• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWP turn around time?

CCinMaine

Mine have taken a month each. (Original application and a reapplication after I moved). But I've been hearing its taking a lot longer particularly applications through the state police.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Maine CWP Training

Title 25: INTERNAL SECURITY AND PUBLIC SAFETY
Part 5: PUBLIC SAFETY
Chapter 252: PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS

12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5 years. If the issuing authority does not issue or deny a request for a permit renewal within the time limits specified in this subsection, the validity of the expired permit is extended until the issuing authority issues or denies the renewal.

Maine Expat

Thanks Guys,

Looks like I'm in the 60+ day group since I just relocated back to Bangor after a 2 year stint in CT and I forgot to go to BMV to change my license over then. First thing I'll be doing on the 16th it seems. And it looks like I won't get to see the permit till my visit next year as I'll be back in Ukraine when it comes in the mail.

It'd be nice if they were faster though. meh, no biggie I can wait a year to OC in the car.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

Thanks Max.

I don't anticipate having mine in hand before I head back home to Ukraine so it looks like I'll hafta wait to carry legally in my car until next year.

MainelyGlock

Look down the Maine forum page some more and find my thread where I discussed the amount of time it took. It definitely wasn't 80 days though! Jeesh!

Flashlight

I just applied for my Maine out of state permit, how long should it take to get it?

It should be within 60 days as the law requires. But the State Police doesn't believe that the law applies to them so it will take a lot longer. I really don't know the time. Just don't expect it in 60 days.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

I have my app packet ready to go. I'm waiting for Wed (when my Big Green Wienie checks hit the bank, then off it goes.

Sadly I won't get to CC until next year as I'll be back over The Pond before the Permit arrives this year. I'll try to keep ya'll posted on the progress.

boyscout399

Got my permit in the mail today 2012 AUG 01. It was submitted on 2012 MAY 30 so it took almost exactly 60 days for my in state renewal.

boyscout399

Not too bad boyscout. At least now you can motor with a loaded FA. :monkey

It was a renewal, so I could motor already. My old permit expired on July 4th, but since I had submitted my application before the expiration, my old permit was still valid until I got my new one.