• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry encounter at the Police Station

wrightme

well you see, since you don't have the same laws it makes no difference but at that time, with no info on your laws besides assuming its the same as Colorado because its posted there so it must have something in common he was nothing but a criminal, so ya, not so happy to greet a criminal with open arms, but since there was some explaining of your laws, and the way there trying to exploit them it makes more since. if your going to post something in another states forum just a word of advice either make sure the laws are the same so it would make since to post in it that state, or keep it to the states that its applicable

ASSuming isn't a good basis for discussion.

Claiming he is a criminal isn't valid without basis in law.

The laws don't need to be the same for relevance.

Dodoandduck

Yes, it takes a "certain" type individual like TigerLily, Dave, and Tim to stand up before those in "authority" who are intent on "criminalizing" lawful behavior. "Their cause?" I hope you meant "our" cause or at least "the" cause. And as for voting and legislation... that's already happened. Nevadans voted in legislators who legislated. The Legislature effected a State Law that reserved ALL things "gun" to the State Legislature... no local government has any authority in that arena. With that in mind, the State Legislature passed a law applying to the concealed carry of firearms. Somehow state and local government has seen fit to follow some "spirit" of that law to, in effect, make their own law as regards the open carry of firearms. What TigerLily, Dave, Tim and hopefully others are doing is EXPOSING, EXPOSING, EXPOSING. We, the people have that ability now through social media and we should take every advantage of it. Thank you TigerLily, Dave, and Tim.

Yes, I do mean "our" cause, however used "their" cause due to the "spirit" of this conversation originating in a Colorado forum where "our" cause may not be the same as "their" cause. I believe I have commended Tigerlily, Dave and Tim for their efforts to help us all. My comment about voting was directed at continuing to vote in individuals who will not, through their own agenda, erode away the laws and rights already abided to us by "our" constitution and who will continue to fight for "our" rights.

wrightme

Well good luck with the cause! and good luck in court! if before all the attitude and stuff was thrown around there was a site on pay pal to donate to the cause i would have prob donated what i could to help with court costs im sure most would have, just as i planned to have a trip to Nevada more specifically Vegas and spend quite a bit of cash while helping OC. Hope you guys get things figured out. you stay safe TBG.

Semper-Fi
~Wolf~

You were the SECOND one in this thread presenting the attitude, so claiming to do something before the attitude and stuff is self-defeating.

JoeSparky

Centurion
No, Joe... "the State of Nevada HAS done" pretty much nothing of the sort. The State of Nevada, through and by the State Legislature has reserved for itself most everything "gun." And so far, the only thing "gun" it has seen fit to legislate concerning is CONCEALED "gun" carry. Some state, county, city, and town bureaucrats and police forces, prosecutors, even judges have seen fit to "apply" that legislation apparently to OPEN "gun" carry. Some have gone as far as to say that "the spirit" of the CONCEALED "gun" carry law is to be extended to OPEN carry... and they're by damned gonna do just that. And, by saying and doing such, they have in effect CREATED a law of, for, and by their own. I'm sure the cops love that... the upstanding public servants they are. How's that for democracy at work, Joe?

This whole discussion is making me sick.

I will kindly disagree on this point... in the law allowing restrictions on "Concealed Carry" there is specific language for the posted sign to have upon it. The specified language makes NO reference to concealed ONLY carry.
I'll be back in a bit with a link, quote, or retraction.....

usmcmustang

I will kindly disagree on this point... in the law allowing restrictions on "Concealed Carry" there is specific language for the posted sign to have upon it. The specified language makes NO reference to concealed ONLY carry.

Yes, Joe... the statute re: concealed carrying has wording, maybe specific wording, for signage. That "wording" is IN the concealed carry statute. How in the world can it be inferred to prohibit OPEN CARRYING? If the state had a statute prohibiting swimming in the nude in public parks and posted signs that said "Swimming Prohibited," because the particular statute prohibiting swimming in the nude said that a sign displaying the words "Swimming Prohibited" could be displayed... would that make sense? Would you seem to believe that someone showing up to go swimming with their speedos on should be turned away because of the sign? Well, they're "almost" naked so let us enforce "the spirit" of the law... what a crock of $hit.

Eveofwar

Beat ya to it.

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of any public building.

2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of:

(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:

(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which the judge presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.

(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of a public building.

(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building.

(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.

5. A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.

6. As used in this section:

(a) “Child care facility” has the meaning ascribed to it in paragraph (a) of subsection 5 of NRS 202.265.

(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:

(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or

(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

Ê If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.

Last edited:

usmcmustang

Beat ya to it.

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of any public building.

2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of:

(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

I'll reply to this just as I did to Joe... anything and everything in this statute IS Concealed Carry LAW... doesn't apply to Open Carry... it CANNOT...

the statute re: concealed carrying has wording, maybe specific wording, for signage. That "wording" is IN the concealed carry statute. How in the world can it be inferred to prohibit OPEN CARRYING? If the state had a statute prohibiting swimming in the nude in public parks and posted signs that said "Swimming Prohibited," because the particular statute prohibiting swimming in the nude said that a sign displaying the words "Swimming Prohibited" could be displayed... would that make sense? Would you seem to believe that someone showing up to go swimming with their speedos on should be turned away because of the sign? Well, they're "almost" naked so let us enforce "the spirit" of the law... what a crock of $hit.

Eveofwar

I'll reply to this just as I did to Joe... anything and everything in this statute IS Concealed Carry LAW... doesn't apply to Open Carry... it CANNOT...

the statute re: concealed carrying has wording, maybe specific wording, for signage. That "wording" is IN the concealed carry statute. How in the world can it be inferred to prohibit OPEN CARRYING? If the state had a statute prohibiting swimming in the nude in public parks and posted signs that said "Swimming Prohibited," because the particular statute prohibiting swimming in the nude said that a sign displaying the words "Swimming Prohibited" could be displayed... would that make sense? Would you seem to believe that someone showing up to go swimming with their speedos on should be turned away because of the sign? Well, they're "almost" naked so let us enforce "the spirit" of the law... what a crock of $hit.

I was agreeing with ya buddy =]

They can't ban OC under a CC law...

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

It turns out the OP works nights. As I am sipping my coffee and reading this I get concerned, Thank you to everyone who Cited and Straightened out the legal points. I learned a little about forum etiquette, I did post in I believe 4 states. I thought the 4 states I chose were in approxamatly the same mindset we are in in Nevada. I was wrong.
The sign that the officers were referring to was a image of a pistol with a circle an a line through it The sign was insufficiant to ban CC in the building much less OC.

There was much to do about us "antagonizing" " harrassing" Or otherwise giving the officers a hard time. I would like to know where it says their job is to be easy? mine isn't, there is no one running around to make sure I don't have a bad day. At the end of the day I was excercising my second ammendment, as well as my right to redress grievences, I was under the impression that the second amendment applied to Colorado as well, so I posted there.

Is it strange that out of the 4 states, the only anger I saw came out of Colorado.....Hmmmm!

I will tell you that I do not just wake up one day and decide to go "prancing" on someones wheaties. I am an active letter writer and am prepared to back it up hence the reason we were there. The video did look a little commercial but it was a big step up froom the raw footage ( my first encounter streaming on line) I also had an opportunity to discuss this incident with A METRO member about five layers up from the supervisor that was at the encounter, (we have coffee from time to time) we talked about the propensity for law enforcement to escalate instead of de- escalate. This situation demonstrates that exquisetly. Metro has asked for help in the way of a workshop or something.

Some of the guys in Colorado may think this is bad for us but I believe that it helps both the OC community, as well as LEO's if used as a learning tool. Thats how we roll.

IN LIBERTY,

JoeSparky

Centurion
Yes, Joe... the statute re: concealed carrying has wording, maybe specific wording, for signage. That "wording" is IN the concealed carry statute. How in the world can it be inferred to prohibit OPEN CARRYING? If the state had a statute prohibiting swimming in the nude in public parks and posted signs that said "Swimming Prohibited," because the particular statute prohibiting swimming in the nude said that a sign displaying the words "Swimming Prohibited" could be displayed... would that make sense? Would you seem to believe that someone showing up to go swimming with their speedos on should be turned away because of the sign? Well, they're "almost" naked so let us enforce "the spirit" of the law... what a crock of $hit.

I don't believe that I was confused. Yep, I understand where you are coming from with a law restricting "concealed carry" and a sign "prohibiting weapons" In the posted law I was refering to the bolded portion in 3b.... I agree.... CONCEALED is NOT Open carry and Open carry is NOT concealed yet the sign requested by the statute refers to ALL WEAPONS in a section specific to CONCEALED CARRY RESTRICTIONS.

And this was an action by the Nevada State Legislature if I am not mistaken...

Forgive my inability to successfully mention the ridiculousness of a sign banning "all firearms" in a piece of law specific to CONCEALED CARRY ONLY restrictions.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

ASSuming isn't a good basis for discussion.

Claiming he is a criminal isn't valid without basis in law.

The laws don't need to be the same for relevance.

No Colorado doesn't have Laws banning just any public buildings from OC or CC but those buildings that have signs on all Entrances and exits, or permanent security devices I.E. Courthouses, federal buildings (but thats federal laws) Our police station (here at least) doesn't have signs up so its a none issue. And if he were to do that in Colorado where signs are clearly visible, it would be illegal for him to enter any Government Ran building that has no weapon signs posted on all entrances and exits and i believe i cited that in a few posts IN COLORADO, so in Colorado YES he would have been a criminal for that. Just as he assumed we in Colorado had similar laws i Assumed the same thing. Its not like i got up in the morning and wanted to start a fight, i was basing my reply on the same thing he based his OP on, thinking we had similar laws. And as for the attitude i was referring to, yes i was rude to a alleged criminal because at that time, as far as i was aware he was breaking laws, on video. as i said before, instead of just throwing a video up with no reference to laws and just assume that it stands for everyone is foolish, then getting angry and rude because in Colorado the laws are different and was taken wrong instead of calm explaining what your laws are as opposed to ours is the wrong way to handle things. yes of course i was defending my State you would not believe how many people post crap that makes ALL OC look bad regardless of where you live. chalk this up to a learning experience, Ive learned that your laws are much different than ours, which i didn't know before because i never lived there. and that i should maybe be a bit more stand off about my way of replying since some people cannot calmly explain there cause no matter what.

FallonJeeper

The funny thing is, there are Sheriffs office buildings (Churchill County to name one) where the sign is posted "no firearms" and others that allow open carry (Lyon County Silver Springs sub station to name one).

My question is if some offices get it, why can't all of them get it?

Merlin

The funny thing is, there are Sheriffs office buildings (Churchill County to name one) where the sign is posted "no firearms" and others that allow open carry (Lyon County Silver Springs sub station to name one).

My question is if some offices get it, why can't all of them get it?

It's all about the mindset of the elected officials and bureaucrats. This is why it is so important to find people who "get it" to elect into offices. Like Tim.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

FallonJeeper

It's all about the mindset of the elected officials and bureaucrats. This is why it is so important to find people who "get it" to elect into offices. Like Tim.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

There is some truth to that. The Sheriff is an elected official. But most of the people "enforcing" the laws or misinterpreting the laws are not.

Shoobee

I'll chime in just briefly. I was born and raised in Southern California, I lived in Colorado for a few years, and now live in the Las Vegas area.

I see no reason to bash the poster from California, their rights have been trampled over years, facilitated by voters who don't care about their own rights enough to protect the rights of all. Though CCW "DOES" exist in California, unless you live in a rural area or are very good buddies with the local authority, you will NEVER be granted. That's why the application is only $10 (or something close to that). Cause they don't expect too many people to bitch about losing $10.

As for Colorado, with the exception of Denver, LEO's are greatly respected and project respect on the general populice. Communities are just that, Communities.

We in Nevada have unfortunately been nearly overun with California escapees who may have found it hard to shed their brainwashed ideas about many topics, firearms being a major one. The rural areas of Nevada still have the quality of rights and respect those of us in Clark County are working to get back. I personally wouldn't take the somewhat aggressivve approach Tigerlily and Donttreadonme take, but I can respect the personal risks they take for their cause. I am one who would see more benefit in effecting change through voting, legislation, and petitioning, in part due to seeing how California reacted when their hands were forced and knowing how much of that mentality exists in Nevada today.

Nevada is a beautiful state. Especially Tahoe and Reno. Vegas also.

Some day when I retire from this California rat hole I will probably move to a shall-issue state.

Its no wonder Nevada gets overrun.

:D

Vegassteve

I do love OC. Don't get me wrong.

But I believe there is a time and a place for it.

Yes there is, all the time and every place. There is no exception in the 2nd none. No one gets you wrong, we know where you stand. This is a forum for those that support and fight for our rights, not just part time rights. We dont need people who think like you in Nevada. We dont need you and your time and place crap, infecting our state.

I do love OC. Don't get me wrong.

But I believe there is a time and a place for it.

Another typical refugee from Commiefornia with the idea that part times rights are just fine.

We have some of those move to rural MO where we enjoy firearms and the first damn thing they do is start trying to impose their oppressive ideas on the free citizens of MO. So we generally we give them the stay the hell out of our business and go elsewhere treatment.