Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Doctor refuses patient due to gun ownership

  1. #1
    Regular Member TheSzerdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Melvindale, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    290

    Doctor refuses patient due to gun ownership

    I've heard of a doctor refusing to take on a patient because they are a gun owner, but never from the person it happened to. It's always been a friend of a friend type thing. Anyone have a personal account of this happening?

    I know some doctor's offices have you fill out questionnaires that include asking if there are guns in the home. Anyone heard of a doctor refusing service due to affirmative or non-answer?

    Apparently Florida passed a law banning asking patients about gun ownership, but a judge struck down the legislation.

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/0...ides-with.html

  2. #2
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    It's right the FL law got struck down. As a free market person, I know you'd hate for a Doctor to be forced to see someone/not. E able to ask any questions they'd like -- right Andrew?

    ETA -- no personal experience or knowledge of this happening. My doctor does know that I carry. Once I was in his office and he was scolding me about my weight going up, I lifted my shirt and told him to deduct 2 pounds as I showed him my IWB carried arm.

    He was merely curious why I carried, I told him "self protection". After I told him that he affirmed that he has absolutely no problem with people carrying guns. He seems libertarian-like.
    Last edited by TheQ; 07-03-2012 at 08:55 PM.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I OC at my Dr. office, they love it. They didnt mind either way, until someone tried to shoot the pharmacist there. Now they like that I carry there. They had left the bullet hole in the countertop until they moved to the new building.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 07-03-2012 at 11:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    If you don't like the questions your doctor asks, find another doctor.

    If he/she refused to see me because I own/carry, **** em. I didn't want them being my doctor anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  5. #5
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    If you don't like the questions your doctor asks, find another doctor.

    If he/she refused to see me because I own/carry, **** em. I didn't want them being my doctor anyway.

    Yeah, that!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  6. #6
    Regular Member Ezerharden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Erie, MI
    Posts
    744
    Sadly I cannot carry to my doctors. I have VA medical, and of course being federal buildings they are all criminal empowerment zones. Pretty sad they do not even trust their own veterans to carry a weapon in civilian life after years of carrying one to protect this country.
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 07-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

    I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

    For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3

    personal right of doctor OR mandated interrogation by the state?

    I can see no problem with some independent doctor who is personally offended by my gun ownership asking me to find a different doctor. He can conduct business with who he or she chooses. BUT, now that our chancellor and his government have ultimate power over our health care we must assume that it will be Hermano Mayor mining the plebes for information about their filthy habits. I answer that particular question with N.O.Y.F.B!!!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Sadly I cannot carry to my doctors. I have VA medical, and of course being federal buildings they are all criminal empowerment zones. Pretty sad they do not even trust their own veterans to carry a weapon in civilian life after years of carrying one to protect this country.
    And this is why on the 4th, I refuse to watch fireworks. No point in celebrating freedoms we don't have.

    I go to the range instead, to practice for the next Independence Day.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Macomb County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by honest2pete View Post
    I can see no problem with some independent doctor who is personally offended by my gun ownership asking me to find a different doctor. He can conduct business with who he or she chooses. BUT, now that our chancellor and his government have ultimate power over our health care we must assume that it will be Hermano Mayor mining the plebes for information about their filthy habits. I answer that particular question with N.O.Y.F.B!!!
    I agree. People are free to Do business with whomever they like but we are also free to let everyone know the doctors name and how he feels (anti-gun) and help to blackball him by letting others be aware of his views. Maybe if he loses enough business he'll change his tune.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •