• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving through Virginia

Sheriff

If a jurisdiction has a police department, then the sheriff's deputies do not have general arrest powers within that jurisdiction; otherwise, the sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer.

Can you define the word "general arrest powers" please? The City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County both have police departments and Sheriff's Offices. I can not think of one single offense where a sheriff's deputy doesn't have full arrest powers. If a sheriff's deputy clocks somebody at 65 mph in a 35 zone, he can write the person a summons. If a deputy witnesses somebody shoplifting, he can arrest the person. If a sheriff's deputy sees a man assault another out on Main Street, he can arrest the man. If a sheriff's deputy sees somebody concealing a weapon without a permit, he can arrest the person. And if a sheriff's deputy catches some guy raping, robbing or murdering somebody, the sheriff's deputy can arrest the person.

optiksguy

If a jurisdiction has a police department, then the sheriff's deputies do not have general arrest powers within that jurisdiction; otherwise, the sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer.

Hope this is not a silly question, but what's the benefit (to the locality) of having a police department as opposed to a sheriff ? I like the idea of a sheriff being accountable through elections. Is it simply so law enforcement in the county is answerable to the Board of Supervisors and not an independently elected sheriff?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hope this is not a silly question, but what's the benefit (to the locality) of having a police department as opposed to a sheriff ? I like the idea of a sheriff being accountable through elections. Is it simply so law enforcement in the county is answerable to the Board of Supervisors and not an independently elected sheriff?

Without getting too deep into the technicalities - a Sheriff's Dept that only has to provide courtroom security (bailiffs), run the jail, and serve civil processes is a lot less headache and cost than one that is "full service".

There is also that other matter of who gets to be the boss over whom. Do something (or your officers do it) that irritates the citizenry when Chief of Police and they can put pressure on the BoS to fire you. They can also jerk your chain with budgets and allocation of "common" resources. Sheriff can only be not reelected. He gets to tell the BoS what his budget will be and has some leverage in making them cough up enough money to meet it.

Also, iirc a Sheriff can arbitrarily fire any Deputy, while a Chief of Police has to follow county HR policy.

stay safe.

Sheriff

Also, iirc a Sheriff can arbitrarily fire any Deputy........

With or without cause is the best way to describe arbitrarily in this case. After 24 years of employment with steadily rising performance evaluations each year, I learned this this the hard way. I already knew it, but I also learned it by example.

Many other deputies statewide simply get fired because a new incoming sheriff doesn't like them or thinks they supported his/her opponent. The new incoming sheriff in Greene County did not reappoint 5 or 6 deputies earlier this year.

Police officers have what is commonly called a Bill of Rights in the Virginia state code. It's not perfect, but it's a lot more protection than deputy sheriffs have.

09jisaac

That's the beauty of the internet. You can still make new friends and not stop. You don't have to be planning a trip to come over here and visit.

That is true, but I enjoy putting faces to the user names.

Is that clear as mud?

Just about.

I always try not to do business with anyone who thinks that a sign will reduce crime but sometimes that is difficult.

papa bear

welcome to VA. the laws in VA are very current with laws in KY. thanks in both for citizens that react.

if you are going to Myrtle beach i would worry more about NC and SC. especially SC, from what i understand there is no OC in that state, and they do have some funny ways of dealing

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
welcome to VA. the laws in VA are very current with laws in KY. thanks in both for citizens that react.

if you are going to Myrtle beach i would worry more about NC and SC. especially SC, from what i understand there is no OC in that state, and they do have some funny ways of dealing

That is correct - SC does not allow OC even with a permit.
http://www.opencarry.org/sc.html

TFred

That is correct - SC does not allow OC even with a permit.
http://www.opencarry.org/sc.html
One of only seven left. A dishonorable minority.

TFred

opencarrymap.png

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Left out on purpose.. Not a state.. D.C. = Doesn't Count! :)

TFred

Occasionally there is talk about giving NoVa to D.C. For one, I would prefer reclaiming our original contribution and making it subject to Virginia law. On 2nd thought maybe not, considering their voting record. :(

TFred

Occasionally there is talk about giving NoVa to D.C. For one, I would prefer reclaiming our original contribution and making it subject to Virginia law. On 2nd thought maybe not, considering their voting record. :(
Geography-wise, it belongs to Maryland... and yeah... we don't want it represented in Richmond at all!

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

But it's all dirty and smells bad, Grape!:cry:

TFred

Learned something new today, the part in red:

The states of Maryland and Virginia donated land along the Potomac River to form the federal district; however, Congress returned the Virginia portion in 1846.

That refers to what we know as Alexandria.
Well, while you're learnin'... :)

I used to live up there... glad I don't any more...

As most know, the layout of DC is a square twisted about 45 degrees, so it would be resting on a point. The parts north of the Potomac River are still DC, and make up somewhere around 2/3 of the original square that was designated DC.

I'm not an expert on the specifics that returned the Virginia portion, but for the most part, the square area on the south side of the river is actually Arlington County, plus the eastern half of what is currently the City of Alexandria.

You can pull up a map of the area and follow the boundary lines of Arlington along what would fill in the square shaped area, and see that it cuts right through the middle of Alexandria, more or less along King Street, all the way to the Potomac River.

Alexandria is one of those address names that is incorrectly associated with too much territory, as a good portion of Fairfax County addresses are listed as Alexandria. I'm not sure if that is the case for Arlington, however.

Anyway... just filling in the rest.

Arlington county limits: http://goo.gl/maps/OP9s
Alexandria city limits: http://goo.gl/maps/Nafn

And just for fun, here's the DC limits: http://goo.gl/maps/nwvl

TFred

Last edited:

09jisaac

Thanks for the heads up papa bear. I have been researching those too, Virginia was just easier and the first state I would cross into out of Kentucky.

Also, thanks Peter Nap. I think I have seen you in a movie somewhere.