• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry encounter at the Police Station

LoneEchoWolf

In Nevada, carry is only prohibited in:

Federal Buildings (including post office),

Schools - NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility.

Other public buildings - NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building. Notice it says "concealed", not all.

Private property owner/manager may ask you to leave. Signs have no weight of law. If you refuse to leave you may be charged with trespass.

Buildings "occupied" by Government agencies are considered public, no matter if they own or lease the building. You cannot be trespassed from a public building. These are some of the issues we are dealing with. Legally open carrying in a public building. The first thing they throw at you is NRS 202.3673 . But it only applies to "concealed" carry. The try to include open carry "within the spirit of the law". But it's NOT the law.

We know they don't like it, but we also don't like it when they rewrite the laws to meet their agenda. Enforce the laws as written.

Wow looks like Nevada is in a serious need of change, but the way your going about it looks strange to onlookers, Instead of waiting this long to calmly explain why and what your goals are, your in your face, "freaking out" on anyone that says otherwise. you should maybe start with explaining a few things, mostly if your going to be posting these things in other states which have other laws. Maybe like the laws your having a issue with and how you plan on going about getting things accomplished instead of trying to just use a YT video that comes off all wrong. i thought that was the point of these forums is to get people in the know and maybe to have them help you out, not cause issues and make things look bad for everyone. I'm not meaning the person I'm quoting specifically i mean everyone thats posted about this already. Going about this all wrong. Hope you get things accomplished, apparently you guys do it completely different than us.

Last edited:

usmcmustang

i know im posting alot, but something came to mind. 29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

as ive said before thats Colorado law, i dont know what your wording in Nevada is but in Colorado you were breaking the law. there were Signs on all entrances and exits.

Other than some "grandfathered" county/city/town ordinances relative to firearm registration, here is the "wording." As you can see, NO local government here in Nevada can do what evidently is being done in Colorado... sad "state of affairs" there with respect to the 2A. Our Legislature has reserved for itself all matters relating to the bearing of arms (with the "registration" exception and that's being worked on). And there are NO state laws affecting open carry... the only state laws in effect are those relating to concealed carry... and that's what these STUPID signs make reference to... attempting to "fool" the public about what is and is not LAWFUL with respect to open carry.

NRS 244.364Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain firearms in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

NRS 268.418Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

NRS
269.222Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in town in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no town may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

Last edited:

wrightme

A goverment building Such as a POST OFFICE is public building then too, and you cant OC in the Postoffice, the Social Security Admin is a "Public" building that has no Weapon signs posted all over it and you cant carry in there...

Cite where your getting this info please?

There is specific federal statute addressing that prohibition, it isn't automagic. But, since you point it out, it is up to you to cite that authority. Can you cite the statute that prohibits carry in the Post office?

wrightme

i know im posting alot, but something came to mind. 29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

as ive said before thats Colorado law, i dont know what your wording in Nevada is but in Colorado you were breaking the law. there were Signs on all entrances and exits.

Then you should understand that unless such statute exists, it isn't prohibited. YOU are claiming it is prohibited, thus it is upon YOU to cite statute, not upon others.

LoneEchoWolf

Other than some "grandfathered" county/city/town ordinances relative to firearm registration, here is the "wording." As you can see, NO local government here in Nevada can do what evidently is being done in Colorado... sad "state of affairs" there with respect to the 2A. Our Legislature has reserved for itself all matters relating to the bearing of arms (with the "registration" exception and that's being worked on). And there are NO state laws affecting open carry... the only state laws in effect are those relating to concealed carry... and that's what these STUPID signs make reference to... attempting to "fool" the public about what is and is not LAWFUL with respect to open carry.

NRS 244.364Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain firearms in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

NRS 268.418Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

NRS
269.222Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in town in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no town may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

From reading these, not trying to start no more of a argument than already has been but, i see Firearm but i dont see any definition refering to either CC or OC just the broad definition of Firearms which is basicly everything. are you refering to some other statute that refers more to CC? just tryin to learn whats going on up there in a calm way.

wrightme

so i take it you do not have wording like the ordinance i posted below? if so the building even if owned by the State had signage up in the state or cites jurisdiction and thus making it illegal to carry into said building, some signs hold no power, some do. Anything "owned" by the state or city can ban OC where signs are posted. Do you or DO you not have a state preemption in your state with wording similar to what i posted below? We in Colorado Respect the Laws and have very few problems with restrictions aside from that black dot on the map called "Denver."

Cite? What statute do you claim does that in NV? The only applicable statute allows the prohibition of CC, not of OC.

LoneEchoWolf

Then you should understand that unless such statute exists, it isn't prohibited. YOU are claiming it is prohibited, thus it is upon YOU to cite statute, not upon others.

dude posted it in colorado, in which it is prohibited if signs are present in which i cited just a few above that

usmcmustang

Anything "owned" by the state or city can ban OC where signs are posted.

ONLY if there is a LAW (State Statute or County/City/Town Ordinance) that makes whatever the sign prohibits ILLEGAL. A State/County/City/Town PUBLIC facility may NOT simply put up any old sign and attempt to enforce it as IF it were LAW. Why is that so hard to understand? Even I, a self-admitted simpleton, am not having trouble understanding that.

wrightme

From reading these, not trying to start no more of a argument than already has been but, i see Firearm but i dont see any definition refering to either CC or OC just the broad definition of Firearms which is basicly everything. are you refering to some other statute that refers more to CC? just tryin to learn whats going on up there in a calm way.

Those specific statutes are the ONLY exemptions to state authority. The exemptions cover firearms. EVERYTHING ELSE except discharge in municipalities is reserved for state control through state statute only. That is what his post says.

The statute on existing 'firearms not allowed' signs is a CC statute, not an OC statute.

LoneEchoWolf

Cite? What statute do you claim does that in NV? The only applicable statute allows the prohibition of CC, not of OC.

didn't claim nothing if you continued reading, i asked if you had wording similar because i don't live there, thus i don't know. if he would have just posted in the right state, not all of them he could, this wouldn't of happened

LoneEchoWolf

Those specific statutes are the ONLY exemptions to state authority. The exemptions cover firearms. EVERYTHING ELSE except discharge in municipalities is reserved for state control through state statute only. That is what his post says.

The statute on existing 'firearms not allowed' signs is a CC statute, not an OC statute.

gotcha, thanks

wrightme

didn't claim nothing if you continued reading, i asked if you had wording similar because i don't live there, thus i don't know. if he would have just posted in the right state, not all of them he could, this wouldn't of happened

Yet you KNOW it was about NV, and you continue.

LoneEchoWolf

Yet you KNOW it was about NV, and you continue.

Well i wasnt going to be rude and not reply. but i guess thats another thing you do diffrently there than here. peace! and thats what i mean by going about things wrong, i could be a awesome advocate if you took the time to help out, but yet you go D**K mode and make me not care about your state what so ever.

Semper-Fi
~Wolf~

LoneEchoWolf

Yet you know it is in Nevada, and are arguing as if it were in Colorado, even though you KNOW otherwise. Why so argumentative?

Well frankly, there was no info along with it, no laws, no ordinances, no cites what so ever. so of course i fall back to our laws because thats what I'm familiar with. if you want people to know about your laws and what you want done, inform them. because if you don't, no one will.

wrightme

Well i wasnt going to be rude and not reply. but i guess thats another thing you do diffrently there than here. peace! and thats what i mean by going about things wrong, i could be a awesome advocate if you took the time to help out, but yet you go D**K mode and make me not care about your state what so ever.

Semper-Fi
~Wolf~

Huh? The CO members began that mode. That presented my question about how you treat visitors, whether it is by virtue of posting in that forum area or not.

wrightme

HAha well said rob. Just because the LEO was uneducated doesnt mean you should be, If it wasnt just about dinner time i bet i could jump on and find a Private Property law that is just about the same as Colorado, Here if your asked to leave, you leave, or your trespassing. Learn the Laws before trying to get hits on YT. makeing us all look bad.

Here is where you agreed with the first attack upon the OP, where you falsely believe that state offices are private property. You accuse the person of not knowing the laws, yet you misrepresent it from the start.

The public areas of police offices are public property. I see no way to misunderstand that as private property.

usmcmustang

Boy... I'm a simpleton... but your are DENSE.

The Nevada State Legislature has reserved for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, POSSESSION, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county, city, or town may infringe upon those rights and powers. In other words, if the State Legislature hasn't passed any laws... there AIN'T any !!!! And guess what? The only laws they have passed are concerning CONCEALED carry... NONE, NONE WHATSOEVER concerning OPEN carry. So... ALL the signs up on PUBLIC buildings here in Nevada that aren't subject to OTHER laws (Post Office, Schools, etc.) are plain FULL OF ****... they cannot restrict OPEN CARRY in those PUBLIC buildings.

Last edited: