• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the OC CC requirements in Indiana?

Fallschirjmäger

I'm a bit pressed for time and my research skills are a bit off tonight so I'm relying on the members here for a few answers.

1. What documentation is required to be carried when OC/CC in Indiana?
2. Is the mere carrying of arms sufficiently suspicious that an officer may perform a detention upon being made aware of one?

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
All you need is a valid license, permit, CPL, (whatever your state calls it) issued by your state. Indiana law is silent on OC/CC. There is nothing in the code that specifically says how you must carry. However, there are times when someone that is OC'ing will attract attention. Police interaction varies from city to city. Some police don't care if you OC, others have been known to show their lack of knowledge concerning OC in Indiana. While you may be stopped by law enforcement and be asked to see your "permit", once you have proven you are legal, the stop (and any subsequent questioning) SHOULD end. The keyword is "should".

By the way, IANAL. :)

Fallschirjmäger

I had to ask, I ran into someone today who insists that a person is required to have not only their license to carry, but their driving license in order to carry legally. This didn't jive with what little I know of IN law.

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
I have gone through the Indiana State Police's FAQ regarding handgun licensing and the Indiana Code (http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html), I cannot find any requirement of needing a driver's license in addition to a state issued carry "permit" (license, etc.) in order to lawfully carry a handgun in Indiana.

This taken from the ISP FAQ:

I am a resident of another state and I have a valid handgun license issued by my home state. Does Indiana honor my out-of-state license?

Yes. Indiana honors valid handgun licenses issued by other states according to the terms thereof. (NOTE: Residents of Indiana must have an Indiana License to Carry a Handgun to lawfully carry a handgun in Indiana.) Illinois issues a Firearms Owners Identification (FOI) card. This card relates to the purchasing of firearms, not a permit to routinely carry a handgun and is therefore is not honored as such in Indiana.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
I had to ask, I ran into someone today who insists that a person is required to have not only their license to carry, but their driving license in order to carry legally. This didn't jive with what little I know of IN law.

Ask the person to cite the reason for their belief. It is unfounded.

A drivers license is only required to drive a vehicle and has never been required or even associated with carrying a handgun in Indiana.

Grutte Pier

OC indiana

ok, the way I understand now is that if stopped for whatever reason while NOT driving a vehicle I DO have to show my CPL?
That would be the only difference I know of with MI, here if carrying while walking we do not have to show ANY ID or even consent to talking to the LEO.

Titanium_frost

ok, the way I understand now is that if stopped for whatever reason while NOT driving a vehicle I DO have to show my CPL?
That would be the only difference I know of with MI, here if carrying while walking we do not have to show ANY ID or even consent to talking to the LEO.

Yes. It is different because OC is not legal unless you possess a permit from your state or a nonresident from a different state.

You do not ever have to show your DL unless you are actually operating a vehicle. You only need to identify yourself if it is an infraction or ordinance violation and then only by name, address and DOB is required.

I believe all relevant IC has been posted but if you can't find it I will post a link for you.

GONZO!!!

When I first started CCing I printed out some basic regulations and laws and had them tucked away in the driver door of my vehicle. They have been there ever since just as a precaution in case I am ever questioned by a LEO and need to have some sort of answer at the ready.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Indiana

http://myrighttocary.com/?page_id=295

these are just very basic but at least you get an overview.

the other thing is...AND THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCE...if I get stopped by a LEO and asked, I wll most certainly produce my DL and LTCH. I am legal and no issues whatsoever with handing a LEO my ID. Why should I? Someday I may need a friendly LEO face in a not-so-good situation....Now if the Leo is an A-hole Johnny Rambo Cop, then yeah, I might let him know that I am aware of my rights AND the law...but I have, as of yet, been stopped or questioned. As I told in another thread, at the Chik-Fil-A Support Wednesday, as we were trying to leave a VERY crowded CFA, I got stuck in line and was standing directly in front of a table wth uniformed LEOs. I was OCing...They were eyeball-to-holster level wth my cocked and locked 1911 in my Blackhawk holster and while they did glance at it and me, nothing was said and they continued on with their food and their conversation.

BAck to the issue at hand...if you are going to carry and you plan on standing on your 2A Rghts and/or state laws if questioned, then educate yourself completely. And get the info from a good source (mine are not that good, I just have them as a quick reference).

GONZO!!!

crambone219

what are the requirements????????,,,,a gun on your side in the open is about it my friend!..lol...and a permit to do so