• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gasworks Park, and OC----CC

Beretta92FSLady

I heard on NPR that the police are going to be searching bags at Gasworks park in Seattle. Am I wrong about this: Isn't it a public space? Can the police really stop you from taking your family (or yourself) there to watch fireworks, if you are OC or CC'ing?

I'm not a newbie here, but I thought it odd to hear that LEO's would be searching backpacks, and such.

[h=2]Gas Works Park[/h] [h=3]Getting In[/h] Gas Works Park opens at noon on July 4 and admission is free. There are two entrance gates to the Family 4th, one at the north end of the parking lot and the other to the south. There will be a security check prior to entering the park and all those entering are subject to search. Prohibited items:

• Personal Barbecues
  • Alcohol
  • Fireworks
  • Pets
  • Weapons
  • Tent Stakes
  • Glass bottles
  • Knives with blades over 3" in length
http://family4th.org/information

Last edited:

deanf

The event is produced by onereel, which appears to be private. They may have a lease agreement with the City for the park for the duration of the event, which would give them private property rights within the lease area.

That is one way they could get away with the ban on weapons.

Last edited:

hermannr

Maybe this is another little "tweek that we need if you can get the right people elected. That, unlicensed loaded vehicle carry, and at least a minimum of an exemption to the "display" problem.