• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stumped at McDonalds

Bellum_Intus

Had a lol moment at McDonalds today..

Went to lunch at my normal McDonalds on Purcell / hwy 50 near the office .. all's well ..

Walked up to the *new* cashier, she couldn't have been a day over 17..

She looked at me, looked at the 92FS, back at me, back at the FS, back at me and said .. not "how can I help you" .. but..

Cashier: "Are you a cop?"
Me: "nope, just a normal guy"
Cashier: "but you have a gun"
Me: "I do indeed"
Cashier: [smiling] "Is that allowed?"
Me: .. hesitates, as I've never been asked that is such a naive way... "(laughs) Of course it is, In Colorado it's not illegal to open carry a firearm"
Cashier: "realllllly? Thats soooo cool!, I didn't know!" .. "oh, did you want to order?"

I thought this interesting not because she didn't know, but because the assumption with most of society is either you are a cop, or a bad guy if you carry.. not much in between, anyway, was a good interaction, sent her to opencarry.org for information because she wanted to run home and tell her father about how she saw a guy carrying a gun.. lol ..

--Rob

VW_Factor

Public perception is BGs don't open carry in holsters (which has proven true, as they don't like attention). They wave them around in a threatening manner while robbing, maiming, etc.

Good guys (LEOs, etc) OC in holsters given the mistaken assumptions.

Bellum_Intus

Public perception is BGs don't open carry in holsters (which has proven true, as they don't like attention). They wave them around in a threatening manner while robbing, maiming, etc.

Good guys (LEOs, etc) OC in holsters given the mistaken assumptions.

I think she knew I wasn't a 'bad guy' , just an observation I made with regard to the ignorance of the fact that you don't need to be a LEO to carry a firearm..
Perhaps I mis-stated the assumption comment.

--Rob

Last edited:

Keens

Nobody ever says anything to me about my openly carried sidearm :( Although I did get the NASTIEST stinkeye while out to dinner to celebrate my fiancee's birthday tonight. It actually scared me haha!

Sounds like you had a good encounter, Rob!

Keens

Bellum_Intus

Nobody ever says anything to me about my openly carried sidearm :( Although I did get the NASTIEST stinkeye while out to dinner to celebrate my fiancee's birthday tonight. It actually scared me haha!

Sounds like you had a good encounter, Rob!

Keens

Was a good opportunity to talk about OC and educate at least one more person!

--Rob

porterhouse83

very cool experience! I posted on another site about a similar experience I had and got attacked by a army of CC telling me they wouldn't want me talking to their kids and that I am a bad reflection of the gun community lol. Glad you were able to educate someone bud.

Bellum_Intus

That's the most common first question I've received over the last 2.3 years. :)

heh.. yea.. me too, that wasn't what stumped me, it was the puppy dog look and the "is that allowed" question.. it was just .. gah, don't know how to explain.. just had me stumped for a moment haha!

--Rob

since9

Campaign Veteran
heh.. yea.. me too, that wasn't what stumped me, it was the puppy dog look and the "is that allowed" question.. it was just .. gah, don't know how to explain.. just had me stumped for a moment haha!

--Rob

I recall a few burbles in the beginning. Practicing all over these forums have helped me have some pat answers ready. What I don't get is why they ask that when I look nothing like a cop. Ponytail? Not in a uniform? Overweight?

What I'd really like to ask in response to "Are you a cop?" is "You're joking, right?"

Wouldn't exactly help our cause, though. :)

Bellum_Intus

I recall a few burbles in the beginning. Practicing all over these forums have helped me have some pat answers ready. What I don't get is why they ask that when I look nothing like a cop. Ponytail? Not in a uniform? Overweight?

What I'd really like to ask in response to "Are you a cop?" is "You're joking, right?"

Wouldn't exactly help our cause, though. :)

Hey do you have a truck? lol!! =p

I tried to shove 15 2x4's into my car.. didn't work..

--Rob

Maine Expat

very cool experience! I posted on another site about a similar experience I had and got attacked by a army of CC telling me they wouldn't want me talking to their kids and that I am a bad reflection of the gun community lol. Glad you were able to educate someone bud.

One citizen (and mind) at a time. Eventually we will have assimilated all into the OC collective. :eek:

Resistance IS futile. ;)

Nice job of ambassadorship Bell.

zach

Went to lunch at my normal McDonalds on Purcell / hwy 50 near the office .. all's well ..

She looked at me, looked at the 92FS, back at me, back at the FS, back at me and said .. not "how can I help you" .. but..

Me: .. hesitates, as I've never been asked that is such a naive way... "(laughs) Of course it is, In Colorado it's not illegal to open carry a firearm"
Cashier: "realllllly? Thats soooo cool!, I didn't know!" .. "oh, did you want to order?"

I thought this interesting not because she didn't know, but because the assumption with most of society is either you are a cop, or a bad guy if you carry.. not much in between, anyway, was a good interaction, sent her to opencarry.org for information because she wanted to run home and tell her father about how she saw a guy carrying a gun.. lol ..

--Rob

My observations.

1. The cashier actually spoke English well enough to understand? This seems to be rare these days!
2. You eat at McDonalds way to often :) (I don't think I've had anything besides coffee and and egg muffin in the last 20 years from McD's)
3. Good job being an ambassador.

I had lunch at Wendy's in Falcon last weekend after going to the range, still had my 1911 on my hip. Only 1 gentlemen said something, he pointed out to his daughter(maybe 5 years old) that I had a "weapon" on my hip. Then he asked me if it was a 1911. I replied yes, it's a Springfield 1911. He then told me he also has a 1911. I told him they're nice guns, very reliable. We exchanged "have a nice day" and both went about eating our lunch.

Just another day in CO.

Bellum_Intus

2. You eat at McDonalds way to often :) (I don't think I've had anything besides coffee and and egg muffin in the last 20 years from McD's)

Just another day in CO.

That's what everyone at the office says too... >.<

I was at a McDonalds in Colorado Springs last evening as well *sigh*

And very nice Wendys story, I go to the one in Pueblo West quite a bit.. *sigh* .. I need to eat better

--Rob

Last edited:

chrsjhnsn

--Rob

I had a similar experience at a gas station, I couldn't get over how cute she was and she was stoked to find out she can carry.

mwaterous

Sounds like the epitome of law enforcement to me?!

I'M JUST KIDDING. :D

LoneEchoWolf

Me and my brother were having the same general discussion earlier, and what Ive noticed is, that no matter how I'm dressed, casual jeans and shirt or tucked in dress shirt and work pants the first thing the "general public" jumps to is that I'm some sort of LEO because only LEO carry sidearms, And i wonder on a daily basis as i walk around how many are assuming I'm a LEO just because they don't know any better, should we start wearing giant signs that say "Not a LEO" and under it have our Second Amendment on it or something. I just wonder how much of the rest of the public acceptance is based off the assumption that we are all LEO no matter how we look, dress, talk. this is of course before the all to known "Are you a LEO" question, and we blow there whole world to pieces with the simple answer of "No, I'm a Law Abiding Citizen"

Wolfstanus

A women today thought I was a federal agent because I "kinda look like that agent guy in Fugitive". Don't know wich agent guy she was talking about.

People always confuse me with being some sort of police or agent. I'm skinny and at times I have a full beard. It's a little confusing why they come to that conclusion.

I have had one bad experience at loaf and jug with a lady that looked like a Walmart greeter. "he's going to kill us all" then she called the police they came by did their standard search ID me etc. 15 minutes later I was on my way and got free gas because of the trouble she caused.