• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need information on police chief Frank Stroub.

fetch

Good Morning to Indiana,
I live in Spokane Washington and we have had a series of problems with police chiefs. The city is looking at former police chief Frank Stroub from Indianapolis, as our new police chief. One of the questions that probably will not be asked here is, How does Mr. Stroub stand on open carry? I would like to forward information to our mayor and city council. Nothing inflammatory, just need the facts. See article,

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jul/03/mayor-takes-chief-search-to-indiana/

Thank you,
Dan
Spokane, Wa.

hermannr

I watched a report on TV late news, channel 2 I think..anyway, his biggest problem is more personal accountability among the LEO's...that is why the police union doesn't like him. Yes, Spokane needs a needle in the police union's behind. At least the LEO's he fired in IN did NOT win their positions back in court, that would help a lot.

One of the things Condon seems to be looking for is someone to conmbine police and fire under a public safety umbrella. This guy did that in IN.

As for OC? Indiana has licensed OC, White Planes NY, does not have any OC for any practical purpose, though it is not actually against the law if you are licensed to carry. Did not hear anything in the report about what his stand on firarms was.

cce1302

You'll get more results from your search if you spell his name Straub. Here's what I came up with in a few minutes:

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-ille...t-up-mayoral-campaign-20110314,0,890531.story
U.S. Attorney Joe Hogsett told Fox59 News that he intended to roll out a strategy to attack the illegal gun problem by late March. That plan would include cooperation among several agencies. At the same news conference, Public Safety Dr. Director Frank Straub said he was ready to launch a cooperative campaign with Marion County Sheriff John Layton that would include handing out free gun locks. Layton says he has 800 gun locks ready to be distributed.

http://www.rlc.org/2010/01/10/indy-public-safety/

“In response to a question about illegally owned guns, [the newly appointed] Straub said there is no clear national policy on guns and that gun trafficking needs to be controlled. ‘My own personal perspective,’ he said during that interview, ‘is we have way too many guns on the street and way too many people that own guns’.”

“The concerns were fueled further by Straub’s support for the failed attempt to extend the 1994 ban on certain semiautomatic rifles. Straub, who was public safety commissioner in White Plains, NY, at the time, was among a group of law enforcement officials who met with individual members of Congress to express support for extending the ban so that modifications could be made. Some also have pointed to his membership in the International Association of Chiefs of Police, a group that, according to the National Rifle Association, works closely with the federal gun control lobby.”

WISH TV’s Jim Shella has a story on the opposition to Frank Straub in which he interviews Liz Karlson and explains her position. Stella reports, “Both on Facebook and in her role as chair of the Republican Liberty Caucus, Karlson makes the case that Ballard is not true to Republican principles.”

He concludes that this is just one battle in a much bigger war

http://www.ogdenonpolitics.com/2011/02/cib-and-colts-right-about-gun-bill-bill.html
Let me just also say that I'm not surprised to read in the article that Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard came down against gun possession. Ballard has shown time and time again his hostility to the Second Amendment and gun rights. I fully expect he will try to further restrict gun rights this year in response to gun violence and pressure from his liberal, anti-gun rights Public Safety Director Frank Straub.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...ction=display&article_id=1674&issue_id=112008

I searched "Frank Straub Gun" and "Frank Straub gun control" for these and many other stories. Basically, he's as anti-gun as a NY politician can be, which is probably why he didn't last long here in Indiana. God help you if he shows up in your town.

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
As for OC? Indiana has licensed OC, White Planes NY, does not have any OC for any practical purpose, though it is not actually against the law if you are licensed to carry. Did not hear anything in the report about what his stand on firarms was.

Actually, Indiana law is silent on OC/CC. All that is required to carry in Indiana is a valid License To Carry Handgun (LTCH). How a person carries is up to him/her.

hermannr

Actually, Indiana law is silent on OC/CC. All that is required to carry in Indiana is a valid License To Carry Handgun (LTCH). How a person carries is up to him/her.

That is Licensed OC...If you have to have a license to carry at all, you have to have a license to OC.

WA, OR, ID, MT, NV, OH, PA...and many other states are also silent on OC, but the "Right" to carry for the purpose of self defence is in their state constitutions...and you cannot license a "Right", therefore, unlicensed OC, as they mostly require a license to conceal (except for AK, AZ, WY (residents only), and VT, where you can OC or CC without a license)