• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doctor refuses patient due to gun ownership

TheSzerdi

I've heard of a doctor refusing to take on a patient because they are a gun owner, but never from the person it happened to. It's always been a friend of a friend type thing. Anyone have a personal account of this happening?

I know some doctor's offices have you fill out questionnaires that include asking if there are guns in the home. Anyone heard of a doctor refusing service due to affirmative or non-answer?

Apparently Florida passed a law banning asking patients about gun ownership, but a judge struck down the legislation.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/02/v-fullstory/2879089/miami-federal-judge-sides-with.html

TheQ

It's right the FL law got struck down. As a free market person, I know you'd hate for a Doctor to be forced to see someone/not. E able to ask any questions they'd like -- right Andrew?

ETA -- no personal experience or knowledge of this happening. My doctor does know that I carry. Once I was in his office and he was scolding me about my weight going up, I lifted my shirt and told him to deduct 2 pounds as I showed him my IWB carried arm.

He was merely curious why I carried, I told him "self protection". After I told him that he affirmed that he has absolutely no problem with people carrying guns. He seems libertarian-like.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I OC at my Dr. office, they love it. They didnt mind either way, until someone tried to shoot the pharmacist there. Now they like that I carry there. They had left the bullet hole in the countertop until they moved to the new building.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

If you don't like the questions your doctor asks, find another doctor.

If he/she refused to see me because I own/carry, **** em. I didn't want them being my doctor anyway.

Ezerharden

Sadly I cannot carry to my doctors. I have VA medical, and of course being federal buildings they are all criminal empowerment zones. Pretty sad they do not even trust their own veterans to carry a weapon in civilian life after years of carrying one to protect this country.

Last edited:

honest2pete

personal right of doctor OR mandated interrogation by the state?

I can see no problem with some independent doctor who is personally offended by my gun ownership asking me to find a different doctor. He can conduct business with who he or she chooses. BUT, now that our chancellor and his government have ultimate power over our health care we must assume that it will be Hermano Mayor mining the plebes for information about their filthy habits. I answer that particular question with N.O.Y.F.B!!!

stainless1911

Banned
Sadly I cannot carry to my doctors. I have VA medical, and of course being federal buildings they are all criminal empowerment zones. Pretty sad they do not even trust their own veterans to carry a weapon in civilian life after years of carrying one to protect this country.

And this is why on the 4th, I refuse to watch fireworks. No point in celebrating freedoms we don't have.

I go to the range instead, to practice for the next Independence Day.

mikestilly

I can see no problem with some independent doctor who is personally offended by my gun ownership asking me to find a different doctor. He can conduct business with who he or she chooses. BUT, now that our chancellor and his government have ultimate power over our health care we must assume that it will be Hermano Mayor mining the plebes for information about their filthy habits. I answer that particular question with N.O.Y.F.B!!!

I agree. People are free to Do business with whomever they like but we are also free to let everyone know the doctors name and how he feels (anti-gun) and help to blackball him by letting others be aware of his views. Maybe if he loses enough business he'll change his tune.