallop" factor. There's a good chance that after shooting it I would want to change the grips on it with something a bit better/something that would fit the hand. It feels like it would fit fine right now, but the one concern is the grip stops at about half way down my little finger. I figured why wait to get potential gun work on it done when I could test fire it really quickly and get that work done while in the waiting period. Multitasking is great right?

Apparently I can't do that. This state sucks. </rant>

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
This doesn't make sense to me, probably never will. I called my local gun shop, which has a snub nosed, 357 Smith & Wesson I recently purchased. It's on hold for the mandatory California 10 day cooling off period. This gun shop has an indoor range. I asked them if I could put a few rounds through the weapon on their range and then return it back to them for the rest of the 10 day cooling off period.

I had a reason for this, a 357 snub nosed revolver is going to pack a lot of "wallop" factor. There's a good chance that after shooting it I would want to change the grips on it with something a bit better/something that would fit the hand. It feels like it would fit fine right now, but the one concern is the grip stops at about half way down my little finger. I figured why wait to get potential gun work on it done when I could test fire it really quickly and get that work done while in the waiting period. Multitasking is great right?

Apparently I can't do that. This state sucks. </rant>

a state specific rant that doesn't specify what state this happened in - in the social lounge. nice.

edit:

cooling off periods seem to only make people angry.

Last edited:

()pen(arry

Does your gun store allow the rental or borrowing of sale pieces? Also, this.

Look, I get it, and I agree that it's maddening, infuriating, apoplexy-inducing, and more. Honestly, though, can this be surprising enough that it's worth a rant? I was told, on Thursday, that I can be taxed for not "donating" money to a political party, if Congress, composed [currently mostly] of the sort of folk whom certain folk on this forum think are worth voting for, decides I'm going to participate in politics anyway. I'm pretty sure that's more rant-worthy.

Regardless, that sucks balls, man. I wish they'd just let you have the gun that they're going to let you have anyway. It's not like it takes 10 days to find out if someone is disqualified. Just ask the cops.

Dreamer

We have similar laws here in MD.

You can go to a range and buy ammo and rent a gun with no background check.

But if you want to BUY a handgun, it's a 7-day waiting period, and the "background check" is essentially at the whim of the Maryland State Police, and they usually take 7 BUSINESS days, which ends up being 9-11 calendar days.

And yet, MD has a violent crime rate that is 40% higher than the national average, and Baltimore's violent crime rate is over 300% higher than the national average.

Meanwhile, across the river in VA, just a few miles away, you can walk out of a gun store with a handgun in under an hour--faster if you have a VA carry permit.

"Gun Control" laws only serve to penalize and frustrate law-abiding citizens...

Jack House

I was told, on Thursday, that I can be taxed for not "donating" money to a political party, if Congress, composed [currently mostly] of the sort of folk whom certain folk on this forum think are worth voting for, decides I'm going to participate in politics anyway. I'm pretty sure that's more rant-worthy.
Huh? That massive run on sentenced hurted my poor little ailment addled brain. :(

I think you mean it's more rage inducing that California forces you, at gunpoint, to play craps with loaded dice or pay a fine?

()pen(arry

Huh? That massive run on sentenced hurted my poor little ailment addled brain. :(

How is it a run-on sentence? It only contains a single independent clause, and the dependent clauses are properly punctuated. Let's parse that sentence:

Code:
I was told <independent clause IC1>
    on Thursday <adjectival phrase AP1:IC1>
that I can be taxed for not "donating" money to a political party <IC1>
    if Congress <dependent clause DC1:IC1>
        composed <dependent clause DC2:DC1>
            currently mostly <adjectival phrase AP2:DC2>
        of the sort of folk whom certain folk on this forum think are worth voting for <DC2>
    decides I'm going to participate in politics anyway. <DC1>

So the independent clause, with dependent clauses and adjectival phrases removed, would be:
Code:
I was told that I can be taxed for not "donating" money to a political party

The adjectival clause which is the primary modifier of the independent clause, with dependent clauses and adjectival phrases removed, is:
Code:
, if Congress decides I'm going to participate in politics anyway.

I recommend that you not try to tackle David Hume. His clause-stacking is overwhelming at times.

I think you mean it's more rage inducing that California forces you, at gunpoint, to play craps with loaded dice or pay a fine?

No, I mean that the SCOTUS decision that the federal government can coercively tax me for not doing what they want me to do is more rage-inducing than not being able to rent a salable gun in California.

86 slo-vo

I walked out with my m&p in 20 minutes, 10 of that was a background check. So once I get my CCDW it should be about 10 minutes.

Gotta love Kentucky!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

badger54

I walked out with a new gun today. Probably took me 5 minutes to fill in the paperwork before I was out the door with the gun in hand. The ten day cooling off period had no logical purpose IMO.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

sharkey

I walked out with a new gun today. Probably took me 5 minutes to fill in the paperwork before I was out the door with the gun in hand. The ten day cooling off period had no logical purpose IMO.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

That's just putting salt in his wound..... :mad:

How is it a run-on sentence? It only contains a single independent clause, and the dependent clauses are properly punctuated. Let's parse that sentence:

Code:
I was told <independent clause IC1>
    on Thursday <adjectival phrase AP1:IC1>
that I can be taxed for not "donating" money to a political party <IC1>
    if Congress <dependent clause DC1:IC1>
        composed <dependent clause DC2:DC1>
            currently mostly <adjectival phrase AP2:DC2>
        of the sort of folk whom certain folk on this forum think are worth voting for <DC2>
    decides I'm going to participate in politics anyway. <DC1>

So the independent clause, with dependent clauses and adjectival phrases removed, would be:
Code:
I was told that I can be taxed for not "donating" money to a political party

The adjectival clause which is the primary modifier of the independent clause, with dependent clauses and adjectival phrases removed, is:
Code:
, if Congress decides I'm going to participate in politics anyway.

I recommend that you not try to tackle David Hume. His clause-stacking is overwhelming at times.

No, I mean that the SCOTUS decision that the federal government can coercively tax me for not doing what they want me to do is more rage-inducing than not being able to rent a salable gun in California.

Despite you best intentions to the contrary, earlier today, that your sentence did not "run-on", if forum members, composed [currently mostly] of the sort of folk whom certain folk outside of this forum think lack a master's in English, decide it's a run-on sentence anyways, filled with unnecessary superfluous redundant prose.

That gave me a headache, I'm not sure it even made sense; I put the redundant stuff in because I could :p

Automatica

Only two more days... and thanks for the suggestions guys. I did try but no luck convincing them to let me fire on their range in order to figure out if I need to change out grips. Bummer, but fortunately work kicked up enough to take my mind off it for a bit this week.

a state specific rant that doesn't specify what state this happened in - in the social lounge. nice.

See reply below yours or the little location tag to the left. Location tag to left is typically good, unless it says something like Mars. Common sense and situational awareness are typically your friend. :lol:

I walked out with my m&p in 20 minutes, 10 of that was a background check. So once I get my CCDW it should be about 10 minutes.

I walked out with a new gun today. Probably took me 5 minutes to fill in the paperwork before I was out the door with the gun in hand.

Got to love that, states respecting the second amendment... but with all due respect you both suck. Thanks for sharing though. :lol:

Last edited:

WOD

What was irritating to me when I bought my M70AB2 (long gun), was I had to wait. Here I am at the counter, with my holstered G21 on my hip, and a CPL, but I had to wait for a long gun? What's up with that?

Automatica

What was irritating to me when I bought my M70AB2 (long gun), was I had to wait. Here I am at the counter, with my holstered G21 on my hip, and a CPL, but I had to wait for a long gun? What's up with that?

I feel your pain there, but let me reassure you... a 357 S&W snub nose still makes a big boom.

I'm totally cooled off now. :banana:

Sonora Rebel

Consider the mind-set projection of the 'cooling off' idea. Those who ascribe to this term seem to think (or imply) that anyone buying a handgun is going to use it to blow somebody away immediately. Is this what they'd do if they had a gun?

These are the people entrusted with making public policy? Or... is it just grandstanding to the unwashed mouth breathers of the California (et al) electorate?

Automatica

These kinds of laws accomplish nothing

Sure they do. IMHO they convince the criminals to buy unregistered weapons (like usual) and potentially drive otherwise law abiding citizens to the same places to get said guns as they're tired of all the regulatory crapola and just want to shoot the handgun they walked in with intention of owning. I could see that easily happening as a consequence of these stupid laws.

A lot of people have the attitude of "why bother messing with the system" and will just take short cuts. I'll continue using the system as I'm a law abiding citizen... but man this next firearms purchase is going to be a pain in the derrière with the waiting period. Once I get some good bonus money coming in from work, it's going to a shotgun for bird hunting (probably a Remington 870). I'm hoping the 10 day cooling off period doesn't apply to long guns, as I love my outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, backpacking). It's my only place to regain sanity in this state.

Last edited: